Favourite Song Covers

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Time of your life- Greenday
Thats not my name- Dizee Rascal (In fact most live lounge stuff I love Radio1)
White and nerdy- Weird Al Yankovich.

TWO SPOONS DAVE SPOONS!
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

electro girl wrote:Time of your life- Greenday
The original being by whom?
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Halfshell wrote:The original being by whom?
How should I know it was on radio 2 with Terry Wogan and that other one on radio 2 who sounds a bit like Terry Wogan but he isnt he just sounds like him.

I dont listen to radio 2 exept for Russel Brand, it was on in the kitchen while my mum was doing kitchen things with whisks and whathaveyou and that round bit of blue and orange fire thats on top the thing where you open the door and out comes chicken or those little christmas decorations that you make in nursery school when your 3 but you cant eat the dough NO! you never eat the dough because its got salt in and knives and other stuff that children shouldnt eat, now go and play in the sand while they cook then you can give them to your parents who feel obligated to hang this god awful lump in their house and they saw oh yes electro girl made that at nursery school yes he's very talented and we'll throw it away soon and say its broke so we dont hurt his feelings.

(breathes)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Ridda ... ur_Life%29

It's not actually a cover at all. Neither's White and Nerdy.

Seriously, do you actually understand what this topic is about?

We're talking about these. You're talking about... **** knows.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

I do understand and I honestly thought that it was a cover because I heard it the radio and said 'This dosent sound like Greenday, did they cover it?' To wich my dad says 'Yes they did'. Its an honest mistake.

And if you think about it White and nerdy is kinda a cover even if its a parody and I think people have nominated Weird Al in this thread anyway.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Parody =/= Cover. I nominated "Bohemian Polka" for one reason. It's basically a sped up version of "Bohemian Rhapsody". Weird Al did not change the words at all.

More songs:
"99 Red Balloons"- Goldfinger (I actually like this one better than the original)
"Bohemian Rhapsody"- Guns N' Roses/Elton John
"Devil Went Down To Georgia"- Steve Ouimette
"Heart Shaped Box"- Evanescence
"Baby Got Back"- Jonathan Coulton
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

electro girl wrote:I do understand and I honestly thought that it was a cover because I heard it the radio and said 'This dosent sound like Greenday, did they cover it?' To wich my dad says 'Yes they did'. Its an honest mistake.
No, An Honest Mistake was by The Bravery. Do keep up.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Ziggy Stardust by Bauhaus - though their version isn't really that much different from the original, in my opinion.

Experiment in Terror by Fantomas - As in this tune, but with lyrics. Just wonderful.

Can't think of any others that I am fond of at the moment, but I know there's more. There just has to be.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Halfshell wrote:No, An Honest Mistake was by The Bravery. Do keep up.
Ah yes but was it a cover? I just dont know anymore my confidence has been shaken by this Greenday fiasco.:(
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Simple Man- deftones covering Lynyrd Skynyrd (or however the hell it's meant to be spelt)= best cover period.

Hurt- Johnny Cash covering NIN = second best cover ever...period.

Faith- Limp Bizkit

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Down In The Park (Gary Numan) - Marilyn Manson
Must Have Been Those Pills I Took (Those Poor Bastards) - Hank III
Red Hot (Motley Crue) - Vondur
Black Sabbath (Black Sabbath) - Type O Negative
Hybrid Moments (Misfits) - Lefthand Solution
Day The earth Caught On Fire (Balzac) - Misfits
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

whiskey in the jar is a traditional irish song. thin lezzy also "covered" it. sure metallica did a version close to the thin lizzy arrangement and in fact cited them in garage inc. its still not a cover in the sense of the word.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Hawkeye wrote:whiskey in the jar is a traditional irish song. thin lezzy also "covered" it. sure metallica did a version close to the thin lizzy arrangement and in fact cited them in garage inc. its still not a cover in the sense of the word.
Nothing beats the version the genuinely Oirish pub band did in our towns genuinely Oirish (it has green tiles on the wall) pub the other week.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Hawkeye wrote:whiskey in the jar is a traditional irish song. thin lezzy also "covered" it. sure metallica did a version close to the thin lizzy arrangement and in fact cited them in garage inc. its still not a cover in the sense of the word.
Surely it is, even if the origin of the song is from before the Thin Lizzy version I presume Thin Lizzy created the musical arrangement that backed the lyrics in the song. Metallica then covered that specific arrangement.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

yeah but thats the thing with traditional irish. every band does there own arrangement. doesnt make it a new song. newfoundland is a province steeped in irish roots. traditonal newfoundland folk music is very similar in stylings to traditional irish in the same way "waltzing matilda" is actually an australian song. anyway to make a long story short walk into one of the dozens of irish pubs downtown and any random band would be playing their rendition of this song.

but yes metallicas version is virtually the same as the thin lizzy rendition. wow ive argued pointless semantics over the internet. i don't think ive ever done that. I apologize.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

I'm not sure why it is necessarily pointless, you say Metallicas cover is not one "in the sense of the word" whereas I think it would be.

Sure, there may have been many different musical arrangements to the song, and had Metallica done their own fresh take on the song I would understand your comment. However, they chose to use an arrangement previously created by Thin Lizzy, therefor it is surely a cover "in the sense of the world."
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

so i play hitching a ride by greenday except i do it in dropped d tuning. someone plays it like me they are doing a cover of my song rather than a greenday cover in drop d?
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Zudo Bug wrote:These are not strictly song covers but Wierd Al Yankovic's parodies of other peoples songs are great. Ones like Fat (Bad), Eat It (Beat It), Like A Surgeon (Like A Virgin) and Amish Paradise (Gangsta's Paradise) are all funny. I just thought he deserved a mention on a Transformers forum because he did have one of his songs in the original movie.
I love his song "Don't Want to be a Canadian Idiot"

My favorite song cover is Social D.'s Ring of fire
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Baxter

Post by Baxter »

Voodoo Child (Slight Return) Stevie Ray Vaughn
Superstition SRV again
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

I wish a group would redo an old song, The Year 2525 by Zager and Evans. I ask numerous groups on myspace if they have plans of redoing it (if they are into the science fiction themes), but no one has ever wanted to redo it. (Scratch that.. Just looked it up on wikipedia.org and some bands did redo it, but I guess they aren't noteworthy since no one referred me to them ever in my convoes).

The one song cover I enjoy is "Last Kiss", can't remember the original group who did it, but Eddy Veder of Pearl Jam redid a few years back.
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines