Why is X-Files a commercial failure?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

My cinematic experience wasn't helped by the trailer for Mirrors that was before the film. The notion of Kiefer Sutherland in a supernatural thriller just made me spend most of the movie thinking how much better it would be if they'd called in Jack Bauer to help with the investigation rather than Mulder.

Jack would have had Connelly tied to a chair with no fingernails, screaming his innocence within two minutes. None of that rubbish about wanting to believe his story.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Halfshell wrote: Jack would have had Connelly tied to a chair with no fingernails, screaming his innocence within two minutes. None of that rubbish about wanting to believe his story.

Yeah but it still be ruined by the fact Jack would have to call the president to grant him immunity afterwards.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I liked the show, but I've really got no desire to see this movie.

But then, I didn't really watch the show towards the end, either. Which is odd, as I like Mimi Rogers and Robert Patrick...... Ah, well.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

I lost interest in the show when Stephen King started to write episodes, honestly... and shortly after THAT they did their huge 'storyline epic' which only wrapped up - sort of - in the first movie. At that point, if you hadn't followed EVERYTHING, there was no point in watching more.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Time between the series' end and the movie...

The advertising blackout. I didn't even know the movie was coming out until it was out...

Opening the week after The Dark Knight...

The movie being, apparently, pretty bad regardless of the timing factors...

Given how little fanfare was drummed up by Fox to advertise the movie, and opening it a week after the most anticipated movie of the summer, it seems Fox were content to let it sink like a stone. Given the mostly negative reviews, Fox may have known what they had in advance and just let it flop on release with the hopes to recoup some on DVD rentals instead shelving the whole thing.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Jetfire wrote:One other factor is that the Trailer seemed to focus on Billy Connelly more than Muklder and Scully or the plot.

This seems to be born out of a strange desire to hide the fact Mulder has a beard for close to half of the film. Connelly is actually the best thing in it by a country mile (and perhaps tellingly he's the only thing in the movie that makes it a X-File), sinister and sympathetic at the same time. The scene where Scully lets rip at him is the only moment where the film comes alive.

And that's a big part of the problem, the film as a whole is best described as "competent". It's got a straightforward plot without to many holes, the actors are decent enough, it looks good and is accessible enough to people who've never seen the TV show but there's no passion or fire in it. It's All Hail Megatron: The Movie.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cliffjumper wrote: it was good, standalone stuff,
So's the movie. Unfortunately people may not know that...

(Haven't read topic, sorry, no time.)
inflatable dalek

Denyer wrote:So's the movie.
Except for the "Good" part.
starlord
Protoform

Post by starlord »

It wasn't like the show so I heard.Or, maybe fans were tired of seeing it.
A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest of decepticons.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Nobody wants to believe any more?

Actually though, every reason I could guess has been mentioned already (haven't seen it myself, and to be honest I'll be a little surprised if it even gets a cinema release over here). I'd say a big factor is that there's a lot of competition at the moment and what with the price of cinema tickets being what it is, most people will only go to see things they have a real interest in. Not many people want to see a movie based on a show they stopped caring about somewhere in the region of 12 years ago.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Denyer wrote:So's the movie. Unfortunately people may not know that...
Of course, worst thing they have in England is drive-by arguments.

Thing is, most films are stand-alone fun - even if they have pared down the uninteresting subplots that alienated (hooooya!) the audience back in the day, it's still based on a TV show not that many people are interested in...

Personally, I don't think X-Files is suited to the big screen, full-stop. It doesn't need the extra money to work - I'm guessing someone's ego (either Duchovny or Anderson) came into play and they said they'd only do a cinematic return as the characters.

Also, I think people are a bit bored of conspiracies, y'know? A big part of X-Files' success over here was it was one of the first things really mainstream to come out and really popularise the concept of conspiracy theorists, taking it beyond anoraked weirdos on the very young internet. Now they're everywhere from Richard & Judy to Big Brother voting. Conspiracy theories seep into a lot of films now (I mean, there're elements in Transformers) - that's going to make anything that hangs its hat on them look a bit bland

OH MY CHRIST!

Bigger than big, taller than tall,
Quicker than quick, stronger than strong.
Ready to fight for right, against wrong.

Awesome.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Did he just punch a jet??

Shane McCarthy should sue.
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote: I'm guessing someone's ego (either Duchovny or Anderson) came into play and they said they'd only do a cinematic return as the characters.
It was probably Chris Carter more than anyone, he's been trying to get this made since at least the TV show ended, arguably since the first film. The two leads don't seem bothered either way (and it shows in their performances), and I don't think they'd have come back at all if they hadn't "proved" they can have success other than The X-Files in the last few years. Though it's ironic Duchovney left the show to make films and the only notable film he's been in since is a X-Files one...

I do think a decent film released at the right time could have been a modest hit and launched a franchise along the lines of Trek's 2-9- With a couple of exceptions none of them are huge huge blockbusters (Voyage Home, possibly First Contact. The Motion Picture made a insane amount of money but cost so much to make it would would up less profitable than the lower box office but also lower budget Khan), but Paramount knew they were guaranteed a minimum return and by keeping the budgets as low as possible they'd make a healthy profit. Trying to reinvent the franchise as Blockbuster with a capital B with Nemesis is what did it in.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Cliffjumper wrote: Bigger than big, taller than tall,
Quicker than quick, stronger than strong.
Ready to fight for right, against wrong.

Awesome.
Now to ruin Gigantor forever:

Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Oh wow, Saturday Morning Cartoons' Greatest Hits, the album I had forgotten existed until just now. Thanks oh so much Spengs :sick:
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Eeewch. There's actually a version by The Dickies which is quite good fun, but that one's so flat and try-hard...

Mind, I remember when every single music video looked like that for about 18 months...
inflatable dalek

To be vaugely ontopic for a second, something I was reminded of when coming out of The Dark Knight for a second time:
DrSpengler wrote: On another note, it's rated PG-13 and what teenager is going to go see this movie?
Oddly enough, here it's a 15, a higher rating than Batman (a film that's causing all sorts of fun because parents can't seem to grasp 12A means your supposed to check the film out first to see if your five year old will cope with it). That seems completely isane to me as there's nothing in the film worth a certificate that high.

In terms of worldwide boxoffice, it currently stands at 43 million:
http://the-numbers.com/movies/2008/XFIL2.php

So even assuming a high advertising budget (which seems unlikely) it's in the green, and once DVD and that has been factored in it will be a modest success rather than a outright flop. Whether that's enough for anymore remains to be seen, but if it is I'd keep Carter on as director but get new writers.

I now return you to conversation on cartoon shows I've never heard of ;)
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Everyone else hit the main points: too late, lack of advertising, the show lasted long enough to jump the shark, etc.

It was a profitable venture in that it got Walmart to put out a whole endcap of season sets and collections of "lore" episodes. I bought the whole series because they were $20 and actually in a store.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

eh i seen it. i liked it. I was only ever a casual fan of the show so I didnt have a vested interest in seeing it either.

ive probably only seen about 10 episodes tops of the x-files and I had no problem following what was going on. but yeah it was basically a more supernatural CSI.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
moonbaseone
Protoform

Post by moonbaseone »

I think they waited way too long to make the sequel and most of the regular people who liked it but weren't necessarly hardcore fans simply weren't interested in the new movie too much obviously.
"Till All Are ONE"

-Please visit FavoriteToons.com - your COMPLETE Cartoon Online resource for Toons, Anime, Transformers, and more!!!

By - Moonbaseone