Covid 19 / everybody PANDEMIC

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Denyer
Custom Title: Shooty Dog Thing

Re: Covid 19 / everybody PANDEMIC

Post by Denyer » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:50 pm

Serco might just be stunned at anyone answering phones / not having preemptively blocked them.

Clogs

Post by Clogs » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:00 pm

Denyer, you might be right, there.

I was, very seriously, today advised that I can spend time in lockdown pursuing hobbies such as knitting, doing housework, taking up new crafts or baking. The guy calling then asked me what I intended to do, so I told him: the Shadowlands pre-patch is out on World of Warcraft shortly, so I’m prepping for it and intend to lead with my Demon Hunter tank. There was silence for a few seconds, then: is that a computer game?

I have no idea who wrote the scripts, but they’re sexist and ageist.

And I never even mentioned that I’m binge-watching Transformers: Prime on Netflix. Maybe next time...

Denyer
Custom Title: Shooty Dog Thing

Post by Denyer » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:35 pm

Probably isn't a script for that part beyond guff about rapport with example questions which some of them have taken literally. And almost certainly nothing supporting contractors who are being sexually propositioned or dragged into domestics.

Apart from a lot of them being under-utilised at a guess the performance metrics reward volume as much as or instead of coverage.

Clay

Post by Clay » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:26 am

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:12 pm

I am enjoying the confusing Wedding Cake system we now have (it's made up of Tiers. Or Tears, if you will). And Wales now going into a complete lockdown for 2 weeks.

For me, well, I've had a funny time lately. This whole situation has put a lot of strain on my relationship with my partner, and we split up in early September, and I am now in a flat. Seems to have done us both good. She seems better and I'm enjoying having my own space. Just got the headache of trying to get all my toys out of her house! Got the internet switched on on Friday and just picked up a Chromebook so I can type and say 'Hi' to you all. So 'Hello!', hope you're all doing alright :)

Clogs

Post by Clogs » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:10 am

Skyquake87 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:12 pm
So 'Hello!', hope you're all doing alright :)
Hello, sweetie :wave:

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:00 pm

Hello Clogs! How's things?

Clogs

Post by Clogs » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:51 pm

Skyquake87 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:00 pm
Hello Clogs! How's things?
I’m still here, which is A Good Thing, and the cough is just intermittent and annoying - I’ve been made to sit away from the other members of my team, though... Could get a chance at home working in ‘a bubble’ (makes me laugh every time), which would be nice as it a) saves money and b) means I don’t have to mix with the oiks on the bus.

Saved money to be spent gleefully on one of those Autobot Impactors that are calling my name so sweetly.

Sorry to hear about your breakup. Hope it works out for you and your life blossoms after all this Coronavirus is gone.

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:57 pm

I always imagine a bubble like one of those big things you can climb inside. Or that dreadful Jake Gyllenhaal film - something so awful I'm amazed it wasn't an Adam Sandler vehicle.

Hope the cough goes soon! It tickles me watching everyone recoil when someone coughs or sneezes on a bus. At least when they've got a mask on. Less so if they're one of those strange neck breathers or people who are weirdly exempt, despite being the ones that absolutely should be wearing a mask as they're most at risk...

Ah, the break-up was horrific for about a week and was mostly me going 'Oh dear. I am homeless. Better find somewhere to live sharpish.'

Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:09 am

The White House Chief of Staff said that, "We are not going to control the pandemic". That's been obvious for some time now. It's just odd for them to admit it a week before the election. Still, more then 40% of the country will vote for this.

They've been pretending their lack of plan is actually a plan called herd immunity, where enough people are immune that the virus can't spread. This is OK if immunity is acquired through vaccination. It's not OK if immunity is acquired through contracting the disease then recovering, since not everyone who does the former does the latter. Not only do a bunch of people die and suffer, but the hospitals get overwhelmed treating those people.

A while ago, I started wondering how long it would take to achieve herd immunity through virus spread if we can slow the spread of the virus enough to not overwhelm the health care system. Here in RI, we got slammed pretty hard at first, and several states stopped allowing visitors from here. But, I don't think our health care system was hit overly hard to the point where hospitals couldn't function. So, I used RI as am example.

It took 5 months for 2% of the state to test positive. It's unknown how much of the population has to be immune to stop the spread, since it varies by virus, but 70% is a common number. 70% is 35 times 2%, so it'd take 35 times 5 months to achieve herd immunity. That's 175 months, or 14 and a half years. There's a lot of uncertainties in this, but it looks like between 1 and 2 decades to "safely" achieve herd immunity.

What if we don't slow the spread that well? I've been tracking how long it takes for the number of cases in RI and NH to double. As long as that number was rising, we were slowing the spread. It was rising for quite a while, but recently leveled off in both states at 140-something days. I rounded that up to 150 days, or 5 months.

2.8% of RI residents have tested positive. To get to 70%, the number would have to double 4.1 times. 4.1 times 5 months is 20 months, so June 2022. That's a lot faster than not overwhelming our health care system, but probably/hopefully not faster than it'll take to develop and distribute a vaccine.

The number of new cases each day in RI has matched the peak seen in spring. I've stopped checking if MA is allowing travel from RI again. If they are, they're not taking this seriously enough for me to want to go there. Kinda like that Groucho Marx line about not joining any club that'd have someone like him as a member.