I'm thinking about getting a smartphone

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

I'm thinking about getting a smartphone

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

and my carrier has two models
Apple Iphone 6
Samsong Galaxy S-7

Anybody have any opinions on which is better.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
oneagainstall
Protoform

Post by oneagainstall »

I'd prefer Galaxy.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Both a rip off -- not necessarily in terms of what you get with the hardware, but in terms of use you'll get out of it. When smartphones get to the point of replacing other computers (i.e. dock them with a usefully sized screen and peripherals) there might be some point, but for calls and apps "progress" is mostly "solutions" looking for problems.

Otherwise, if you're already in the Apple ecosystem, you're probably going to be happier sticking with it, and if not there's plenty of reasons Android's in a dominant position.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

I've only had iPhone in recent history, so I can't speak to Android users. Primarily we have Apple because our family members already have Apple and it's easy for FaceTime since we live 1600 miles from them. The phones function just fine for us.

Otherwise, the people I know that do Galaxies really like them, and some of those people prefer them over Apple (and have had both).
Clay

Post by Clay »

I'd had two Galaxies now (s5 and s8) and like them. Can vouch for the operating quality being better than the generic smartphone I had from 2012-2015.
Denyer wrote:Both a rip off -- not necessarily in terms of what you get with the hardware, but in terms of use you'll get out of it. When smartphones get to the point of replacing other computers (i.e. dock them with a usefully sized screen and peripherals) there might be some point, but for calls and apps "progress" is mostly "solutions" looking for problems.
Well, yes and no. I know that I've not needed to carry a camera or music player since I've had a smartphone. If I were a professional photographer, then yeah I'd want a proper camera, but for general purposes the smartphone has absorbed the utility of separate devices. I also like to use dropbox for notes/dictating manifestos, so having the phone have a word processor which immediately syncs back up to the computer is neat.

As far as useful computing power? Oh yeah, these things are complete overkill. But as you say, solutions find problems... I find myself playing various mobile games.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Mmm, Samsung hardware's certainly nice enough -- I've got a couple of older rooted Galaxy demo units (an A5 and an A3) that are useful as mini tablets for Google searches and YouTube videos. Don't need a flagship handset for calls + media/photos, though. Choice of OS is generally down to what paid-for apps you've already got, and if you haven't got any previous ties then it's simply a question of how much you like to be able to customise your environment.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

I got a Galaxy S7 because my provider said I could get one for free.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

"Free" at how much a month in a minimum contract of how long?