[BW,BM] playing to the camera

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
angloconvoy

playing to the camera

Post by angloconvoy »

Notice how in Beast Wars they crack jokes and then wink at the camera and the like? So then, do you find it annoying or amusing?

I don't remember this topic having been done before so it may turn ou we can squeeze a little more out of this one horse forum.

------------------
January gathering
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Aah, Rattrap...

I kinda like it (yeah, it can ruin the moment sometimes..), it just acts as a reminder that is is just a cartoon after all. And any show that can take the mickey out of itself is okay by me.

------------------
"When I find out who stole my comfort blanket..."

"We came, we saw, we kicked its ass!!"

"Tell me how it feels to be the one who turns the knife inside of me."
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

It depends. If that was required to remind kids, that this is just TV, evil dinosaur isn´t going to eat that funny mouse... it´s OK Image It was a children´s program after all. There has to be some kid´s show elements in it.

On the other hand, I didn´t like them at all. I wanted to see half serious sci-fi series in CGI, not slapshstick (whatever) humour or bad jokes.

------------------
Osku
MegatronDX
Protoform

Post by MegatronDX »

Originally posted by Osku:

On the other hand, I didn´t like them at all. I wanted to see half serious sci-fi series in CGI, not slapshstick (whatever) humour or bad jokes.

Have you ever seen the Starship Troopers Series? The CGI is not by far as good but it is a little more serious.

Also I liked the little comedy in it. Kinda refreshing. I been in situations where someone cracked a joke or summtin like that and it releived alot of stress. I have a high stress job Image

------------------
Never Forget, Never Forgive.
sprites touch
Protoform

Post by sprites touch »

Not that I noticed it that much, it seemed natural to me, I liked it.
I don't know if this is done for the kids, lots of comedy shows, at some point ask the "crazy" question- "what if our life is just a show someone watches", kinda like the charecters aware of a camera and an audiance.

------------------

insert something wise and benevolent - here.
nmathew
Protoform

Post by nmathew »

In general, I thought it was wel done. I've been watching Beast Wars, and I'm on season 3 right now. In general, I think that the jokes are often done well, and not overplayed too badly.

I don't think it hurts teh show to point out it's just a TV show/cartoon. At least we know they aren't taking themselves too seriously.

--NMathew
________
Digital Vaporizer
Starscreamsghost

Post by Starscreamsghost »

I don't really mind seeing BW good guys throwing a little such behavior into the mix. It's a little difficult to imagine G1 characters pulling the same kind of move (can you really picture even someone as fun-loving turning to the camera and giving it a little thumbs-up or something?), but I still like it.

------------------
"A stiff breeze! S-Ghost, take the Matrix! I quit!"
"It's not so much that I want to kill her. It's just that
I want her...not to be alive...anymore." --Stewie
Djar][aCho
Protoform

Post by Djar][aCho »

I like it

that simple.. I simply have no taste whatsoever Image
I especially enjoyed silverbolt once saying he saved Black Arachnia because it was his duty as a cartoon hero and gentlemen :-)

------------------