Downshift

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Target
Protoform

Downshift

Post by Target »

I would quite like a Downshift toy, but what are the differences between Energon and Cybertron Downshift?
Cheers

edit - apart from the colour.
If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Civ

Post by Civ »

Quite a few. Energon Downshift was made to combine with other TFs in the Energon Line. His transformation is reminiscient of the original Wheeljack's while his colors make him an homage to the said original. His weapon(s) consist of a gun and missie launcher attached to his spoiler.

Cybertron Downshift is a simplified Alternator Wheeljack largely due to the similar tranformation schemes and the final look of the robot mode. He doesn't combine with any other character but does come with dual missile launchers, which could be a nod to the original Wheeljack toy. His gimmick is a claw that pops out of his chest sorta like Inspector Gadget's police car claw when you insert his cyber key.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

The cybertron version also transforms into a sweet muscle car, while the energon version becomes some sort of sports car. I prefer the Cybertron version.
Target
Protoform

Post by Target »

I do prefure the look of Cybertron Downshift, not sure about that claw thing. It's just a shame it seems to cost a lot more!!
If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Energon Downshift still makes a nice stand-in for a Classics Wheeljack.
Mirage

Post by Mirage »

personally, i'd recommend omnibot downshift, the guy is ace and one of my fave figures!!
Target
Protoform

Post by Target »

Is omnibot downshift the white car G1 thing?
Civ

Post by Civ »

Originally posted by Target
Is omnibot downshift the white car G1 thing?

Hmmmmm...maybe. ;)

http://www.tfu.info/1985/Autobot/Downsh ... nshift.htm
Target
Protoform

Post by Target »

Yes, maybe 'thing' was not the best choice of words.

So is Cybertron the better one?? :D
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

I think that the Cybertron downshift is a nicer figure, but they're both pretty good. If you're looking for a 'true' Wheeljack homage, though, go with the Energon version (who was, of course, actually CALLED Wheeljack in Japan).
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Cybertron hands down imho. Its hard to beat a 1971 Hemi Barracuda as an alt mode, and the figure is pretty well rounded with articulation and poseability. And it is true that he might not have the greatest gimmick what with the claw in his chest.....but you can powerlink minicons to his shoulder cannons...for what thats worth.
BlueSkids

Post by BlueSkids »

I own the three Downshifts: the G1 ( very nice ), the Energon and the Cybertron version.

Personally I prefer Cybertron Downshift because...
A: very nice car mode.
B: the gimmick not ruins the mould or the toy.
C: Nice pair of guns that you can use as shoulder mounted missiles or in the hands and are not ' energon ' guns, if you know what I mean...;)

But his head doesn't turn... well, only a little. Very little.

The Energon version thought has worst articulation but his head can turn, and look up and down. Also, with a small ammount of imagination, his tailpipes can be used as chest-mounted machine guns, which is cool.

So my advice is...

If you want a figure similar to G1 Wheeljack... the Energon one.
If you just want a nice figure with a Wheeljack's head... the Cybertron one.

Hope it helps.
Target
Protoform

Post by Target »

Thanks BlueSkids and everyone else. That is a great help.

But keep your opions coming.

and BlueSkids I am quite envious you've got all 3!!:p
SimonMK
Protoform

Post by SimonMK »

If Downshift is based on Wheeljack, why didn't they call him Wheeljack too? Copyright problem again? Like with Shockwave and Shockblast in Energon?
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Nope. They all ready had a Wheeljack in the Unicron trilogy, but he was a decepticon, so an autobot by that name just wouldn't fit, and would probably confuse the kids.
SimonMK
Protoform

Post by SimonMK »

Originally posted by RID Scourge
Nope. They all ready had a Wheeljack in the Unicron trilogy, but he was a decepticon, so an autobot by that name just wouldn't fit, and would probably confuse the kids.

I remember now, the Wheeljack that was in Armada? Who was a Autobot but joined the Decepticons?
BlueSkids

Post by BlueSkids »

Don't worry Target, I'm sure you will find the three figures!
and BlueSkids I am quite envious you've got all 3!!

Look pal, a present for you!
Attachments
threedowns.jpg
threedowns.jpg (177.47 KiB) Viewed 3594 times
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by SimonMK
I remember now, the Wheeljack that was in Armada? Who was a Autobot but joined the Decepticons?

Yuppers. That would be him.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I also want to add that the Cybertron version has the most well hidden Cyber Key slot of any Cybertron figure. There is a nifty little gate that lifts up ever so slightly to allow the keys entry, on the rear glass of the car. To me thats a cool feature because alot of the Cybertron figures have very obvious key slots that kinda take away from the alt modes.

Speaking of the alt mode, I also think its one of the better alt modes for the fact that you can hardly tell from a distance that it transforms. I bought the figure for my son and often see it among his other toy cars and it fits in very well as a stricktly car toy.

Anyways, enough of me harping over this figure..just go buy it for christs sake..they are still all over the shelves here at most Targets and Wal-marts...you can't go wrong for retail price on this figure.
Target
Protoform

Post by Target »

Originally posted by BlueSkids
Don't worry Target, I'm sure you will find the three figures!

Look pal, a present for you!

Cool, great pic, I didn't know that Armada Downshift was taller, or is that just the photo?

"Anyways, enough of me harping over this figure..just go buy it for christs sake..they are still all over the shelves here at most Targets and Wal-marts...you can't go wrong for retail price on this figure."

I'd love to just go buy one, but alas its difficult to find a 'Targets' or Wal-Marts here in the UK :(

Dang someones named a shop after me!! :D