Anyone ever had this happen to them...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

Anyone ever had this happen to them...

Post by Cliffjumper »

My apologies for the incredibly vague title, but I really couldn't think of an applicable one...

Anyway, this afternoon I was playing on Grand Prix 2, and after a few laps I slipped into a kinda trance... I kinda woke up about 40 laps later a minute and a half clear of anyone else, having not even noticed I was really racing [I tend to keep an eye on the lap counter, I generally save every 10 laps], and my times dropped right off even though I was still going very fast [a check of my hotlaps showed that in 40 laps I'd consecutively got faster each lap, up to 3.8 seconds faster than the pole time]... it was quite spooky... anyone else ever had anything similar?
Starscreamsghost

Post by Starscreamsghost »

I used to space out like that back in the day when I'd race the opening courses on Destruction Derby 2...I played that game so many damn times, I used to fade out 'til the last lap or two...then I'd jack myself with some Hi-C and everything would go back to normal...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It's a very strange feeling, isn't it? When I 'woke up', I nearly crashed...
Starscreamsghost

Post by Starscreamsghost »

Yeah, I'd always f*ck up when I came back around...I tend to have the same experience in platform games from time to time, especially fairly simplistic ones like Sonic....I swear, I could sleepwalk through the first half of Sonic 2, even now a decade later...
The Plant
Protoform

Post by The Plant »

Yes, my dad and I play Mario Kart 64 all the time. He wants to play it and I play with him since he asks. I've played it so much I could almost play it blindfolded. As such, I often zone out and don't remember the name of the track we just played or who won, or anything.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

I've had that, when I'm sitting at the computer, or watching TV, I sort of zone out, and my mind wanders... I guess it's what daydreaming is. Maybe. It's very weird, but quite nice too.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Redstreak
Protoform

Post by Redstreak »

I used to do that with Mario Kart, and in arcades even...you just get locked in and don't get moved out for nothin'.
nmathew
Protoform

Post by nmathew »

Yeap, the only problem is that it's during the 100 last miles of my strech from college back to home.....
Lady Auros
Protoform

Post by Lady Auros »

Originally posted by nmathew
Yeap, the only problem is that it's during the 100 last miles of my strech from college back to home.....

that happens to me too. on stretches of road that i drive often i find that i don't even remember driving on them by the time i get home. like the trip up to vt - i bet i could get there in my sleep. i guess that is pretty dangerous, especially since i drive very fast.

high rate of speed + ADD = an accident waiting to happen :p
nmathew
Protoform

Post by nmathew »

Originally posted by Lady Auros
that happens to me too. on stretches of road that i drive often i find that i don't even remember driving on them by the time i get home. like the trip up to vt - i bet i could get there in my sleep. i guess that is pretty dangerous, especially since i drive very fast.

Yeah. It's kind of scarey, isn't it, to just suddenly realize you've been spacing for 30 minutes behind the wheel?
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I do it in class sometimes, and the professor sounds like one of the adults from Charlie Brown.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Back when I used to play Perfect Dark on the N64. I'd play with my cousin, we'd set the kill limit to 100, throw in some sims, and go. After a while, everything just became so automatic. Get a gun. Shoot. Reload. Shoot. Reload. Shoot. Die. Respawn. Get a gun. Shoot...The scary thing was, I was significantly better at it when I was zoned out like that.
Nova-Ting Ranger
Protoform

Post by Nova-Ting Ranger »

I guess that's when you reach a Zen state of mind or something. It happens alot to me while driving on side streets. You do something so many times, it eventually becomes so routine that your body has already developed a pre-program response to it. As for why you do better than you usually do: I think it is that because you Zone out, your mind is completely free from any type of destractions, mental or real world wise. All thoughts of doubt, panic, and what not are gone. All that is before is the screen, and a your reaction. At that point, you're like a monkey flipping the switch every time a light goes on, to get a sugar cube.

Beatiful. Just prue reaction. simplely beatiful.
Zombie Dave
Protoform

Post by Zombie Dave »

You were 'in the zone'.

I used to get it on tekken 2, or whilst playing real football.

Everything you try seems to come off with little effort. Then you try and gauge what you're doing so you can repeat it, and it often goes pearshaped.

Or so I find. This quality player at my old school was teaching me how to do 'Beckhams', i.e. dirty curling free kicks. He just said, run up from this angle, hit the ball roughly here, with roughly this part of your foot... I just stepped up, and was hitting the ball... I was getting **** loads of bend... I wasn't really thinking about it after a while.

Whenever I try now, it rarely works.

Bollocks.