Natgeo Wild

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

Honey bees are perhaps the most famous of the cock-blockers. First the young queen bee leads drones on a high-speed chase; only the fastest get a chance to mate and die. In a mid-air mating, the male honey bee’s penis explodes with ejaculation, and the eviscerated male falls from the sky to die alone in the shrubbery.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Are you mentally ill? Serious question.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

Male bed bugs take part in a rare and brutal form of insect mating called “traumatic insemination.” They mate by stabbing their saber-like penis through the abdomen of females and inseminating directly into her body cavity. There isn’t some easily explained evolutionary reason for this horror on the female bed bug’s end – actually, it’s the opposite. Females often suffer from this form of mating, and can die from wounds and potential infections. Traumatic insemination in bed bugs is, according to Cornell biologists Alastair Stutt and Michael Sive-Jothy, “a coercive male copulatory strategy that results in a sexual conflict of interests.”
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

It's like Tramp found the Discovery Channel.
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Mod Hat On:

Dura, just because your lack of engagement with other posters and the fact it's looking like you're doing a lot of cut and pasting from wikipedia is starting to look odd, could you just make your next post in this thread say "I am not a spam bot" please?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Sades

Post by Sades »

And io9, Livescience, Wired, etc. It's getting a bit old.

Seriously though, how old are you?
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

Over 40.
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

What is cancer? I know it effect all members of the animal kingdom?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Put simply, where cells reproduce uncontrollably within a particular part of an organism.
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

What is the physical manifestation of cancer? Is it really all that bad?
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

dura wrote:What is the physical manifestation of cancer? Is it really all that bad?
Anything between a lump that needs removing and uncontrollable crippling death, usually.
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

I've seen the same thing happen after surgery, removing over half the stomach ~60% because an X-Ray said it was the precursor to cancer.

Uncontrollable, crippling death followed even though the supposed pre-cancerous area was removed.

It seems like the treatment is far worse than cancer could ever be.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Elephants have very low rates of cancer.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

dura wrote:Uncontrollable, crippling death followed even though the supposed pre-cancerous area was removed.
Yeah well death comes to everything eventually. People who've just had over half their stomach removed, probably a bit more at risk. Not all cancer affects the stomach and there are multiple treatments available depending on the location, stage and how far it's spread.
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

Is cancer worse than HIV?

Is cancer worse than taking out over half of ones stomach, or cutting off your breasts?

How bad is cancer really? Doesn't surgery do more damage?

Steve Jobs did not die of cancer. He died of pancreatic surgery. Maybe if he just left it alone he would have lived longer.

Maybe if people would just live with the cancer they would live longer, instead of letting doctors take knives and cut them up. That's the real tragedy.
dura
Protoform

Females are superior

Post by dura »

Here's an example:

What happens when the queen dies? Who replaces her?
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

dura wrote:Maybe if people would just live with the cancer they would live longer, instead of letting doctors take knives and cut them up. That's the real tragedy.
The real tragedy here is your spectacularly ill-informed opinions.

Cancer spreads to other parts of the body. The lungs, the brain, places like that. These are called secondary tumours. They're a bit like spores floating on the wind, except it's little shards of death floating through your body rather than seeds drifting on the wind. Secondary tumours are incredibly difficult to remove, solely because there are so many of them - they hide, they land in places you don't know they've landed. Because, y'know, seeds on the wind.

You can remove a primary tumour before it starts spreading and eliminate the problem before it starts, at the cost of a piece of yourself. OR you can leave it, let it spread and die in agony, a shadow of yourself, making your friends and family watch. Or maybe go through some form of chemotherapy or radiotherapy in the hope of killing it all of without damaging your own immune system along the way.

The surgery to remove the affected tissue is generally elective. That means the patient has a choice. Sure, there can be complications. All medical procedures have a risk to them. It doesn't mean you get to be a judgemental prick about people doing what they think best to save their own life.

As far as I care you're one step away from preaching homeopathy.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Yeah, but who's going to listen to him?

He's just going to ignore your post, anyway. Waste of energy.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Yeah, but it helps to say it.

He'll probably start on about some anti-vaccination bullshit next.