Batman vs Superman... possible flame thread

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

Post by Sades »

So we saw this.
SPOILER! (select to read)
How awesome did Ocean Khal Drogo look? And Wonder Woman was cool.

The rest, meh. This isn't my thing. It was a decent action flick but I've seen better. And this isn't even my fandom, but I know the Batman origin story. The rehash seemed unnecessary at this point (except for the flashback later on).

The Marthas thing made me think of this. I know that wasn't the point, but I still laughed a bit.

How did Bruce Wayne manage to go for the hard gainz without getting Rhabdo? Those were some serious lifts.

Oh, OH. And Superman jumped into that bathtub with his fricking shoes on! He just came in from outside in those things. I don't care who you are, no lady is gonna give you sweet lovin' if you jump into her bathtub with your shoes on.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Sades wrote:
SPOILER! (select to read)
And this isn't even my fandom, but I know the Batman origin story. The rehash seemed unnecessary at this point (except for the flashback later on).

The Marthas thing made me think of this. I know that wasn't the point, but I still laughed a bit.
I'd imagine that's intended as a parody of the film, tbf.

Also yeah, retelling the origin has no point other than to set-up that really really ****ing idiotic pay-off. So in a contextual sense, it's there for a reason, just a shame the reason is so brain-punchingly dumb.

But yeah, Wonder Woman best thing in it.
Sades

Post by Sades »

You know, I was disappointed there was not very much Aquaman in this movie. There better be Aquaman, AND a Kraken in the next one.
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:I'd imagine that's intended as a parody of the film, tbf.
Ah, sorry, clumsy phrasing/missing context. What can I say, I'm lazy.

I was aware beforehand that it was parodying the movie, but I happened to see the image first so when it came up in the movie, I laughed and thought of the cartoon. By "I know that's not the point", I meant that that bit in the movie wasn't about samey names but was more meant to show Bruce that Supes was "human" after all by linking his fear of losing his mother to Bruce's loss so that Bruce would stop hating his near-omnipotent guts so we could get awesome slow-mo posed group shots mid-battle.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Skyquake87 wrote:Just remembered how much I'd love to see Marshal Law adapted into a film.
I used to think "Marshal Law" was some kind of a Punisher storyline, probably because it was mentioned in that context in the Finnish language edition of the series, so now that you mentioned it, I had to look it up...

...and apparently Marshal Law DID get one Finnish publication, and was voted the worst Marvel character for years afterwards.

Which speaks more about the Finnish comic readership than the comic probably.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Whatever flaws the films do have, I do think it's a good idea that DC are trying to create a different feel to the generally more light hearted and fun Marvel stuff for their movies. Variety is a good thing.

It's also good to hear Wonder Woman seems to have gone down well with even people who loathed it, there's a character who has always felt oddly neglected by cinema considering she has the fondly remembered TV show to ensure most people know who she is.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Tetsuro wrote:I used to think "Marshal Law" was some kind of a Punisher storyline, probably because it was mentioned in that context in the Finnish language edition of the series, so now that you mentioned it, I had to look it up...

...and apparently Marshal Law DID get one Finnish publication, and was voted the worst Marvel character for years afterwards.

Which speaks more about the Finnish comic readership than the comic probably.
sort of. Marshal Law has been a character with diminishing returns, thanks to the blunting of Pat Mills wit. The initial six-issue series from Epic , the two 'bookshelf' adventures 'Takes Manhattan' (a savage satire of the Marvel pantheon) and 'Kingdom Of The Blind' (a riff on Batman) are all great, and after that, its steadily downhill. I recall ML did get to Hollywood at some stage, and just got stuck in Development Hell and that was that.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Yeah, apparently said Finnish publication was a single 100 page special in the mid-90's, which featured "Marshal Law Takes Manhattan" and a bunch of other superhero parodies more in the vein of Mad Magazine.

To give you some sort of idea what kind of a landscape comics have here, the only three titles I can think of that have appeared on supermarket shelves consistently for decades are Donald Duck, Asterix and Tex Willer. There's also a war comic anthology type series that just reprints material from various sources.

I can't even remember the last time I saw an honest to god cape title on a shelf.
Brownner
Protoform

Post by Brownner »

tfforlife12

Post by tfforlife12 »

Just got the extended edition and it is way better than the theatrical cut of the movie.