You are the Proud Owner of a "Deathnote"!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Civ

You are the Proud Owner of a "Deathnote"!

Post by Civ »

So what the hell is a Deathnote? The main idea I want to see discussed is taken from an anime/manga:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathnote

Basically, with a Deathnote, you have the power to kill anyone, anywhere, completely undetected as long as you know the victim's name. All you simply do is write their name in the Deathnote (looks like a fancy, leatherbound book) and the person whose name you wrote will die in 40 seconds of a heart attack unless you specify how they will die. CSI would rule it a natural heart attack no matter how young the victim may be. Now, I'm not going to get into how your soul will be forever lost in purgatory or floating boogeymen will stalk you and all that extra stuff that happens in the manga and anime. What I'm curious about is if you have this Deathnote, would you use it? What would the circumstances be? Do you think you'd be able to resist using it?

And just to add a little bit of interest, let's say that the Deathnote is completely, totally invulnerable (unlike in the anime). You cannot destroy it and if you try to get rid of it like sending it to the bottom of the sea or firing it off into space with a rocket, it will return to you as good as new. In short, you are forced to live with this thing that could be quite tempting to use. Oh, and writing the name of the Deathnote inside the Deathnote will do you no good for anyone thinking along those lines. The book is only good for killing people. You can't command them jump around doing silly stuff like dancing in clown outfits or posting under the username Hotdog Divebomb ;). You can only kill people with it. That's it.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

I'd rather have a Geass. It has to be direct, but you can make people do ANYTHING. :D
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Energon Hot Shot

Post by Energon Hot Shot »

*pulls out death note*

Pat Lee
Don Murphy
Steam: Hot Shot
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Mugabe.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

It's not so much a deathnote I need as a Death complete bound series of encyclopaedias...

And boo to cliffy for giving a proper answer instead of the obligatory "That Simon Cowell lol" style stuff.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I guess I should have picked a long-ago TF penciller as well...
Time Lord
Protoform

Post by Time Lord »

Death Note's cool. It kinda reminds me of Dexter in a way (Light IS a serial killer by default, after all) only with Shingamis (Death Gods) and wierd thumb-sucking kids as detectives. Oh yeah, did I mention how cool it is? :D
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

I have never watched a single episode of Death Note. My knowledge of it only comes from the fact that I hang around with people who have.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

I've seen the whole series,really interesting,tons of plot turners and surprises.I love the shinigami,Ryuk and his addiction to apples.He'll even go into withdrawal symptoms if he doesn't get an apple by the hour.:lol:
SPOILER! (select to read)
The greatest spoiler of the series is that Light dies in the end
I was actually rooting for him too
What would make me hesitant to use it is that it was stated at the beginning of the series that if you use,you can't go to heaven or hell.
Civ wrote: Basically, with a Deathnote, you have the power to kill anyone, anywhere, completely undetected as long as you know the victim's name. All you simply The book is only good for killing people. You can't command them jump around doing silly stuff like dancing in clown outfits or posting under the username Hotdog Divebomb ;). You can only kill people with it. That's it.
Actually you can control whatever they do before they die.For example...
--------------------------------------------------------
Pat Lee:
Dancing in a clown outfit posting under the username Hotdog Divebomb,wil run out into the street singing "Stayin Alive!" and get ran over by an 18 wheeler.
"Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Movies I've seen recently:
Red
Johnny Got His Gun
A Clockwork Orange
Fight Club
Toy Story 3
Zombieland
Tenacious D The Pick of destiny
Watchmen
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

Surely given Civ's definition Cliffy has just killed everyone called Mugabe from baby Mugabe to Great Gran Mugabe.
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

Best manga I’ve read recently. Elements of a supernatural thriller mixed in with a detective story.:up:

PS, isn’t this the wrong forum
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
Civ

Post by Civ »

rattrap23 wrote:PS, isn’t this the wrong forum
No, it's not. This thread isn't about the anime or manga. If it was, I would have put it in the "Animation and Comics/Manga" subforum. This thread is about whether or not, you would use a Deathnote to kill someone. That's it. Nothing to do with any of the characters. We're just talking about a particular aspect that I thought would be interesting to discuss. So I will reiterate for those who don't like reading paragraphs:

Would you, yes, YOU -- the guy or girl sitting in front of your monitor, use a Deathnote to kill someone? If so, what would it take for you to do it?
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Hmm, let's see...

I'd kill Steven Anderson (this kid at my school who EVERYONE hates, including me), my math teacher Ms. Jackson, the other math teacher Mr. Curry, a whole bunch of other people...It would be a bloodbath.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

I would prolly use the Deathnote to kill off little flies that annoyed me. Not people per se, but just actual insects or whatnot.
SPOILER! (select to read)
In the series a person DOES have a choice to use the special powers of identification just by looking at a face. Misa does this when she obtains the other Deathnote.
. I'd just have more fun just having it and just ticking off the god(s) of death assigned to it by NOT using it for it's intended purpose, like a paper weight, or to just act like I will use it and then change my mind. And yes.... an addiction to apples is quite a funny trait to have for a character lol.
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Am I the only person who bought a Death Note notebook from Hot Topic?
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

secretcode wrote:Am I the only person who bought a Death Note notebook from Hot Topic?
I don't even think they had a Deathnote at our local HT here in Fort Smith. That just shows how poorly we get things in the southern u.s. lol. If I had known they'd had one I mighta ordered one online if I could. I'll have to check now thanks for the tip Secretcode!:up:

-Space Marines
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

secretcode wrote:Am I the only person who bought a Death Note notebook from Hot Topic?
Hot Topic sells those? Neat. Now if only I could get over my fear of Goths and actually go in there. :P
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Sunstreaker2 wrote:Hot Topic sells those? Neat. Now if only I could get over my fear of Goths and actually go in there. :P
Goth's aren't too bad. They just sometimes are smelly people lol.

-Space Marines
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Well, I'll find a way to get over my insecurities and go get some TF shirts and a Death Note. :D
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Sunstreaker2 wrote:Well, I'll find a way to get over my insecurities and go get some TF shirts and a Death Note. :D
I am not seeing the Deathnote on their website honestly SS2. However, that doesn't mean much - but if you can;'t find one in the store see if you can special order (unless they say they are at the mercy of the company or something). I know they do the "mercy" excuse when I try to special order music lol.

-Space Marines