Doctor Who Series 11 Thread.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
oneagainstall
Protoform

Post by oneagainstall »

Guys what do you think about "The Woman Who Fell to Earth"?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Thought it was a good'un.

This week's in India was the best so far and a real return to form after a couple of mediocre episodes. Looks like the heights of the Chibnall era are going to be the more thoughtful and introspective historical stuff. The monster was a bit forced, but otherwise a good'un.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Agreed. The monsters felt horribly tacked on and I think Who has always struggled with having to have something fantastical in it, as if it feels the need to justify itself or maybe with the thought that the audience will get bored and wander off.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I like her shirt.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Sades

Post by Sades »

We watched "It Takes You Away" last night and the ending was meh.

The dad character pissed me off a bit, basically psychologically tortures his kid for days for his own convenience and then at the end, everything is just FIIIIINE. I get that it needs to be because TV, but shit. Dad is a selfish prick, I'd still be worried for that kid at the end of it. :p
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

It's funny, because this run of Who has been criticized for being too 'politically correct', but some of the stuff that's been left hanging is just bizarre... the spiders being left to basically starve to death* and then a vulnerable child being left in the care of a horrible parent who's not above faking allsorts of nonsense so he can go please himself. What's to say he isn't going to do that again?

*Tenant's Doctor always made a big deal about trying to find somewhere for creatures like this live, here Whitaker is all like 'we'll just bury them'.

The finale was okay. I'll be interested to see where the show goes next (er, in 2020...it says here, so nothing next year. Guessing the Beeb is shitting itself over funding in the wake of having to pay loads to Cliff Richard and the upcoming problem of having find money to fund free TV licences for over 75s) . It's been a very subdued series overall, and I've often felt like I've been watching some so-so science fiction thing on SYFY, rather than Doctor Who.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Re: Doctor Who Series 11 Thread.

Post by Skyquake87 »

'Resolution' was good fun. I think having an old familiar foe seemed to lend Whitaker's Doctor some urgency, which I enjoyed. Again though, there was a key plot point that was introduced and then ... nothing? The perilous beastie was effectively quartered and its remains scattered around the world...and one bit comes back to life and something something. Maybe I missed something (probably) but two of the guardians start digging (why?) and then ...what? Also never been a fan of disconnected parts of alien machinery suddenly being able to work because reasons. My suspension of disbelief only goes so far before I start thinking 'well how does that work then?'. Nice to see some creative use of the creature and it being deadly in its own right without its 'shell'. I hope this kind of pace can be maintained into the next run. :)
inflatable dalek

Re: Doctor Who Series 11 Thread.

Post by inflatable dalek »

Caught up with the series! Thought the season final was weak, and was slightly taken aback when, amidst an episode that had too much going on anyway, suddenly ripped off The Pirate Planet at the end. Especially as the Douglas Adams estate is protective enough and rich enough to take on the BBC in a way only Terry Nation's could otherwise.

Still, maybe they'll let it slide as long as the New Year episode isn't about an alien who came to Earth centuries ago and was split into different parts that are trying to come back together.

Oh.

Seriously enjoyed that though, much more than the odd "KEEP THE DALEK A SECRET" trailers made it look. Even the home made Dalek worked in context.