Covid 19 / everybody PANDEMIC

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Re: Covid 19 / everybody PANDEMIC

Post by Tantrum » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:53 pm

The interstate travel restrictions in my area were lifted enough that I was able to visit my parents for Father's Day weekend in New Hampshire. Masks aren't government mandated in NH like they are here in Rhode Island or in Massachusetts, but most people were wearing them. The portion of NH people not wearing masks didn't seem much higher than the portion of RI and MA people who wear their masks incorrectly. Not many NH people were wearing their masks wrong. Given that 1 out 250 NH residents have tested positive, while 1 out of 65 RI residents have, it may have been safer to be in NH than RI.

At least if someone's not wearing a mask, I notice while they're still far away, so I can try to maintain distance. When some jackass has their nose poking out of their mask, I might not notice until I walk right by. I saw someone walking out of a store in RI with no mask as I was walking in. While I was in the store, I saw that same guy with a mask. So, it looks like the stores are enforcing it and that guy was told to leave and not come back without a mask.

My mom is one of the people providing 24-hour in home care to a 90-something woman who lives down the street. I arrived just as she was leaving her house to start her Friday evening shift. I walked down with her to visit the 90-something lady, and was the only one in the house wearing a mask. Neither the old lady, my mom, or the woman my mom was relieving were wearing any.

I agree with Skyquake and Warcry. A lot of things that are supposed to be fun won't be much fun with covid restrictions, so there's not much point in opening them. A cynical person might think such businesses are being given the green light to reopen so they can't file for government assistance. After all, if the government tells you you can't open, it makes sense for the government to provide compensation. On the other hand, if the government allows you to open, but no one shows up because of covid, that's the free market speaking, and no government compensation is required.

Denyer
Custom Title: Shooty Dog Thing

Post by Denyer » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:48 pm

Tantrum wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:53 pm
A cynical person might think such businesses are being given the green light to reopen so they can't file for government assistance.
Totally the case here. Plus there'll be an idiotic political decision shortly to relax 2m distancing driven by pubs. I'm just hoping (against experience) that there isn't a move to relax it in other environments where it's practical such as supermarkets.

Fun... I might click-and-collect a Scorponok from Smyths when they arrive in the UK, and I'll probably go and get a couple of car loads of gravel for the garden from a local builders merchant. Pretty much everything else should fit in the parcel bin if it won't go through the letter slot.

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:34 pm

I think once the 2m is relaxed to accommodate pubs etc then other businesses will want to follow suit. Knowing Boris' dunderheadedness, it'll probably be for every business anyway so we can shop our way out of economic disaster. Although with what money, I don't know.

I'm excited for Scorponok. I've been enjoying Transformers and comics a lot more during lockdown. Pleased to see DC have cranked out a full collection of Batman: Knightfall/ Knightquest/ Knightsend so have been enjoying reading that (I know it's not the greatest Batman story, but I was really into it at the time (and liked the audio drama the BBC broadcast) and love the character of Azrael. Couldn't get into his ongoing series though - find Denny O'Neil's writing quite plodding and abrupt when it wraps up various storylines. Wasn't too keen on the whole 'my mum was a monkey' storyline and that).

Heinrad

Post by Heinrad » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:12 pm

Well, aside from giving me the longest, most stressful, and all around suckiest vacation I've ever had, the plague has finally affected me. Not in getting sick, though.

Because the place where I work hasn't, unsurprisingly, seen their orders bounce back during the pandemic, they decided to let a bunch of people go because at the rate things are going, I wouldn't be called back until next early next year. So, yeah, I got 'seperated'. And while I understand it and don't blame them, it's how they did it.

They sent me a letter. I was fired by postal service.

On the up side, the place I used to work called in May asking if I wanted to come back. So instead of my vacation being extended to infinity, I go back to work Monday.

Although I will miss the air conditioning of the place that fired me.

Sades

Post by Sades » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:18 am

Apparently some people from the US have been sneaking into Alberta to go vacation in Banff etc by telling the border guards they're driving to Alaska. Surprise idiots, nothing's open.

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:58 am

That sucks, Heinrad, but I'm glad you've managed to find new employment so quickly!

Here in England (not Britain, as Wales and Scotland are still being a bit more cautious), our relaxed lockdown restrictions and sunny weather saw social distancing go out the window so people could pile onto beaches, celebrate some footballers doing well at football and attend their own riots, stabbings, street parties and illegal raves.

We'll be back in lockdown by 1st July. I reckon.

Heinrad

Post by Heinrad » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:20 pm

That completely upends my plan of going to the British consulate in Boston and begging for asylum. That being said, maybe they could ship me to Scotland? Or Wales. I'm not picky.

Denyer

Post by Denyer » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:31 pm

Scotland's great (still problems in poorer areas). Wales can be very parochial unless you aim for the big/tourist areas. The main advantage of the not-for-much-longer-UK is that there isn't far between point A and point B.

Yeah, shitty behaviour. There are a lot of companies that won't be getting business in future due to the way they've treated employees.

UK -- catching up with the US for shitty behaviour by people putting other people at risk. Probably at the stage it wouldn't be unreasonable to just fire on crowds of idiots.

Cancelling daily briefings to take some of the heat off falling government public ratings and throwing everyone to the wolves (apart from gym owners and certain other industries who've been left in limbo) with continuing 100+ death tolls a day is one of the shittiest things a British government has done in living memory. Tracing is optional, doesn't support those affected and isn't working.

But they're going to drag it out as long as possible if deaths rise before doing anything.

Denyer

Post by Denyer » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:42 am

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... -very-ugly

Maybe I'm under-thinking this, but I'd imagine if anything it may be more straightforward in the US -- refuse critical vaccinations and health insurance be invalidated.

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:56 pm

Heh. Good call. I'm staggered by the anti-vax movement - hasn't helped that the US has taken the MMR/Autism link peddled by Andrew Wakefield to heart, where that's really gained some traction. Not helped, it has to be said, by the Lancet publishing his research in the first place and media outlets here taking it on face value (including Private Eye, who usually know better).

I've no time for these conspiracy theory lunatics. Best we can hope for is they contract the virus themselves to find out whether it's a conspiracy or not. Certainly one way to cleanse and control.