Marriage

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Vin Ghostal

Marriage

Post by Vin Ghostal »

2 months left until I embark on the journey...any words of advice, other than "don't do it" or "another one bites the dust" or anything else you'd like to pass off as wit? I'm open to your thoughts.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Always be ready to compromise and prepare to ignore a lot of little things that didn't annoy you before, but will now.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

She has our full sympathies.

No, seriously, you don't need to be told to steer clear of the "cram in as much 'fun time' odd stuff before the handcuffs are attached" mentality and the hangers-on that go with it. Just keep doing whatever it is you're doing. The relationship before and after's the thing.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

"Mawwage is a dweam, within a dweam." - Princess Bride

Congradulations.
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

i got a conversation railed into me on saturday about how, WE, the missus and myself, have been to three weddings now of people that have been together since we started dating, and that "I'm not ready to marry her, and I am an Asshole for leading her on this long. it's always something that means we can't"

I just want to wish you the best and wish I could take out insurance on my future wife, cause if she could have an 'accident' now where i am compensated, ....

maybe not the best point for your particular argument.

the point remains valid, however.

on a significantly lighter note, congratultions.
life is great. then you die and leave everything to your wife.
TSFC
Protoform

Re: Marriage

Post by TSFC »

Originally posted by Vin Ghostal
2 months left until I embark on the journey...any words of advice, other than "don't do it" or "another one bites the dust" or anything else you'd like to pass off as wit? I'm open to your thoughts.

Take your time together. Enjoy all the moments you can, whether brief and passing, or a day spent together. Tell her how important and precious she is. Always accept her compliments.

But most of all, simply just love one another. The rest will fall into place and the both of you will figure out the ins and outs together.

Good luck to the both of you, and congratulations!
Civ

Post by Civ »

The only thing I can say is don't partake in wifebashing bitchfests at work and have an agreement with her that she won't bash on you at work -- unless you both do bash on each other and both are okay with that. I've lost count how many times I've heard how X's wife does this that pisses him off or how Y's husband does this and he's such a "little boy". It just seems to make people needlessly angrier and more frustrated and besides, it's really no one else's business what goes on between you and your wife-to-be.

My parents have had this agreement ever since they've been married and it seems to have worked out rather well; however, both are annoyed by the seemingly constant bitchfests at work, so I guess they do it just to not frustrate themselves.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Now, Vin Ghostal - let us analyse why exactly you set up this thread.

Do you have:

a) an urgent need to purchase a one-way ticket to Rio?
b) an urge to sow wild oats/wheat/other whole grain of your choice before someone shuts the field gate?
c) the colly-wobbles?

Are you, in fact, hoping we'll talk you out of it before it's too late?

:eyebrow:

My best wishes to you and your beloved. July wedding, then?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

There's really only two trusims to think of...

You have never known yet the extremes of emotion that marriage will show you.

And you will never know the emotional extremes that having children will bring you.

As for useful advice, I've only got one serious bit, which was also, really, my biggest mistake for years. Even if you're wired to never open up to other people, your wife is there to be opened up to, and you're there for her to open up to.
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

I'd say...

If things are going well for the two of you right now...

Don't change anything.

See...it's simple. :D
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Just congratulations and good luck.
Mirage

Post by Mirage »

whoa! marriage, why do people have to grow up???

as i lack a sense of humour i couldn't really make a witty comment, but good luck, and also, if you record the wedding, pass out during the service (or drop the cake on the floor, whichever would be easiest and most timely), send the clip to a show such as 'you've been framed' and get £500 for your troubles for the clip being shown on tv!!! wahey!! quids in!!!
join me on myspace!!!! http://www.myspace.com/jezzy_bravo

if you get chance check out my eBay auctions...... http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZjezzy_bravoQQhtZ-1
jepc71
Protoform

Post by jepc71 »

Here is a married man's advice. Volunteer to do all the little household chores then do them...but with a twist. Don't do them super well, that way she is impressed that you tried, but will not ask you to do them again because she believes you suck at it. This way you can get out of the crappy tasks. You will more then likely though get stuck taking out the garabage.

Enjoy :)