Smoking in pubs

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sixshot

Post by Sixshot »

Originally posted by Addl
Oh the great freedom of USA... the country where you can be yourself.... the country of unlimited possibilities....

... but are not allowed to drink alcohol (and beer, even if that is not considered alc here) in public or in the car, are not allowed to see naked people on TV, and now not even allowed to smoke in bars and pubs....
While I agree with what you're saying to a certain degree, what about the rights of non-smokers? Shouldn't they have the freedom to go to a restaurant/bar/pub/club and not have to breathe in smoke? Smokers are still free to smoke outside if they wish, but non-smokers can't avoid the smoke inside a building and it would be unreasonable to expect them to just give up their social life all together just because they want the right to go out and not get smoked all over. Much easier for smokers just to keep their smoking limited to outdoor areas, so this ruling seems pretty good to me.

He was in a boy band!
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Addl, your point about how we aren't allowed to drink in our cars really baffles me...since drunk driving isn't even close to a good idea...
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

Sixy:

It do not agree with totally smoke free pubs, restaurants, etc.

I am not a non smoker, but not a regular one. A cigartte with a hot coffee or one with beers in the pub is a nice thing by all means.

So I would prefer smoking-sektions in restaurants and pubs to try to please both teams.... While I certainly agree with non-smoking at gas stations (:D) and official places, I do not in public/recreational places... especially not open spaces.

Non smoker have the same right to be spared of the smoke as smoker have the right to smoke t make them feel better.

I would also profit as I'd sit in a non smoker and drink, but once in a while have a cig and go to the smokers area.

A friend of mine is heavy smoker and says a flight of 8 hours is almost too much to tolerate for him....

While it is correct not to let him smoke on a plane, it is not on the ground in above mentioned places.

Otherwise, I would rather sign a law that forbit dirty, sweat-smelling people to use public installations, pools, and pubs.

I am much more annoyed by sweat or other oders, even much overdone perfume, than smoke.

So to ban smoker from all places is not an option for me.... and especially not to diss them publically.

I'd rather diss stinking people and throw them out of my pub.

Auros:

As much as I do not want to say this ;) : read my post.

I did not write that you are not allowed to drink and drive, but not allowed to drink in the car.

We here love to sit in the car after pubs close around 4am, listen to music while drinking beer we bought from the gas station.
Or when we drive to places, I enjoy riding shotgun and downing a couple of beers along the way, watching the country fly by....

Or when I drive, especially this one time we had to exchange a server after breakdown, I started driving at midnight and we arrived in Münster at 5am... I was sober, but the other two had finished 4 bottles of wine, emptying half of it in my car.

We were stopped by the police, but they do not care here if you have open alcoholic beverages in the car as long as the driver is sober.
You can have vodka and beer around the place and they don't care.
[sigpic][/sigpic] :clap: Isch bin dabbei! :up:
Sixshot

Post by Sixshot »

Originally posted by Addl
Non smoker have the same right to be spared of the smoke as smoker have the right to smoke t make them feel better.
Not really. It's not just the smell, it's kind of the whole cancer thing that annoys me... If I'm not the one smoking why should I have to expose myself to that risk? Like you said, you don't like the smell of strong perfume, if I walked round a club spraying a perfume over you ever 10 mintues that was proven to contribute towards fatal diseases, I doubt you'd be too happy.

He was in a boy band!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
Addl, your point about how we aren't allowed to drink in our cars really baffles me...since drunk driving isn't even close to a good idea...
Many places it's an offence to drink even as a passenger... it still classes as 'in public'...
Ulticron
Protoform

Post by Ulticron »

There's a simple solution to appease smokers and non smokers alike, and wal-mart does it in every store for their employees. We simply have two break rooms. Both are sealed off from one another and have seperate doors for entrance. Having a pub, bar, resturant or whatever sectioned off the same wouldn't be that big of a deal. Never once have i heard a single non smoker complain about the smoke break room because this works perfect, and the smokers are happy too cause we have a place to hang out an smoke. Everyone can be happy w/o crazy controlling laws if ppl would jes use their lazy brains and think ocasionally.
der2

Post by der2 »

now I feel bad, at the table in Streatham, I think I was the only one smoking, sorry those who were there.

But if a law came about that smokers have to do it outside, so long as it isn't cold or wet and I can get in then I don't mind stepping out for one, walks the drink off.
Sixshot

Post by Sixshot »

Originally posted by der2
now I feel bad, at the table in Streatham, I think I was the only one smoking, sorry those who were there.
Don't worry about it, I don't even remember you smoking. I must have been too drunk as usual. :D

He was in a boy band!
der2

Post by der2 »

thanks missy, but looking at it I can see your point.

but what we could do is go to a major extreme and ban cigerettes all together, just make them illegal, I wouldn't mind getting off them and most people wouldn't have any choice but to quit, however, that little theory is a bit too radical, I doubt people would go for it in reality, I think myself I probably be very pishd off bout it
Zombie Dave
Protoform

Post by Zombie Dave »

When me and my friends went out yesterday, we made all the smokers feck off down one side of our table, and when they complained we slightly offensively mocked them by drawing comparisson to famous people who have died of cancer through passive smoking.

We also complained heavily about the service, and got a round of drinks costing over a nifty for free. And appetisers.

Go complain! Go complaining!
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

I work in a pub. I am a non-smoker, yet after every shift I walk out smelling like the ashtray of someone who smokes 6000-a-day. Even though we have adopted a policy of no smoking at the bar, you still have to tell people to put out their cigs/cigars/pipes.

When there are two huge boards level with the optics saying 'No Smoking At The Bar', as well as half-a-dozen small notices scattered along the bar, I don't see why I still have to tell people to put out their cigs. There is a room behind the bar area which used to be sealed off as a smokers room. Maybe that can happen again....
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
impactor247
Protoform

Post by impactor247 »

now this is where there are two clear cut types of smokers

considerate smokers
the type who will walk away from non-smokers, spark up and blow the smoke away from everyone (a-la ME ;) )

inconsiderate smokers
the ones who have to smoke whilst eating, smoke at the bar when it says no-smoking, blow smoke into people faces.

now being a smoker myself and quite a heavy one at that, being surrounded by all of my friends who are non-smokers i have learnt to be a considerate smoker, i never smoke whilst people are eating, amount i smoke goes down rapidly if im surrounded by nonsmokers, and i always blow the smoke away from people weither they are smokers or not. Cause at teh end of the day i dont like any of those things being done to me so why should i do it to someone else???

Thats about ti dont know if it made any sense but hey its me typing a message here :D
Garand

Post by Garand »

At may favorite pizzia place, the only place they allow you to smoke is the oustide patio.. or at the bar after 11pm..

Addl.. need a roomate?
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

Originally posted by Garand

Addl.. need a roomate?

as funny as it may seem, yes we really need a roommate for november 1st to move in.

Cable TV, almost downtown Stuttgart, 30m², 273 Euros a month
[sigpic][/sigpic] :clap: Isch bin dabbei! :up:
Garand

Post by Garand »

Convert Germany to the Imperial syatem of measurement, and I'm there!
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

Glad I live in California so I don't have to put up with that crap. :)