Most emotionally intense scene from a film/TV Show...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Most emotionally intense scene from a film/TV Show...

Post by CounterPunch »

Ok guys, what is the most emotionally intense scene from a film/TV Show you have seen?

I've got a few, the way in which Leon (in, unsuprisingly, Leon) dies rates high for me, various scenes from Platoon (I can think of few more gut wrenching pieces of music than that used in Platoon)

In second place is the last 5 minutes from the final episode of Spaced from Series 2... it's gonna sound sad but I was pretty upset about saying goodbye, seeing the end of the adventure...

The last 5 minutes from American History X. The whole film is just incredibly electrified with passion, intensity and emotion, but Dannys last speech (basically from the coffee shop till end) is probably the only time I've been in tears when watching a film, just the suddenness of his death combined with Dereks hopefulness of starting over just stabbed me in the heart, I'm so affected by it I'm bloody swelling up now!
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Wesley's death in "Not Fade Away". The entire lead up to it (finally getting together with Fred, losing her almost immediately, having to be Illyria's guide) was just heart-wrenching, and the scene with he and Illyria was top-notch.
ThePeacemkr2
Protoform

Post by ThePeacemkr2 »

Originally posted by fort_max
Wesley's death in "Not Fade Away". The entire lead up to it (finally getting together with Fred, losing her almost immediately, having to be Illyria's guide) was just heart-wrenching, and the scene with he and Illyria was top-notch.

For me, it would probably be a tie between that scene, or "A hole in the world" (though in that case it's more the majority of the episode, rather than a single scene).
He's alive. Go figure.
the_escaflowne_2k
Protoform

Post by the_escaflowne_2k »

The scene in M*A*S*H(i forget which series and the name of the episode) were they annouce that Colonel Blake died returning home.
Film wise, well i second Leon, other than that the last scene in Lost In Translation where Bob catches up with Charlotte, though the scene has other sentimental value as well due to the relationship i was also in at the time.
In fact most films that i remember having any emotional impact on my did so because of other factors in my life at the time which i now subconsiencely (sp?) attch to the film, same goes for a lot of cd's i own.
"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by ThePeacemkr2
For me, it would probably be a tie between that scene, or "A hole in the world" (though in that case it's more the majority of the episode, rather than a single scene).

Yeah, I thought about that episode. Specifically, Fred's death scene, and the realization what would happen had Angel tried to save her. However, the scene with Wesley is my absolute favorite.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Definitely the scene in the DS9 episode The Visitor when Ben Sisko realises that his son is about to commit suicide so they can be together. And you probably need to see the episode (or read a summary) for that to make sense. But it was fantastic.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
axio
Protoform

Post by axio »

"Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo" from Episode III, because it wasn't cliche and one of the best written scenes in cinema history.

(:laugh: :D )
Redstreak
Protoform

Post by Redstreak »

There's one that really got me going that I can't think of offhand...it may have been an ep of MASH. One I can think of is Fresh Prince, believe it or not. There's an ep where Will's father shows up, makes nice, then basically leaves him on his ass in the end, with Will wondering why he doesn't want him. It kinda gets me cuz I have strong convictions; like a father should never act like that.

Most recently tho, there's a scene in ROTS that made me react a little bit. Won't go into it here, but those who've seen it know the one I mean(and not the one in LT's post either, :p).
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

The last hour of the first season of 24. When Jack storms the docks and kills everyone, and then later when he finds his dead wife. Intense.
the_escaflowne_2k
Protoform

Post by the_escaflowne_2k »

Ooh remembered another one from M*A*S*H, the last or second to last episode were Hawkeye's in the mental institution and finally remembered about the child being smothered by its mother. Well that and the entire last episode of M*A*S*H really was perect television.
Probably the most recent television scene for me would have to be Dr Greens death in ER.
"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The whale in HHGTTG. Listening to Bill Bailey, it becomes so clear, painful and tragic a metaphor for existence...
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Originally posted by LiquifiedTiger
"Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo" from Episode III, because it wasn't cliche and one of the best written scenes in cinema history.
(:laugh: :D )

*Slowly loads Shotgun*

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

The End to BlackAdder goes forth. The comedy turned into the most heartfelt death sceen I've seen on TV.

I can't think of a film that holds the best emotional sceen as I can run off several I've cried at.
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

The end of Neon Genesis Evangelion ...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Jetfire 2.1
The End to BlackAdder goes forth. The comedy turned into the most heartfelt death sceen I've seen on TV.

They should [and indeed, might by now] show that in schools for teaching comedy/drama instead of those ****ing Shakespeare plays [Bill's jokes weren't funny, therefore these ever worked].

A few from Doctor Who, obviously:

- The Doctor breaks Helen A on Terra Alpha. Gorgeously done, with a perfect musical rise and crane shot.

- Peter Davison's regeneration scene. Coming on top of 95 minutes of utterly desperate, punishing television [the Doctor is effectively killed 5 minutes into "Caves"; the rest is him simply trying to save a friend who trusts him on the way out] this is incredibly powerful, especially if you lose yourself in it.

- Steven raging at the Doctor in "The Massacre". This has to be the first time anyone actually questions the Doctor's methods, and coming on the back of such a heavy story, which invests the viewer so heavily in liking Nicholas and the other Huegenots, to have the Doctor drag Stephen away, and then flatly explain they all die along with thousands of others means we're angry at him too.

From other things:

- Blake's death and the subsequent massacre from the last episode of Blake's 7. The lead character makes a bad judgement call, blows the hero's chest apart and then looks on as his team are gunned down. Surrounded by Federation troopers, he lifts the empty gun and smiles. The reason why B7, with a bidget that made Who look like LotR, worked. The characters were human, capable of such huge mistakes.

- Abby walks out of a church full of corpses at the end of the first episode of Survivors, looks to the sky. "Please God, don't let me be the only one.". There's never been a better illustration of sheer loneliness anywhere.

- John Merrick chooses to end his life in Lynch's "The Elephant Man". Such dignity and pathos...

- Benny Blanco ["from the Bronx!"] shoots Carlos Brigante in "Carlito's Way" as a pointless act of revenge.

- "Turn away, Harmonica, I don't want you to see me die" - Once Upon a Time in the West

On a technical conneciton, I'm also going to mention Graham Thomson's superb Transformers fanfic Globequake [http://www.globequake.com, read it NOW if you haven't already]
SPOILER! (select to read)
for the moment when you realise they went back to the wrong time, and it was all for nothing.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Benny's death in City Of God, great film.

But the most moving thing for me was the end of Donnie Darko, that moved me to tears, i love that film

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

From Angel:

Fred's death from "A Hole in the World." Angel and Spike being give the chance to save Fred and the horrible cost, Wesley being with Fred to the end and her brave fight to the end.

Wesley's death in "Not Fade Away." Perhaps the perfect death scene ever.

Cordelia's farewell to Angel in "You're Welcome." The scene itself is perfectly done and you can see the emotion pouring off Charisma and David. Cordy gets her usual quip in and her good bye is so perfectly Cordelia. Angel's reaction when he turns and finds she isn't there, the look of heartbreak as he realizes she is gone.

The scene before the day resets between Buffy and Angel in "I Will Remember." The heartbreak of the two of them, finally given the chance to have what they wanted and Angel's choice to give it up and carry the burden on his own.

The end of "Sleep Tight" where Angel loses Connor. Nuff said...

From elsewhere:

From "Saving Private Ryan" as Tom Hanks is near death, he tells Private Ryan to "Earn this."
Baxter

Post by Baxter »

On last Thursday's CSI when it
appeared Nick Stokes had died

I was pretty torn up by that.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Originally posted by Baxter

I was pretty torn up by that.

I wasn't... though
Speedle's death
on CSI Miami was as close as tv has gotten to really moving me. Asides from the occasional Angel episode (most of which has already been mentioned... I'd have to go to the DVDs to really remember ep names, etc and I'm lazy so I'm not going to bother).
the bit where Nick is buried in the clear coffin and Grissom et al can only watch
in the same Thurs. ep did kinda get me though. Creeped me right out, anyway... hated that bit.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Random Sweep
Protoform

Post by Random Sweep »

Well, other than marking out to the sad parts of ROTK ( even though I had read the book ), and the sadder parts of SW EPIII, I must say that I was really moved by the ending of The last Samurai ( Only saw it for the first time last night ).

I Had been meaning to see it since it was in the cinema's but never got around to it.