LETS DO THIS! DC = Marvel Matchup

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Zeeks

LETS DO THIS! DC = Marvel Matchup

Post by Zeeks »

Ok, I've been wanting to do this for a while. With the long competitive history of both companies, let's match up the DC and Marvel equivalents. It doesn't necessarily have to be hero to hero or villain to villain- sometimes, it could have to do with backgrounds or simply costume or abilities. Add explanations if you wish.

To start off with:

King Pin = Lex Luthor

Daredevil = Batman (both saw parents killed- turned them into superheroes)

Prince Namor = Arthur Curry (for obvious reasons)

Mr. Fantastic = Elongated Man (both have rubber-ness)

Dr. Strange = Dr. Fate (magicians)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

What about that story where Batman = Wolverine, then? And Wonder Woman = Storm? etc
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Silly Cow

Re: LETS DO THIS! DC = Marvel Matchup

Post by Silly Cow »

Originally posted by Kremzeek75
King Pin = Lex Luthor

Sure, they're both bald but the similarities stop there. I would equal Luthor with Doom. They're both masterminds, both considered to be the greatest villain in their universes and they both have their own universe's front runner as their arch nemesis.

I would add to your list but at the moment I can't come up with any pairs that aren't too obvious or wasn't handled in Amalgam. I like to be original.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

d00d, Kwiksilva is, like, Teh Flash!!!!111one

... can we take Squadron Supreme (or whatever it was) as a given?
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Hawkeye -> Green Arrow
Capt. Marvel -> Capt. Marvel
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Jetfire

Re: Re: LETS DO THIS! DC = Marvel Matchup

Post by Jetfire »

Originally posted by Silly Cow
Sure, they're both bald but the similarities stop there. I would equal Luthor with Doom. They're both masterminds, both considered to be the greatest villain in their universes and they both have their own universe's front runner as their arch nemesis.

Over their history Luthor has generally been a lesser villian than Doom. It's only over the last 2 decades has he not been anything but a useless but determined mad scientist who had a hard on for Superman. I'd equate him more to Doc Ock until he was more consistently talked up post Byrne. But than that's the problem with DC Villians, they have generally been not much of a threat for most of their histories.

The hard thing for direct comparision is there isn't really any.

Superman serves the function of Captain America, Spider-man and Thor in the DC universe. Daredevil other than being quite gritty isn't really a direct comparision to Batman. Marvel have nothing really to match WonderWoman or Green lanternin their main cannon of characters, DC have no main character equivalents of Ironman, Wolverine or the Hulk. All both companies can pull is lame copies who are mostly minor characters. And really DCs Captain Marvel, Wonderwoman, Flash, Martian Manhunter and half of the rest of the heroes are really lesser Superman mans themselves. Marvel has generally had Superhero characters based on one main power or concept witht he villians being the more powerful and dangerous. DC are the other way round.

You can't even compare the JLA to the Avengers. Imagine if the Avengers are really the greatest of marvel. Then you would have Cap, Thor, The Hulk, The Silver Surfer, Doctor Strange, Wolverine, Ironman, Mr Fantastic, The invisible Woman and Professor X probably.
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

Originally posted by Silly Cow
I would equal Luthor with Doom. They're both masterminds, both considered to be the greatest villain in their universes and they both have their own universe's front runner as their arch nemesis.

For obvious reasons, I was waiting for someone to tackle Doom simply because......I can't. I have tossed this question around to friends, and they have come up with some pretty unique answers, including Luthor, but I just can't see it TBH. Doom is so much more than Luthor- He is a scientist as well as a sorcerer, which Luthor is not. I can see the common hatred of enemies- Doom has a mad on for Reed, Luthor for Supes. But Doom was not born wealthy nor was he an immediate leader- he fought his way to the top, whereas I think Luthor was spoon fed (correct me on that one if I'm wrong- I don't understand a whole lot outside of basic comic lines and Smallville re: Luthor). I also don't see Reed on the same level as Supes.

One of my friends passed the idea of Doom equalling Rhas Al Ghul, and in some Picasso sort of way, I can understand that. the regality; the lineage.......although Doom is still mortal whereas Rhas is not.

Another interesting comparison was Doom to Batman inasmuch as they are both mortals who brought themselves from the ground up, trained themselves, and live among others that don't seem so mortal, yet they can both hold their own exceedingly well among said group.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

I think Luthor was spoon fed (correct me on that one if I'm wrong- I don't understand a whole lot outside of basic comic lines and Smallville re: Luthor).
From what I remember from Byrne's version, which might have been retconned or not, he was born in poor family and he worked his way up.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

if anybody's the marvel equivalent of batman it's moon knight. except moon knight's alot more hardcore/cooler.

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Originally posted by Prowl1984
if anybody's the marvel equivalent of batman it's moon knight. except moon knight's alot more hardcore/cooler.

Iron Fist = Batman

Millionaire playboys with family tragedies, trained in the eastern arts, fights from the shadows. About as close a fit as you can make.
Transfannabeel
Protoform

Re: Re: Re: LETS DO THIS! DC = Marvel Matchup

Post by Transfannabeel »

For obvious reasons, I was waiting for someone to tackle Doom simply because......I can't. I have tossed this question around to friends, and they have come up with some pretty unique answers, including Luthor, but I just can't see it TBH. Doom is so much more than Luthor- He is a scientist as well as a sorcerer, which Luthor is not. I can see the common hatred of enemies- Doom has a mad on for Reed, Luthor for Supes. But Doom was not born wealthy nor was he an immediate leader- he fought his way to the top, whereas I think Luthor was spoon fed (correct me on that one if I'm wrong- I don't understand a whole lot outside of basic comic lines and Smallville re: Luthor). I also don't see Reed on the same level as Supes.

One of my friends passed the idea of Doom equalling Rhas Al Ghul, and in some Picasso sort of way, I can understand that. the regality; the lineage.......although Doom is still mortal whereas Rhas is not.

Another interesting comparison was Doom to Batman inasmuch as they are both mortals who brought themselves from the ground up, trained themselves, and live among others that don't seem so mortal, yet they can both hold their own exceedingly well among said group.

Well you could always go with Lord Havok, who's based on Doom :P.

Vandal Savage might be the close to Doom. But in general I don't think the big two have characters that reflect the same position in their respective universe, because of their basic differences.
Hound

Re: LETS DO THIS! DC = Marvel Matchup

Post by Hound »

Dr. Strange = Dr. Fate (magicians)
That would be awesome!

I can't even begin to guess at who wins that fight. That is one hell of a matchup though...

Aquaman beats Namor, mostly because Arthur is just way cooler than Namor.

Richards beats Dibny because he's a billion times smarter.

Batman would probably figure out a way to make Daredevil's enhanced senses a laibility for Daredevil...

Lex Luthor makes trouble for Superman, Kingpin would be a mild annoyance.

Hawkeye and Green Arrow would probably be a stalemate, both are just really good at what they do...

Shazam beats Marr-vell.

Doom and Luthor would be a draw, they're too evenly matched. Just cause Doom knows some magic doesn't mean that Luthor's not going to have a defense against magic.

Anybody who says Moon Knight is more hardcore than Batman hasn't read the Dark Knight Returns and hasn't read old Moon Knight. Moon Knight gets his ass handed to him.

Superman = Hulk

Now that would be one hell of a fight!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Hound
Batman would probably figure out a way to make Daredevil's enhanced senses a laibility for Daredevil...

Those airhorn things you get at sports stadiums. Blast one in Daredevil's ear. HOW USEFUL IS YOUR ENHANCED HEARING NOW BITCH?
Chip1123
Protoform

Post by Chip1123 »

just had a funny thought- daredevil vs blackbolt. wouldn't be much of a fight...

how about Doomsday Vs The Hulk? that would be interesting

or Darkseid vs Thanos?

Superman Vs Sentry?
No Reserves, No Retreats, and No Regrets!!!
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

Originally posted by Hound

Doom and Luthor would be a draw, they're too evenly matched. Just cause Doom knows some magic doesn't mean that Luthor's not going to have a defense against magic.

Insolence! Doom > Hound. PWND!

how about Doomsday Vs The Hulk? that would be interesting

or Darkseid vs Thanos?

Superman Vs Sentry?

Yeah, that's the stuff I was looking for. :p
I would say that Darkseid ranks as the ultimate villain in the DC Universe. He pukes up Luthor for breakfast then eats him again for lunch just out of bordom.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Chip1123
Protoform

Post by Chip1123 »

Green Lantern Vs Silver Surfer

Wonder Woman Vs Miss Marvel/Warhawk (Carol Danvers I think is her name, can't remember for sure)

So who from the DC Universe is gonna step up and take on Phoenix?
No Reserves, No Retreats, and No Regrets!!!
Hound

Post by Hound »

Originally posted by Chip1123
So who from the DC Universe is gonna step up and take on Phoenix?
Ion would probably be the closest the DC universe gets to someone on that kind of power level. I think that Jean gets the edge in that fight.

As I've never read that much about Silver Surfer I don't know what his limits are but a GL ring doesn't really have a limit as to what it can do. All a GL needs to do is want the ring to do something bad enough and the ring will do it.

As far as Danvers vs. WW. Hmm, might call that a draw. I think Woner Woman would be the stronger of the two but both are such skilled fighters. Though Wonder Woman is used to battling along side Superman and such against Gods like Ares and Hercules and Darkseid. Who's going to be the biggest threat Ms. Marvel faced, Kang? Ultron? Might give the edge to Wonder Woman...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Is this a random versus topic now, then? K3wl.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Halfshell
Is this a random versus topic now, then? K3wl.

Sooner or later, every discussion on the internet devolves into a random versus topic...
takara_destron
Protoform

Post by takara_destron »

Green Lanter - Silver Surfer

And even though this isnt a "versus" forum, half these battles have already happened atleast once

Recent Aquistions: Movie Voyager Autobot Ratchet, BW Transmetal II Megatron