Covid 19 / everybody PANDEMIC

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Clogs

Re: Covid 19 / everybody PANDEMIC

Post by Clogs »

Bottom line for me is: try to get this bunch of the (deleted expletive) entitled to obey anything they’re told. Should the government have moved faster? Yes. Would it have made a difference? Possibly... i salute NZ, since getting humans to comply with anything official is worse than herding cats.

No doubt the political commentators and historians of the future will makes squoodles of cash with their retrospectives and weighty tomes. They’re still arguing over the Black Death.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Am I right in thinking that, as an island, England could have responded much more like NZ than they did? Even if England's response isn't objectively worse than the US's, it's more disappointing if they could've done much better than we could've.

Three of the 4 states that banned Rhode Islanders have lifted their restrictions. I still can't go to Mass, yet, which is the only one I'd want to go to. But, I'm in no hurry. I just go to look for Leader TFs since local Walmart doesn't carry them.

The governor of NH responded to this week's Sturgis motorcycle rally by instituting the first statewide mask requirement in advance of next week's Laconia motorcycle rally. But, it only affects scheduled gatherings of 100 or more. For example, students would not have to wear masks in classroom, but would have to wear them during assemblies.

So, it sounds like he acknowledges that mask requirements work, but isn't willing to face the political pushback for having a broader one. Just over 1 in 200 NH residents has tested positive, making it one of the least affected states. Maybe they can keep pushing their luck like this.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Clogs wrote:Bottom line for me is: try to get this bunch of the (deleted expletive) entitled to obey anything they’re told.
Definitely not saying it wouldn't be a step forwards for slightly more than half of the population to find themselves in small dinghies ten miles off the coast at night, both for the instructive experience and the culling effect.

But things have been sufficiently badly handled that there's no credibility left for any necessary measures.

It's all theatre -- huge fines for not wearing masks but you don't have to wear one if claiming any number of untested exemptions.
Tantrum wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:46 pm Am I right in thinking that, as an island, England could have responded much more like NZ than they did? Even if England's response isn't objectively worse than the US's, it's more disappointing if they could've done much better than we could've.
Yes. Would've been economically more painful quickly in the short term, but apart from making tracing workable it wouldn't have burned through goodwill in the way that trying to police international travel has now months late. Instead you had influxes at many different locations, along with major events that were permitted to take place, along with uncontrolled and untested hospital releases, along with active discouragement of face coverings.
Sades

Post by Sades »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.5684176

It says they were giving them out to people with "legitimate exemptions", but I heard that they were allowing people to go in and grab multis for friends and family without requiring proof that they actually needed them, or if these friends and family actually existed until right before the program was shut down. The cards are also reportedly very easy to counterfeit.

All in all, way to go you idiots. We're quickly becoming a hotspot for covid in the province and this shit doesn't help.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

As I say, this is why the UK govt press releases about increasing fines are hot air and meaningless -- nobody's required to wear one due to a long list of self-declared exemptions.

The only way to run things is with no exemptions, and actual support (i.e. arranging deliveries for, not a hand-waving "you can put other people at risk because you're special") for a very limited number with validated reasons.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Denyer wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:25 amThis one might as well be titled "overweight moron kills wife" --

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-52731624
Sadly that had the expected outcome --

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53892856
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

At least 3 people have been reinfected with covid 19. That is, they had it, recovered, then caught it again. I'm not too worried about this, yet. Immunity after infection is never absolute. Even with chicken pox, usually a one-and-done illness, some people get it more than once. My childhood best friend's mom had it at least 3 times. There's always some people who don't develop immunity. That it's taken so long to find them hopefully indicates that those people are rare.

I'm more upset about CDC guidance recommending stores not confront people who refuse to wear masks, because they might get violent. So, the terrorists win. If not wearing a mask is to be taken as a sign one is likely to get violent, should it be considered a sign of gang affiliation?

My parents' friend who went to Sturgis returned last Tues, and tended bar at the local Elks lodge the following Friday. May parents didn't go. But, some regulars did. I don't know how much effort my parents will put into avoiding them.

They want me to go with them to view a Hallowe'en pumpkin display this October. It's in RI, and less than 60 miles away, so I'm not (currently) restricted from going. It's drive through, so we wouldn't get out of our car. But, I would be in the car less than 6 feet away from my parents. We could wear masks, but that runs the risk of glasses fogging while driving, which isn't good either. My mom had cataract surgery a little bit ago and only needs reading glasses, so maybe she could drive.

I'm sure we could come up with some way to do this safely. But, I'd still be anxious the whole time and not enjoy it. And probably be worried for some time after. Basically, I don't really want to be in an enclosed space with anyone until there's a vaccine that someone other than Vladimir Putin has approved.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Yay, uptick in "Covid's not real (because I haven't seen any effects personally and the weather's still nice enough to enjoy)!" bullshit and conspiracy bullshit means there's even less people wearing masks now. Add all that garbage to the racism and reluctance to move away from Oil as a livelihood and my province is starting to get a reputation. :laugh:

More like reinforcing an old one. Can I retire from the human race and pick a new one? People (other than the ones that haven't) have more or less just been disappointing so far.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Sades wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:27 amCan I retire from the human race and pick a new one? People (other than the ones that haven't) have more or less just been disappointing so far.
What Sades said...
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

Thinking more on the CDC's advice not to confront mask-refusers: If you're in a place where the mask requirement isn't being enforced, take off your pants. For the UK readers, I originally meant the US version of pants, which you'd call trousers, but what the hell, go all out. The point is, if one dress code rule is optional, they all are. Sure, they might call the cops on you, but you'd be hard to find once you've redressed. After all, you'll be wearing a mask.

In my dreams, people (including myself) don't wear masks, but I'm vaguely aware that they/we should. Maybe if I keep this in mind as I go to sleep, I'll be able to use this to recognize that I'm dreaming.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

In my latest experiences going to the supermarket 99% of people are wearing masks (although the majority of staff NOT wearing a mask is absolutely bamboozling) but people appear to have forgotten the basics of transmission - ie folk picking stuff up, giving it a good look over then putting it back and taking another one.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Was better in the big Tesco I've just been in (probably 3/4 or more) than the Sainsbury's I popped into for Argos last week (less than 1/2). Checkout assistant rubbing her face.

It looks like the Whitehouse was seriously fucking stupid enough to switch national policy to "don't test, don't find" --

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-5 ... type=share
We reported yesterday that the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) had quietly changed its guidance on testing, to say that people who’ve come into contact with someone confirmed to have the virus now don’t need to get tested themselves.

Now CDC Director Dr Robert Redfield has defended that decision, telling US media that the new guidelines, which were “co-ordinated in conjunction with the White House Coronavirus Task Force”, had “received appropriate attention, consultation and input from task force experts”.

The change has come as confirmed daily new cases of the virus fall in the US.

However, experts say this is at least partly due to a fall in the rate of testing.
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

Tantrum wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:34 amIn my dreams, people (including myself) don't wear masks, but I'm vaguely aware that they/we should. Maybe if I keep this in mind as I go to sleep, I'll be able to use this to recognize that I'm dreaming.
So much for that. I had a dream where no one was wearing masks a few days ago, and freaked out so much I woke up.

My local grocery store had very good mask compliance for a while. Then, last week I saw a few with their noses out and a maskless lady walk in as I was leaving. This week was much better. I think the only person I saw not wearing a mask correctly was a very little kid not wearing one. I'm over 6 feet, and he was maybe 2 feet, so distancing diagonally was no problem.

Walmart's a different story. I was there buying zip ties to help install my airless bike tires and saw one maskless employee talking to another, masked employee. I also saw a maskless family. Three kids without masks, mom and dad with their masks pulled down. I haven't been back.

I was looking up Rhode Island toy stores online since that Walmart is pretty much it near me, and I still can't go to Mass. I found one in Tiverton, and decided to give my airless bike tires their first real workout. The tires work great, though I heard a small, regular squeaking, meaning either I made a small installation error, or the brake pad is rubbing against the tire. I'll check that tomorrow.

Anyway, the toy store turned out to be a vendor at a small flea market. It looks like each vendor has an inside area, with space outside to display a sample of what they carry. The toy vendor did have some old TFs, like white Cybertron Vector Prime, but nothing I wanted. Mask compliance at the flea market was hit or miss. One shop's outside display looked interesting, but as I went to walk in, I saw the vendor sitting just inside the doorway without a mask. You'd think even if he didn't believe in masks, he'd have one ready to put on so as not to alienate customers. I left that stand, then left the flea market since it wasn't worth trying to avoid maskless people to look at flea market stuff.

I might try Barnes and Noble tomorrow if my feet stop being sore from all the pedaling and walking I did today. They carry Lego Ideas and have excellent mask compliance. I guess the types of people who don't wear masks aren't that into reading.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Meanwhile, in America...
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

The bike shop just down the road from me closed last month. I lost one of the springs for my front axle quick release, so I had to go to another bike shop one town over. I'd been there once before, and they were wearing masks. Not this time. 3 employees, one with his mask pulled down around his neck, 2 not wearing any at all. The neck guy looked to be working down in the shop, so maybe he was isolated pretty well. I was only within 6 feet of anyone for a couple seconds while a worker handed me the spring (no charge). Hopefully, I don't have to go back. Now I'm even happier to have airless tires since I won't have to go to the bike shop for new tubes.

I've heard conflicting reports on whether trick or treating will be allowed this Hallowe'en. If it is allowed, I think I have a plan. Instead of sitting by my front door to hand out candy, I'll be in an upstairs room by a window. At the front door, I'll have a sign saying, "For candy, stand in front of scarecrow" with an arrow pointing to my creepy scarecrow, which will be under said window.

The scarecrow has its arms outstretched with a span of about 6 feet, so I'll have a sign on him reminding people to stay that far apart. The sign will also say, "Shriek for candy". While the kids are reading the sign, I'll throw candy at them from the window. The window is basically behind the front light, and I'll be wearing a black sweater, black gloves, and black covid mask, so hopefully they don't see me.

I just have to decide what candy to get. Usually, I get Tootsie Roll Pops, but I don't want anything with a a stick. Maybe Reese's Peanut Butter Cups? What say the parents? What candy would you most be OK with bopping your kid on the noodle?
Clay

Post by Clay »

Tantrum wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:43 am
The scarecrow has its arms outstretched with a span of about 6 feet, so I'll have a sign on him reminding people to stay that far apart. The sign will also say, "Shriek for candy". While the kids are reading the sign, I'll throw candy at them from the window. The window is basically behind the front light, and I'll be wearing a black sweater, black gloves, and black covid mask, so hopefully they don't see me.
That actually sounds rather fun for the trick-or-treaters. Maybe the pandemic will bear something good in the form of even-more-awesome halloween traditions. I like the idea of homeowners remaining unseen and having a ghoulish prop prompt kids to perform a scary trick like shrieking, then get a treat. Hope springs eternal, silver lining, and all.
I just have to decide what candy to get. Usually, I get Tootsie Roll Pops, but I don't want anything with a a stick. Maybe Reese's Peanut Butter Cups? What say the parents? What candy would you most be OK with bopping your kid on the noodle?
Kit-Kats are my preferred chocolately treat. I have to give myself primary consideration as I rarely have trick-or-treaters and have to eat the candy all myself.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Clay wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:03 pm Kit-Kats are my preferred chocolately treat. I have to give myself primary consideration as I rarely have trick-or-treaters and have to eat the candy all myself.
That should be the primary litmus test for Halloween candy in general and this year especially: Is it something that'll get eaten if there's any left.
No sense having a bowl of Slugworth's Candy-coated Drywall Chunks going the trash if you get a lower than expected turnout
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Well our Republican Governor has finally decided to finally fully re-open the state of Indiana for a trial period of 3 weeks and if there are no major outbreaks then he'll leave the state open.

I think for the most part our governor has handled the pandemic a lot better than Trump did on a national level he ordered masks to be worn, went to people who knew what more about this disease than he did and tried to be a leader.

Was he was always right? No, but he at least tried like a competent and reasonable leader and not raving insane greedy evil bastard like many others in the GOP.

I have no doubt he is a raving insane greedy evil bastard like the rest of the GOP because the Trump's VP is from my state and if you think Trump is bad believe me Pence is a LOT worse.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Cyberstrike nTo wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:47 pmI have no doubt he is a raving insane greedy evil bastard like the rest of the GOP because the Trump's VP is from my state and if you think Trump is bad believe me Pence is a LOT worse.
Yeah, I do not so much fear Trump (which of course I totally do) as I do the more competent version of him that follows him in the path he's cleared. Our most recent ex-governor Matt Bevin is one that comes to mind. All the same bad tendencies, but far smarter, in relative terms.

One of the sad realizations I've had, not so much from the pandemic itself but from both Trump's and a good portion of the public's response to it, is that a sizeable portion of the population are simply Trumps of smaller spheres. Maybe by being "little people" and generally having consequences to their actions, they've been tempered from being their worst selves, but in different circumstances they'd end up just like Donald Trump. And that's an existential problem to the human experience that's not going away.

:(
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

Clay wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:03 pmKit-Kats are my preferred chocolately treat. I have to give myself primary consideration as I rarely have trick-or-treaters and have to eat the candy all myself.
I like Kit-Kats enough that I wouldn't mind eating the leftovers. It's hard to predict how many kids I get. Usually, the 5 bags of Tootsie Roll Pops I get last me all night with some to spare, but last year they were gone in about 45 minutes and I had to turn my light off. I don't know if the pandemic will bring out fewer kids due to fears of covid, or more kids, since they've been stuck inside so long and parents are looking for stuff to do.

Another idea I've read for handing out candy is getting a 6 foot long piece of 4 inch diameter PVC pipe, using orange and black duct tape to make it look Hallowe'en appropriate, and sliding the candy down it.

Weird Al and some other guys did this debate remix with Al as the moderator.

I've started grocery shopping on Fridays instead of Thurs since it seems like there's fewer people. A couple weeks ago, everyone had their masks on correctly. Last week I saw one lady with her mask down talking on the phone, well over 6 feet away from anyone. Other stores, like Marshall's, are good, too. I rarely see anyone not masked, except in the Starbucks section of Barnes and Noble where people are eating, and in Walmart where people are idiots. Still, I worry enough that random browsing isn't much fun.
Clay wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:45 pmOne of the sad realizations I've had, not so much from the pandemic itself but from both Trump's and a good portion of the public's response to it, is that a sizeable portion of the population are simply Trumps of smaller spheres. Maybe by being "little people" and generally having consequences to their actions, they've been tempered from being their worst selves, but in different circumstances they'd end up just like Donald Trump. And that's an existential problem to the human experience that's not going away.
I hope people who aren't hardcore Trump fans realize that enough people are hardcore Trump fans that the latter group is who controls the Republican party. There was in this idea in 2016 that Trump winning the primary was a fluke, and that moderate Republicans would regain control of the party. But, that's not happening. The base had a taste of pure, black tar Republicanism and won't settle for less now. Anyone hoping to win a Republican primary now is going to have to either emulate Trump, or enable those who do.