Can someone explain to me why so many people hate Michael Bay's Transformers movies?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Michaeljones
Protoform

Can someone explain to me why so many people hate Michael Bay's Transformers movies?

Post by Michaeljones »

I understand that the movies are geared towards teenage boys, but I really enjoy watching them. I don't find anything deplorable in the movies (besides some lack of story).
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Most of the complaints I see tend to be some mix of the following:
  • Too much focus on the humans
  • The design aesthetic of the Transformers
  • Due to the color schemes, a number of action scenes devolve into gray blur fighting gray blur with no idea who is who
  • The 'humor'
  • Characters appear and disappear as the writers seem to remember that they're supposed to be in the movie
  • Irrelevant or meandering subplots
  • General length of the movies
There's probably other general points I'm forgetting
Clay

Post by Clay »

It's complicated. As films, they don't measure up very well to usual metrics of quality, but there's obviously something to them that kept people coming back. Well, at least until the last knight.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I like'em.

And enough people did to go back three more times in bigger numbers till the tail-off kicked in with the fifth.

Hell, I even have a strange love for Last Knight, just for being batshit.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

This is a two part video essay on all of Bay's films that he's directed and it explains why some people have problems with Bay's films.

and here is part 2 which talks about Bay's Transformers films:

Then there is also Lindsay Ellis' series The Whole Plate which is currently at part 9 and focuses more on Bay's Transformers films and some of his other films, to explore various film theories like auteur, feminist, queer, Marxist, and so on it's worth a look. I'll post part 1 here because I don't have the time right now to post 9 links to these videos, but they are really good and informative.

Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Sades

Post by Sades »

If it makes you feel any better, I don't thin they're overly horrible. I just wish everything didn't look like randomly spinning blurry metallic things half the time.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Rurudyne
Protoform

Re: Can someone explain to me why so many people hate Michael Bay's Transformers movies?

Post by Rurudyne »

I've liked them.

But their excess in the fiddly details, the aesthetic mentioned, kinda reminds me of the particular synth pop sound pioneered by Donna Summer in the mid-to-late 70s ... at first it's brilliant and then, later as it's been done to death, it just distracts.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Re: Can someone explain to me why so many people hate Michael Bay's Transformers movies?

Post by Auntie Slag »

Lately here in the UK they've been showing 'Dark of the Moon' on repeat. I turned on the subtitles with the most recent airing and it made the world of difference. There was so much babble that I wasn't comprehending until now. Sam is incredibly annoying, and its not a patch on the first film, but definitely try these films with subtitles if you can!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

But surely comprehending Dark of the Moon takes all the fun out of it?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

There's fun in DOTM?
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

The only two I enjoy are the first one and DOtM. The rest are garbage IMO. The last two felt like endurance tests with little to no reward. Loved Bumblee though, it was a much needed Bay-less reset.