R2 DVD: UK version ? s**t ?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Xilef_Darklight
Protoform

R2 DVD: UK version ? s**t ?

Post by Xilef_Darklight »

I was just wondering,... people are complaining a lot about the Maverick TF:TM R2/PAL DVD ... But amongst the complaints, there is no mention of if it's the US version of the movie "uncut" or is it the UK edited version with scrolling text ? ... The one with the Victor Caroli narration at the end ? I have no doubts the DVD is s**t (I'm about to find out myself as I've ordered it from Amazon.co.uk), but consider this. If it is the UK version, then it's worth owning for collectors like me since that version never made it to DVD yet... Anyway... blablabla... is it the scrolling text version ? And if so, how can Maverick have gotten the AC-3 5.1 audio from Rhino since RHINO have the infamous "s**t" swearing on the disc ? I don't get it...
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

It is the scrolling text version but does have the swearing in.

------------------
Image You, you are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Weber. And you, I just plain don't like you.
January gathering
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Since that's the only difference in the audio/video tracks, and all they did was silence out Spike's line, getting it to fit would have been no problem.

Personally, from what I've seen, I think they overdid the "remastering" on the Rhino film matte... the lasers are rather stark compared to the rest of the image.

I think it's nice... it's unique; the UK film (with cool voiceovers and stuff), and the infamous line that few in the UK got to hear within the film...

Shame about the extras... but I'll cope...

------------------

Check out my collection & trade list and other TF stuff @ denyer.cjb.net!
Later, when I was hanging from the tree... — Bill Hicks
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Woulda preferred it without the swearing myself. It's not that swearing bothers me just that I'm so used to hearing it without swearing that that line seems somehow out of place.

------------------
Image You, you are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Weber. And you, I just plain don't like you.
January gathering
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Mmmmm... I kinda want to be shaken a little... maybe it'll make me pay more attention to a film I can probably still repeat verbatim line-for-line...

------------------

dai-atlas2000
Protoform

Post by dai-atlas2000 »

I'll probably get my head bitten off for saying it - but I actually think that all this negativity over TF:TM DVD is a little...unnecessary and unjust.

After reading all of the negativity about TF:TM DVD I wasn't gonna bother buying it...I already have a VHS and .RM copy of the movie, plus I have all of the Headmasters eps...but on the way home I spotted it in the HMV in Belfast and I thought...what the hell!? and bought a copy for myself.

And you know what? I'm glad I did. This DVD proves what can be done and if the sales are good what would be to stop more such releases. As fans, it's our duty to support releases like this instead of simply critising every little thing that is wrong with something...If we continually are negative and are displeased with every effort that these companies make then we can kiss goodbye to future TF releases...

Plus I've seen DVDs with far fewer extras - you don't understand what "cheated" means until you've got a DVD whose only features are: "Interactive menu" and "Scene selection".

BE grateful!

------------------
Dai
<offical tea-boy>

--------
Kevin:You've got the wrong guy...I'm just a stupid keyboard player in a high school band...there's a million of me..."
Gwildor:Only one of you Kevin...only one of anybody!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by dai-atlas2000:
you don't understand what "cheated" means until you've got a DVD whose only features are: "Interactive menu" and "Scene selection".

BE grateful!
In which case I'll buy the VHS (cheaper) and get a DivX rip. This is still a grey area in European law.

What I resent is that Maverick don't have the first clue about what they were releasing. The "picture gallery" appears to be scanned from the movie poster artwork. There's some dubious N.R.G. songs (did this band ever do anything decent besides Instruments Of Destruction? Besides, the tracks have been available for free download from www.mp3.com for months.) They got the classification wrong. There were typos in the production draft. We got weary BBC footage already seen on TV! This does not suggest a competent company. Although hopefully they'll learn from the experience... seriously, the history of this project reads like a catalogue of errors and disappointments, although this is at least partly the fault of idiots (such as Blackstar) who seem to have copied the proposed feature list as actual definites.

I'm not bothered about the widescreen... although they've missed the opportunity to make an overseas killing in sales (unless they have another release planned if it is secured)...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we didn't get the storyboards, either; for that reason, if I wasn't getting the DVD for a fair discount, I would be getting the Rhino one, whatever my issues with its remastering.

------------------

Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Personally I think lots of people are over-reacting. Okay, so Maverick hinted at extras and didn't deliver. But when you look at all the decent, proper films, not hour and a half toy commercials, that have been boned on DVD release here, either getting no extras or not even a release [we're talking films of the calibre of Fitzcarraldo and Ran here] I don't see what the problem is...

------------------

Please visit my site, The Transformers Database and visit the totally alive, kicking and far-out Message Board!

"Another day out with the boys - just me, Chaos and Mayhem - I love this job!"
"I'm Godzilla, you're Tokyo!"
"You haven't been where I have at all, so who are you to judge?"
"What am I, an idiot magnet?"
"Just remember kid, I'm not teachin' you this so you can go out an' kill people - I'm teaching you this to keep ya alive."
Walk a mile in my shoes, then criticise the way I am.
Starscreamsghost

Post by Starscreamsghost »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper:
But when you look at all the decent, proper films, not hour and a half toy commercials, that have been boned on DVD release here, either getting no extras or not even a release
Like "Back to the Future III"!!!

------------------
So I've got an ego. Big whup, wanna fight about it?
Starscreamsghost: Better Than You Since 1981.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Maverick are entering a world of pain.

Honestly now, how long are we going to have to put up with this? I don't agree with the fact that if other DVD manufacturers are stingy and skimp on extra's for DVD and hardly add a d@mn THING, that its perfectly acceptable for Maverick to do so too!

No way! I live on a farm populated by sheep, consumers don't have to act like sheep too. As far as I can see, that's what Maverick seem's to think we are.

Maverick Boss: "Yeah, everyone else is producing rubbish devoid of any thought onto DVD format, so why don't we do it too"? who cares, its only an old toy line, and these guys that buy it don't care, however we release it, they'll be spooning it down and asking for more, we can't possibly lose! Now pass me my Ivory backscratcher".

Dai, Cliffjumper and Denyer, I'm glad that you're happy with your purchases, that's great and I'm not having a go at anyone here other than DVD producers.

But I refuse to accept this cr@p from companies who so obviously are doing next to nothing, when to produce something of true worth really wouldn't have been at all hard in the first place.

I bet that anyone of us here could have put far better stuff on that DVD than what's on there right now, and it wouldn't have been hard, lets face it.

What's wrong with a little bit of thought? I suppose it costs money yes? and maybe they've seen that the Transformers franchise has been screwed for such a long time now, that what they're doing can't possibly be perceived as anything worse. Why add thought, originality or inventiveness to a fan base that's been devoid of it for so long and probably wouldn't appreciate it anyway?

So go ahead Maverick, and perpetuate the image of Tansformers being braindead pap with nothing to redeem it, and let those outside the Transformers realm continue to look down upon us, its fans as a bunch of freaks who refuse to grow up, with limited intellectual abilities rivalling Neolithic man! I commend your mighty efforts Maverick, when I get big, I want to come and work with you!

For those who've bought and are happy, good for them. I'm excercising my right in NOT buying because of what I believe.

That's my choice. I can't wait to see the ineffectual treatment that the G1 episodes will get when they're transferred to DVD.

Come on, how hard would it have been for say, someone with a spare five minutes over at Maverick to put a question to one of the mods or administrators here asking for feedback as to what would have been cool extra's for the TF:TM movie DVD? Yeah, actually doo-able cool extra's. There could have been a brief mini-forum with suggestions from people who are genuine fans who really care. Can you imagine how cool it would have been then?

I'm not buying anyone's cr@p again! Call me a high-maintenance biyatch if you want, but the way I see it, its bad enough that we frequently have to accept half measures in other aspects of our lives. When it comes to something I genuinely care about, am passionate about, like THIS, then I want care exercised thank you very much.

Maverick know the fans of this movie are people that CARE about it. They know that, and they give us THIS!?!

Spare me this mockery of DVD-ness!

Regards,
A slightly annoyed Windcharger

------------------

[This message has been edited by Windcharger (edited 12-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Windcharger (edited 12-10-2001).]
Powerglide
Protoform

Post by Powerglide »

'Clap' 'Clap' 'Clap' Agreed!

How u doing with those sheep Windcharger my old mate!

------------------
I might have a silly name
but a girl once loved me
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

As long as they never learn the power of speech, I shall keep walking this land a free man.

Regards,
Windcharger

------------------

[This message has been edited by Windcharger (edited 12-14-2001).]
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Um . . . I usually don't buy DVDs for extras. I usually don't look at them anyway.

I liked the remastering job that Rhino did. I enjoyed the more vibrant colors.

------------------
They were the dream--
--Mechanical beings able to transform
their bodies into vehicles, machinery
and weapons; a last line of defense
against the CHAOS-BRINGER,
UNICRON. Image
That battle is done, the story told.
But life goes on, and the story of the
transformers--
--Is far from told.

-Transformers: Issue 75-
"ON The Edge of Extinction!"

Looks like I'm:

PaladinPrime: Supporter of the kill all lurkers, and eat them campaign.

[This message has been edited by PaladinPrime (edited 12-14-2001).]