How much better than PS3 is PS4?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Notabot

How much better than PS3 is PS4?

Post by Notabot »

I'm halfway considering getting a PS4 because my PS3 scratches the tops of all discs it plays. Doesn't hurt the play, but it just bothers me to think that anything I put in there (especially Blurays) isn't going to come out mint.

Is the PS4 really that much better than the PS3? I've got plenty of unplayed PS3 games yet, and it doesn't bother me as much if they get scratched since re-selling them isn't really worth much. I haven't really seen anything that's PS4 exclusive that really made me go "Wow!"

My current plan of attack is probably to get a bluray player for cheap, keep the PS3, and maybe get a WiiU on the faulty logic of "I saved more than that by not getting the PS4 I wasn't really going to get." But if the PS4 is actually great, I might go that direction instead.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Notabot wrote:Is the PS4 really that much better than the PS3?
From what I've seen, not really. The hardware is definitely better, but the improvements in the games themselves aren't anywhere near as noticeable as between the PS2 and PS3, or the PS1 and PS2. When the new-gen consoles came out I figured it was just a matter of time before there were games that took full advantage of what they can do and blew me away, but it's been around two years now and nothing I've seen has wowed me into buying one yet.

Also, if memory serves the PS4 is not backwards-compatible, so you'd still need to hang onto the PS3 if you ever wanted to get through that stack of unplayed games.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

I really like my PS4, and haven't turned on my PS3 since buying it. The games look really good, but as Warcry mentioned, it's not one of those moment where the technology has really made a jump. Battlefront is by far the prettiest game I have played by far, and I only have a 32" 720p LED TV. I can verify that it isn't backwards compatible. Apparently PS2 games are coming to the PS Store sometime in the future (possibly PS3 as well?) but they are not compatible with PS3 discs, nor does Sony intend to make them compatible.

The things I like most about the PS4 over the PS3 are the interface (polished, but similar), and the controller. I absolutely hated the PS3 controller, but I find the Dualshock 4 to be incredibly comfortable - it's right up there with the GameCube controller for my favorite.

All of that said, I managed to get my PS4 for essentially $80 out-of-pocket after selling a gob of things on eBay, trade-ins, and gift cards. Upgrading for cheap really helps. Dropping $400 straight away is tough, but they also offer several bundles that come with games; I got mine with Arkham Knight & Destiny for normal MSRP.

Keep an eye out with GameStop... they run promos from time to time that will give you $150 trade credit towards a PS4 with your PS3 trade, if you're willing to part with it.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I haven't really turned on my PS3 since I got my PS4, although that's more due to not being sure which box my PS3 games are in. It's a good system, but the graphic improvement isn't amazing.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Well, it's one better, isn't it?
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Maybe the graphics aren't massively better, but are the game worlds significantly bigger? Remember how many PS2 titles seemed to be open world, but in reality they were just funnelling you down an invisible one-way path?

I'd be happy if the graphics were the same but the worlds were actual large lush worlds to run around in.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Yes, the game worlds seem to be much larger. Granted, my sample size is relatively small, but Arkham Knight has a HUGE map. I thought Arkham City was a big game, but to me it almost felt like the 3 individual islands were almost a game map each. Yet, you can easily travel between them without hitting loading screens or anything.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Auntie Slag wrote:Maybe the graphics aren't massively better, but are the game worlds significantly bigger? Remember how many PS2 titles seemed to be open world, but in reality they were just funnelling you down an invisible one-way path?

I'd be happy if the graphics were the same but the worlds were actual large lush worlds to run around in.

Depends on the game really.

I got an Xbox One and DAI was the first game I bought and HOLY $HIT is the difference between the Xb1 and 360 versions is pretty damn big and the Xb1 version of DA:I is lightyears ahead of the 360 version and I'm not a graphics nut but even I can see a major difference it's pretty damn impressive. I would guess since I also got a PS3 and DA:I on that system as well it would be just as big. I've heard and read that Xbox One and PS4 versions of Transformers: Devastation are much better than Xbox 360 and PS3 versions.

However the difference between other "Definitive Editions" or "HD remasters" like the Tomb Raider reboot and Saints Row IV look and sound pretty much the same to me.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

I'm thinking the same these days...

I have a PS3 already [just need to ship it to the country of residence!].

I have no real desire to play videogames anymore [don't really do Batman--Arkham thingies or Assasin's Creed, no real survival horror games coming out anymore, have not even bought Dead Space 3] so buying an overly glorified blu-ray player [for my needs, that is] when I already have one I can ship to me seems a bit...excessive, for 300-400 pounds these days.

Damn this growing older and losing interest in the cool things gig :lol:
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

So I broke down and got a PS4 with Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars and some (turns out) crappy free downloads. I like the feel of the controller a lot, and I hope the touch pad is used well. The concave analog sticks are awfully nice.

I don't have any games that I've played on both systems, but the PS4 does seem to handle things better. Some of the online reviews of games loading "instantly" are clearly bologna, but I think it's preloading an awful lot of stuff. The little details in the graphics are significantly better, and environmental stuff seems a lot nicer. I'm not too jazzed by the bland homescreen, but then again, the PS3 homescreen annoyed me greatly at first as well.

So, if I had a time machine, I'd probably go back and not buy it, but I don't think I'm going to go through the hassle of trying to return it after I've opened all the games and figures inside. It's a nice little treat for myself, and as I get more games I'll like it more. It's just a little underwhelming out of the box.

Thanks for all the input, and I know you will all sleep much better knowing what I've done. :)