[BW,BM] why didn't they use the dinobots in beast wars?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
sikkbones
Protoform

why didn't they use the dinobots in beast wars?

Post by sikkbones »

why was there no love for grimlock and slagg and the rest of the gang... grimlock needs love too.. and would have been perfect for the series.
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

You do realize that the shows, while having G1 characters, are actually separate continuities?
ROLLBAR
Protoform

Post by ROLLBAR »

Originally posted by Ultimate Weapon
You do realize that the shows, while having G1 characters, are actually separate continuities?

And didn't you see that Megatron, Dinobot, and other characters were prehistoric dinosaurs?
a day above ground beats a day below
Elita-One
Protoform

Post by Elita-One »

Originally posted by ROLLBAR
And didn't you see that Megatron, Dinobot, and other characters were prehistoric dinosaurs?

Cough, forgot to log him out, so that was from me, cough.
Ultimate Weapon

Originally posted by Elita-One
Cough, forgot to log him out, so that was from me, cough.

What does a purple dinosaur and a velociraptor have anything to do with the "Dinobots." Ie Grimlock, Slag, etc...
Jhiaxus
Protoform

Post by Jhiaxus »

Simple, they don't. Apparently, Mr. Sikkbones either didn't pay a lot of attention while watching Beast Wars, or hasn't even seen the whole series. The main Beast Wars characters came around on Cybertron about 300 or so years after the end of the war between the Autobots and Decepticons. So with this understanding, one can assume that the Dinobots either retired from active duty, or are dead. Either way, there was no reason, and no way, that the Dinobots could have been worked into Beast Wars.
Ultimate Weapon

If it takes place after G1, why is the ark and Prime in season 2?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Ye gads. So much confusion. I apologise if any of this is patronising or superfluous, but it's necessary to lay all of it out.

In the first episode of Beast Wars, the two ships travel back in time. They started out 300 years after the end of the war on Cybertron, and ended up on prehistoric Earth.

One of the non-show BW toys is called Grimlock. This is in fact a new incarnation of the former Dinobot commander (I believe this is born out in his tech spec). However he was never used in the show, and can be presumed to be in one of the Axalon's stasis pods (Simon Furman intended to use this as a device in Dreamwave's aborted Beast Wars comic).

Now, the question in the original post should presumably be "why were the Dinobots not on prehistoric Earth along with the Beast Wars characters?"

This is a valid question, but relies on BW being set in comic continuity - in the comic, the Ark awakened five members of the crew to deal with Shockwave when he arrived on Earth.

However, the battle between Shockwave and the Dinobots occured in the Savage Land, which is a location we did not visit in BW. Also, we do not know exactly what point in Earth's history the series was set, so it is possible that Shockwave and the Dinobots were already dormant.

If Beast Wars is set in cartoon continuity, the Dinobots simply do not yet exist. Despite what the tech specs originally intended.

Everybody clear?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by The HeartBrend Kid
(Simon Furman intended to use this as a device in Dreamwave's aborted Beast Wars comic)

He was going to shoehorn Grimlock in? I don't think I've ever been happier about a comic company hitting the wall...

Question: Wouldn't the four million years BC date of the Dinobots being sent to the Savage Land be post-BW anyway? My knowledge of prehistory is abysmal, but I seem to recall the Savage Land thing being used to justify there being dinosaurs around after they died out.
ShadowSonic
Protoform

Post by ShadowSonic »

You're right, though I'm not sure if they retconned the Dinobots' origins later on when they decided not to make TFs be a part of the regular MU.

You can alwasy say that the malfunctioning scanners they used in the comics scanned dinosaur bones or something like in BW.
I'd like to say it's been nice knowing you, but I'd be lying.

-Vile
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Yay. Some of you really want to scare new members away. :rolleyes: Hi welcome to the board, and don't mind the crumpy ones.

Brendocon covered most of the reasons already, but...

Autobots were also much bigger than maximals and predacons, so dinobots would have been a bit difficult to write into the story without them maximal upgrade & downsizing.

Storywise I could accept maximals/predacons finding the dormant dinobots and/or Shockwave and transferring their sparks to blank protoforms (ala the birth of TM Optimus Primal, where Rhinox implanted Primal's spark to a blank protoform). Hmm. BW Megatron & comic inspired Shockwave (using for exmple Transquito's mold?) leading predacons... Purple!

Also a real world reason preventing dinobots to appear. There were no toys of them (if one doesn't count "Grimlock"). Creating CGI models for different characters is expensive, so Hasbro propably wouldn't have been very happy to see more non-toy characters (like Ravage) appear in the series.
Moe-Hawkins
Protoform

Post by Moe-Hawkins »

Um correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know the entire G1 series, but weren't the dinobots built by the autobots much AFTER they were awaked from the ark? Why would they be awaked by the ark to fight Shockwave if they don't exist yet?

-adam
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Moe-Hawkins
Um correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know the entire G1 series, but weren't the dinobots built by the autobots much AFTER they were awaked from the ark? Why would they be awaked by the ark to fight Shockwave if they don't exist yet?

The comic and the cartoon are totally different. In the comic, after the Ark crashed and everyone was knocked out, Shockwave landed. The Ark picked five Autobots, rebuilt them as Dinobots [having scanned the Savage Land for suitable alt-modes] and packed them off to stop Shockwave. Thanks to Grimlock's leadership skills, they were utterly unsuccessful until Snarl managed to force a score draw, landing the lot of them in a tar pit until Ratchet got desperate enough to dig them out in US #8/UK #27, to fight Megatron [they got their arses handed to them then as well].

In the comic, Spike liked dinosaurs, so the Autobots built some Dinobots. The cartoon was **** like that.
sikkbones
Protoform

Post by sikkbones »

in the comic what happend?
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Originally posted by sikkbones

What Brendocon and Cliffjumper wrote.

Cliffjumper's last sentence should have been.
"In the cartoon, Spike liked dinosaurs, so the Autobots built some Dinobots. The cartoon was **** like that."
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Question: Wouldn't the four million years BC date of the Dinobots being sent to the Savage Land be post-BW anyway? My knowledge of prehistory is abysmal, but I seem to recall the Savage Land thing being used to justify there being dinosaurs around after they died out.
It could be pre-BW, it could be post. I've always assumed it was before the Axalon crashed, otherwise Shockwave was presumably circling Earth in the Nemesis when BW was going on... which doesn't really work.

Originally posted by sikkbones
^^^
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
In the comic, after the Ark crashed and everyone was knocked out, Shockwave landed. The Ark picked five Autobots, rebuilt them as Dinobots [having scanned the Savage Land for suitable alt-modes] and packed them off to stop Shockwave. Thanks to Grimlock's leadership skills, they were utterly unsuccessful until Snarl managed to force a score draw, landing the lot of them in a tar pit until Ratchet got desperate enough to dig them out in US #8/UK #27, to fight Megatron [they got their arses handed to them then as well].
Prime64
Protoform

Post by Prime64 »

Well in the toy of Beast wars there was a Maximal Grimlock from G1.
malcos
Protoform

Post by malcos »

Originally posted by Prime64
Well in the toy of Beast wars there was a Maximal Grimlock from G1.

It's a completely different character from the G1 Character.
Thanks to Mininin for the sig.

Click here for Ravnica: City of Guilds spoilers
Originally posted by Sir Auros
fuci, everthing that movew!
Darth Shrapnel
Protoform

Post by Darth Shrapnel »

Originally posted by malcos

He was supposed to be the same character.
"Im drowning in footwear!"
Prime64
Protoform

Post by Prime64 »

Originally posted by malcos
Well it bio said that he severd in the Great warso it's G1 Grimlock in a differnt body