Generation 1 #0 (SPOILERS)

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Bombshell

Generation 1 #0 (SPOILERS)

Post by Bombshell »

(Wasn't this supposed to come out Friday? :confused: )

Well, pretty much all that happens in this issue is just a quick summary made by the Quintessons of what has happened throughout the previous two mini-series, interlasped with some spectacular shots of Unicron. (The first two pages of which are ripped straight from the movie, with the obligatory "Arblus, look! It's Unicron!" line... :rolleyes: ) It concludes with Megatron and Wreck-Gar on Junk, with Megs saying that he will rid the universe of their treachery. (Obviously, he's talking about the Quints, but how does he know about them? :confused: )

We got artwork from three people in this issue, courtesy of Don Figueroa, Joe Ng, and Pat Lee, with the work of the first two being the only good point in this issue, with Pat Lee's craptacular art on full display.

Some interesting highlights include...

-The first two pages of the comic, as stated, rip off directly from TF:TM.

-We see Unicron's innards in this issue, which look the same as Vector Sigma appeared in War And Peace. We get an idea of how Unicron creates his troops, as we see Cyclonus burst out of a stasis pod-like device.

-Scourge was apparently part of Unicron's plan to search for Primus, as we see many Sweeps heading out into space, with the narration saying that an initial fleet was sent out after he began to go into his hibernation phase. (It's plainly obvious that Thundercracker and Skywarp are not going to end up being Scourge and Cyclonus in this continuity...)

-It appears that Scourge was the one responsible for reactivating Shockwave and bringing the Great Shutdown to an end.

-Scourge's plan was to monitor Shockwave's progress and gain information, but the Sharkticon attack seen in issue #3 of War And Peace forced him to come out of hiding to help.

-We know that the Earth Military, in addition to possessing Scourge, also have the Constructicons, still in pieces as Devastator.

It's a great bridge issue, but I don't think it was worth paying five dollars for, especially since not a lot happens here.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

So they made it in December after all. I like that they keep the the dates. It's just the thing you must do when you're publishing an ongoing series.
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by Ozz
So they made it in December after all. I like that they keep the the dates. It's just the thing you must do when you're publishing an ongoing series.

While I totally respect your opinion, man, there's a few things about that statement that I think are a bit wrong. For starters, if it wasn't for the New Year's Holiday, it would still end up being out in December. And at any rate, only Canada and the UK got it on Wendsday. US people still have to wait till Friday. Lastly, I don't really consider this issue the "official" start to the ongoing, as not a whole hell of a lot of new stuff is contributed, (except for the Wreck-Gar/Megatron bit, which could have worked a lot better had it been at the end of #1 instead of here, on account of the aforementioned lack of new material in this issue) and the issue on a whole acts as little more than a bridge, like the War And Peace preview in the Prime Directives TPB. Like the War And Peace preview, which set up the overall story arc, all that happens here is explanation about events that happened in War And Peace (Which I do believe would have worked out better if it was attached in some fashion to #6 instead of the rather forced exposition that was presented there), with only the barest hint of what's to come from the ongoing.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

i thought it was ok.. ng's art (i assume he did all the unicron stuff? as in his insides) and dons art were lovely.... i was however confused by the seekers that wreck gar seemed to be collecting on the planet of junk.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by CounterPunch
was however confused by the seekers that wreck gar seemed to be collecting on the planet of junk.

Me too. Weren't they supposed to be with Screamer onboard Sky Lynx?
Lambda prime
Protoform

Post by Lambda prime »

This seeker may infact be Sunstorm (unless their actual names are used) he is set to have a role in the ongoing. Also Thundercracker and Skywarp had a bit of a gap between issue 2 and 6 of G1 volume 2.
Energon will have Unicron as a villian and now G1 has him to, i hope that they dont overdo him.
Seems to be a world within Unicron and him having a army of space jets is clearly Lord of the Rings inspired.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by Lambda prime
Thundercracker and Skywarp had a bit of a gap between issue 2 and 6 of G1 volume 2.

They tried to stop Optimus from reaching Magnus in #5, and got run over because of it.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

.. doubt its sunstorm, as hes yellow/orange the only one with which you can see the colours they are purple and black...... unless he gets a paint job
fourth_heir
Protoform

Re: Generation 1 #0 (SPOILERS)

Post by fourth_heir »

Originally posted by Bombshell
It concludes with Megatron and Wreck-Gar on Junk, with Megs saying that he will rid the universe of their treachery. (Obviously, he's talking about the Quints, but how does he know about them? :confused: )

Obvious? There's nothing implying knowledge of the Quints anywhere in Megatrons comments - he's most likely referring to Shockwave and Starscream.
Originally posted by CounterPunch
i was however confused by the seekers that wreck gar seemed to be collecting on the planet of junk.
In MTMTE #8 it's said that Junk came about because the Cybertronians were using a space bridge to dump all their waste in a random part of space and this waste eventually built up to become Junk. There's probably plenty of transformer corpses laying around the planet. I expect one of those seekers will become Sunstorm after Wreck-Gar turns his attention to them.
Visit my website to see my latest fanart (updated April 10th 2007)... http://www.freewebs.com/fourth_heir/
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

yeah hes talking bout shockers and screamer i expect, ive changed my mind about the whole sunstorm thing.... maybe wreck gar rebuilds one or more of them into sunstorm
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I'm really hoping Unicron doesn't show up in TWW...
Lambda prime
Protoform

Post by Lambda prime »

I dont think Unicron has anything to do with Fallen or anything in 'The War Within'.
I wonder if Dreamwave will be using the Cybertronian Empire from G2 in this series? That would be a hell of a fight, the planet eater versus a fleet and the Hub.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Lambda prime
I dont think Unicron has anything to do with Fallen or anything in 'The War Within'.

Hahahaha, yeh, that would really matter to those wankers, wouldn't it?

As for Jhiaxus & co., I doubt it... I think whether Hasbro or Marvel own them, is a muddy area, and Furman's already shown that he's not interested in solving old mysteries. Besides, can you imagine how **** they'd be? Plus I can't see them working as slick, digitally-coloured art... There's no grit.

#0 - hmm, I wish Dreamwave would get a proper writer. We have stakcs of backstory which could have, oh I dunno, replaced all the sticky-fingered fanboy references in War & Peace and maybe made it a half-decent story. Not that most of this thing isn't basically nods to Transformers the Movie. Still, if they can get rid of Pat Lee, I'll buy it on principle.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper

We have stakcs of backstory which could have, oh I dunno, replaced all the sticky-fingered fanboy references in War & Peace and maybe made it a half-decent story.

I agree. What happened here could have been cut in half, and stuck at the end of War And Peace #6 for all I care. Truth is, if it had, I would have enjoyed it a whole lot better.

Frankly, even though I did do it, I can't really justify spending five dollars on a comic that's all exposition and no plot development.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Seriously though, we already have the following plot strands dangling like an octogenarian's scrotum: -

- Autobots on Cybertron all shook up
- Autobots on Earth doing bugger-all
- Megatron on Junk building army
- Unicron floating around in planet mode [estimated appearance of robot mode - G1 #50]
- Starscream & co flying around in Sky Lynx [Screamer no doubt wandering through shadows and saying "Interesting" a lot]
- Scourge captured on Earth

DO WE REALLY NEED THE ****ING QUINTESSONS? Yes we do, because whoever's writing this thing, whatever Brad Mick is, his research material is the Rhino TF:TM DVD, which he's nearly worn out, and that's it.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

DO WE REALLY NEED THE ****ING QUINTESSONS? Yes we do, because whoever's writing this thing, whatever Brad Mick is, his research material is the Rhino TF:TM DVD, which he's nearly worn out, and that's it.

Well, to be fair, the "Quints as creators of the Transformer race" plot device is unlikely to be used, since MTMTE #8 doesn't specifically mention their role in that area. I, for one, would be interested in seeing how they would be handled...even though I know for a fact that it's unlikely to be how I imagined it.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

- Unicron floating around in planet mode [estimated appearance of robot mode - G1 #50]
I'm seeing this as a good thing. He should never have been cameo-d in "War and Peace"...

Y'know, I've just realised that series was called "War and Peace"... How sodding pretentious is that title?
Almighty Galvatron
Protoform

Post by Almighty Galvatron »

Originally posted by Bombshell
Well, to be fair, the "Quints as creators of the Transformer race" plot device is unlikely to be used, since MTMTE #8 doesn't specifically mention their role in that area. I, for one, would be interested in seeing how they would be handled...even though I know for a fact that it's unlikely to be how I imagined it.
To some extent it'd have to be used, after all the quintessons' only motivation to get involved with the transformers is to reclaim cybertron from them.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by Almighty Galvatron
To some extent it'd have to be used, after all the quintessons' only motivation to get involved with the transformers is to reclaim cybertron from them.

Maybe, but then again, MTMTE #8, considered the TF bible for this series, never really mentions that they were the creators of the Transformer race, but instead implies the more popular notion that they came to the planet and enslaved them as they began to develop their civilization.
Lambda prime
Protoform

Post by Lambda prime »

I had the idea the Quints discovered the astaroid and found a immense energy source-the essense of Primus-and converted it into sparks for the robots. Weakening Primus and building Cybertron. They didnt realise the true nature and eventually the drones became sentient and developed emotions driving the Quintessons out.
The thing is the Quints didnt actually build any transformers just transorganics, transformers didnt come about until after they left and the factory/service robots became Autobots as the military hardware became Decepticon's.
But Dreamwaves universe should try something new.