Natgeo Wild

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

I overheard someone talking about her male dog and its mother having puppies together. Is this normal?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Yes. Animals have no concept of incest. And if the mother is nearest available mate, she'll do.

And now, for a couple of my favourite quotes from the mighty Preacher:

"After centuries of inbreeding, we're lucky the b******* doesn't have antennae."

"son of man or son of God, you can't f*** your sister and expect much of good of it."
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

So it's ok for spiders, bears, and other animals to kill and eat their own young for survival. Doesn't that make them worse than Jeffrey Dalmer?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Again, you're thinking from a purely human perspective. We have shrugged off the wild for shirts, ties, tax avoidance and shoes. Also cutlery and a worrying lack of interest in trying to save our world before its too f***ked to support any life.

"Is it ok?" Is not the right question. Besides which, you've already answered it:

for survival.

If there's nothing else around, what are you going to do as a bear or spider? You can't be all Bear Ghrylls and bob back to your hotel.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

You can't hold other species to your own moral standards.

Different things are different.

What year of your philosophy degree are you on, out of interest?
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

I'm a philosophy hobbyist.

We hold animals to our moral standards when we impose the death penalty on them when they eat a person or child.

Bears alway eat people and children. A pig ate a baby, so has snakes. Pit bulls kill kids often. We kill these animals in kind.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Isn't that more a practical thing, though? At that point they've become a danger. The same has been done with bears that start eating human garbage, due to the fact that that means they lose their fear of people and seek them out.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

If animals are for practical purposes then why is bestiality considered animal cruelty?
Sades

Post by Sades »

I'm not sure where you got the "animals are for practical purposes" from, unless you've misinterpreted what I said.

Perhaps "practical" was the wrong word, anyway. Precautionary. Even then, there are exceptions (ie Tilikum has killed three people).
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Why is the Sun wrong?

Oof. Don't think I've got enough time, tbh.
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

Female mantises bite off the head of the male during mating. Why?
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Christ, it's like taking a Turing test...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

dura wrote:Female mantises bite off the head of the male during mating. Why?

Well, that's women for you.

AM I RIGHT GUYS?

Guys?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

Some species of spiders, the male will break off his penis and leave it inside the female as a plug. Researchers believe this increases the males aggression so that he can fight off other male spiders who try to mate with her.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Love the Turtles one they did.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Snickering in a quiet classroom makes me self conscious.
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

Even After Mating, the Female can Toss Your Genetic Code to the Wind

Female crickets can hold onto the sperm from multiple male partners. Imagine your hypothetical mate keeping the genetic information from their last nine partners along with them at all times, and then deciding to pick some genes from ten years ago to spawn her child? That's insane. Seriously, I question my sanity for writing that line. Back to crickets. The female cricket, settling down after a polyamorous run about, then chooses which sperm to use to create a future generation of crickets. The amount of sperm stored by the female can be changed by movements in their abdominal muscles, with the goal of storage being to diversify the population by selecting for unrelated crickets. Female crickets, however, will still gladly mate with related crickets.
Sades

Post by Sades »

You must be fun at parties. Are you fun at parties?

*noisily slurps vegetable broth*