Who is taking toys to the theater?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
another tf fan

Who is taking toys to the theater?

Post by another tf fan »

Two questions, really:

1: Are you taking a movie toy to Transformers?

2: Which Toy?

as for me I'll probably take Leader Class Prime, but tomorrow I'll be getting the deluxe toys and maybe I'll change my mind.
Come on and wind me up.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Seriously... do yourself a favor.. and just don't.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Even if I had any of the toys or planned on buying some (Nothin' against 'em, I just don't collect Transformers toys period), I wouldn’t bring them to the cinema.

Aside from my mates ripping the piss out of me (For the rest of my life), women never giving me another look and strangers laughing at me, the main reason I wouldn't bring a bloody toy to the cinema is because I would get the living **** kicked out of me by a scummer.

Edit: Seriously, I'd get pummeled . . .

Second edit: I should point out that I don't actually have any desire to do so anyway :P
-Alex???
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Originally posted by TFVanguard
Seriously... do yourself a favor.. and just don't.

^^ What he said.
dotCommunism
Protoform

Post by dotCommunism »

why would anyone take a toy to the movies in the first place? i mean i guess i could excuse it if it was a ten year old, but an adult should be able to sit through a whole movie on their own
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

this is a site dedicated to collecting toys and associated fiction, I'm a little surprised at the reaction so far.
Come on and wind me up.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Time and place, mate.

Time and place.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Hadn't crossed my mind... not that the film will be in cinemas by the time I see it anyway.

I did take a towel and a loud Hawaiian shirt to HHGTTG. Towels are useful. For one thing, if anyone objects you can roll it and belt them.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

I like the idea. Admittedly the thought hadn't crossed my mind either, but yea, I'd slip either bumblebee or starscream in me pocket, more to mess about with idly in the pub afterwards than to shove in peoples' faces in the queue and wave about in front of the screen each time a transformer appeared.

I don't really see why it's a problem, if it's acceptable to go see movies in fish-net stockings and corsets, or swing toy light-sabers at each other for the sake of cult, why not whip out GWUN optimoos or buy a place for fort max ? Go nuts.
Originally posted by dotCommunism
why would anyone take a toy to the movies in the first place? i mean i guess i could excuse it if it was a ten year old, but an adult should be able to sit through a whole movie on their own
Taking a toy to the cinema in case you get bored ? what ? I'd take one because the toys are part of what I like about transformers, seems logical to have one handy when my mind's infatuated with them.
Civ

Post by Civ »

In a couple words -- Hell no.

Reasoning is pretty much the same as Aardvark's. As stupid as the social stigma and society norm is for my area, I can't ignore it. A fully grown man playing with kids toys in public is probably the equivalent or worse of all those guys who dressed up as Darth Vader or some other Star Wars character and waited in line for hours before the movie started.

Am I going to get some of the toys? Yeah, but as TFVanguard said, "time and place". In my own home, maybe a friend's home if he/she is cool with it, or going to a convention/meet then sure, but not out in public like that. I've already seen the reaction people have in my area when a dude blurts out something or wears something TF-related and it ain't good. Course, the dude is a bit nuts and I finally had to tell him to tone it down by a lot so people won't think he's strange.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Well first off I probably won't take any with me to the theatre, but my son probably will. Secondly, my reason for doing so is not the same as anyone elses on here. I have kids and therefor have enough to carry with me. If I wanted to take a figure with me I sure wouldn't give a **** what anyone thought about it though. I'm not one to care how anyone views me, I do what I want and don't really worry about how people see me or what they think of me.

Now let it also be known that up until a few months ago when I gave it to my son...I carried a Bumblebee keychain with me everywhere I went, and usually my keys hang on my side in my belt loop..so it was visible. Let it also be known that my desk at work has more than a few transformers on it and I regurly fiddle/play/transform them during slow periods...and I do this openly in public ;gasp!;

I think alot of people on here are a little uptight on this matter it seems, or too worried about how others view them..which is a shame really. Like slarti said..whats the big deal when other fandoms encourage cosplay and the bringing of memorabilia to the theatre? How is it really any different at all?

I say if you want to take toys with you do it, and to hell with what anyone else thinks

;)

EDIT: Also as I am a huge fan of the Halloween movie, I will most likely be wearing my Michael Myers costume to the opening of the new movie this Aug....so let that say what it may about me and my views on fandom and going to the theatre.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Uptight? Maybe...I dunno. I just felt the sting of narrow-minded people (with clout) before by just bringing BT Wheeljack to work and I don't care to feel that again.

http://www.tfarchive.com/community/show ... adid=38560
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

With me it'd be more the higher percentage of losing/breaking whichever figure... space in the cinemas over here (and TBH, it didn't seem different in the couple I went to in America) means I've usually got enough trouble stowing my food, drink, coat etc, let alone a toy...
Rookwise
Protoform

Post by Rookwise »

No

Mainly as a few have mentioned above. A 30 year old goin into a cinema carrying/playing with a toy will get the living sh1t kicked out of them in the area I live in.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

How about this?

Whoever actually does this forfeits any and all rights to complain about romantic relationships (or lack thereof) ever again?
BlueSkids

Post by BlueSkids »

Optimus Prime voice changing helmet!
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Originally posted by TFVanguard
How about this?

Whoever actually does this forfeits any and all rights to complain about romantic relationships (or lack thereof) ever again?

How could you possibly know that the person doing this doesn't have a romantic relationship at this time? I mean hell I'm married with 2 kids and I don't see anything wrong with it. And I don't think my wife would disown me if I brought a toy to a movie.

Actually I asked her to read this thread...and she wouldn't disown me :p
Mirage

Post by Mirage »

hmmmm, although in the past my friends and i have been joined by the action figure versions of the legion of doom on a night down the pubs and bars i don't think i'll be taking a t/f to the cinema with me, if i took fot max he's so big i'd have to buy the guy a ticket!
join me on myspace!!!! http://www.myspace.com/jezzy_bravo

if you get chance check out my eBay auctions...... http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZjezzy_bravoQQhtZ-1
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Originally posted by Ackula
...I don't see anything wrong with it...
As a rule of :up:, my affection for transformers is regarded as a quaint excentricity. I find that it's appreciated, and even slightly respected for not being ashamed of it (heu... add some quotation marks around "ashamed" if I'm being insulting, no offense meant) Well, obviously I don't go "hi there, I'm ed, I ****ing love transformers, don't you ?" to everyone I meet, but I certainly don't get any grief over it, nothing more than a sarcastic grin in any case.

... aww heck, it looks like I'm about to empty my bag. Sorry dudes/dudettes, I'll probably end up way off-topic.

I don't see this as a cross I have to bear, or as some 'orrible disease that needs to be kept out of sight... Mind you, I don't see people taking the piss as much of a problem either, it's not like I demand that everyone take my opinion as the word of dog, as long as they don't either. Like, usually if someone starts forcing their point of view on me, I just go back into my shell, and consider what they've said when they've finished being aggressive, usually a month or two afterwards.

Anyway... now I'm lost... heu... ah right, getting stick from liking childrens' stuff. Well, unless there's a devils' advocate somewhere round here, I don't suppose there's a lot I can say that isn't redundant... blah blah... what a mess. At least I'm not waffling.

...wai
Angus
Protoform

Post by Angus »

I think taking a small deluxe toy would be fine, I don't even think "normal" people would find that too ackward. I wouldn't bring a leader class sized toy with me though...

I remember I took Obi and Ani Lego minifigs to the theater when watching Episode III for the second time, it was fun =)
Angus
Brazilian TF Collector
Los Angeles, CA
My collection