Avengers : Endgame

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Avengers : Endgame

Post by Skyquake87 »

Went to see this yesterday! A good victory lap for the franchise and the ten years of work that's gone into making this experiment work. God knows what anyone coming cold to this will have made, with all it's nods and references to things that went before. The first 2/3rds of the film are my favourite bits where there's lots of nice scenes dealing with loss and grief and the smaller character moments. Whilst the film doesn't follow through with this and does go for something of a 'reset', but it actually does something much cleverer than I was expecting. It's use of time travel and causality feels very fresh and different to the usual pop culture takes and I really enjoyed that. So the events of Infinity War still had/ have consequences, which is great. Nothing feels cheaper than putting all the toys back in the box. It's also a film that holds it's runtime, never feeling like its sagging or dragging under its own weight. I really enjoyed it and I hope the next 10 years are as good ... and that they don't fall into the trap the comics have, of building up to a big event routinely,and that we get something different!
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Re: Avengers : Endgame

Post by Auntie Slag »

I saw this yesterday too. I thought it was a big, flabby load of old arse. I tell you what; with this and the letdown of a Game of Thrones episode with the White Walker battle I really felt like a line had been drawn under CGI. I feel totally bored by it now, anything can happen and nothing is interesting. Its like it got instantly amazing with The Abyss in '89, and now Endgame has killed it (in contrast I thought episode 4 of Game of Thrones was pretty awesome).

That's still 30 years of impressive CGI related antics, but its properly bored me now. I really liked the initial premise of Endgame: Hulk has become a weird surfer-science dude, Thor goes fishing, drinks and plays games, Hawkeye has gone off to kill everyone evil in the world, Tony Stark's no longer a dick and Captain America is helping people by holding therapy sessions. That makes sense to me; the surviving heroes suffered a hefty slap in the face, and now they're carrying on with their lives... but no it has to be about winning and redemption and things.

I liked the first Iron Man film because it was brash and zingy and full of silly energy. Endgame was all bloated and leaden (though I did like Captain America), but the plot armour really killed it. That and the gratuitous hero poses set to a grandiose orchestral score before they attempt something heroic. Why do they do that? Every so often they take about six seconds to stand majestically alongside each other, puff out their chests and rush forward. What are the bad guys doing at this point, watching in quiet awe?

I've seen 70% of the marvel films leading up to this, I don't hate Marvel or anything and good on 'em for what they've achieved, but I've got no love for this at all. I came out of the cinema thinking how fluid and cool X-Men 2 was. I wish this film had some of that X-Men 2-ness about it.

Also, don't you think kids would find the first 40 minutes to be torture? In ten years time people'll be wondering what all the fuss was about. A bit like Avatar.

I love faster films: Robocop, Starship Troopers, Transformers 2007, Scott Pilgrim, Men in Black. I do hope movies veer back to an 80-110 minute runtime, keep it tight and sharp.

Soon a guy is going to post a Youtube edit where he cuts Infinity War and Endgame into a single two-hour edit, max. And it'll be quite good :)
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I'm not remotely up to date, but I loved it. What Marvel have achieved is one of those things that's only going to look more impressive as time goes on and more attempts to copy it fail and die on the vine.

Even I got emotional during the final battle.

I now want a Goodnight Sweetheart remake about Captain America.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Agree about CGI... saw some of Guardians 2 because a friend's son is into it, and it was really generic and fake-looking. TV is doing better with graphics these days.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

...Goodnight Sweetheart : Cheating on your wife is okay when it involves time travel and Rodney from Only Fools And Horses.

It was a shame we didn't get to see a bit more of Peggy Carter. I like her and her TV show was pretty good.

Have to agree with the comments about CGI. This is something I've noticed more and more in blockbusters these days. It's tipped over from being realistic to this weird syrup of show off obviously not real. Bendy CGI humans like we got in the Raimi Spider-Man films seem to have made a come back too. Boo to that. It's particularly noticeable in films that had 3D elements shoved in for no good reason apart from to get people excited about 3D again.