Why the Canadian military is awesome

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Blaster

Why the Canadian military is awesome

Post by Blaster »

http://www.macleans.ca/world/wire/artic ... t=w082611A
Operation Timis Preem - a play on popular Transformers character Optimus Prime - was designed to "mow the lawn of Pashmul. Clear it out," Duncan said.
So cool....
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

Where like that, aren’t we?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

You are a place?

Anyway, I was half expecting Zamboni-tanks and Awesome Health Care Grenades... But a cat is fine too this is fine too.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

we went the farthest in on the first day of the d-day offensive.

in ww1 we were the terror of paschendale, known to the germans as "storm troopers"

the entire newfoundland regiment lost their lives for a few feet of mud in the battle of the somme.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

The entire male population of Newfoundland dead in ten minutes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

rattrap23 wrote:The entire male population of Newfoundland dead in ten minutes.
Could we persuade you to do it again? Go on. You know you want to.
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

you best be joking
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

secretcode wrote:Awesome Health Care Grenades.
Well It sure would suck to have to pay for hospital treatment, but hey what kind of civilized country would do that anyway?
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

electro girl wrote:Well It sure would suck to have to pay for hospital treatment, but hey what kind of civilized country would do that anyway?
Welcome to the USA. =\

I don't like that fact, plus my medications cost about $250-300 a month, but besides that it's rather enjoyable place to life from my narrow point of view.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Hawkeye wrote:you best be joking

I think he was just hoping for rattrap... can't say I disagree.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Don't worry H. I was. I figured it wouldn't work with a ;)... Would be too obvious then.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Without wanting to sound callous, if the "entire male population of Newfoundland" was deployed at the Somme, it's not much of a surprise things didn't go too well. The able-bodied men where presumably busy looking after babies, octogenerians, people in wheelchairs, rams, and so on and so forth.

Melodrama and broad strokes are no way to treat heroes.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Anyway, getting brutally slaughtered at the Somme for no good reason was hardly an exclusive cool thing only the Canadians did.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

we werent canadians at the time. we were the republic of newfoundland, ordered by the british to take the somme. no it wasnt the entire male population it was 500 guys. but it was our entire millitary at the time.

theres a monument over in france for our boys. of course we werent the only guinea pigs, there were a few irish regiments from what i understand as well.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Hawkeye wrote:we werent canadians at the time. we were the republic of newfoundland, ordered by the british to take the somme. no it wasnt the entire male population it was 500 guys. but it was our entire millitary at the time.

theres a monument over in france for our boys.
And so there should be... Although it should probably be remembered that anyone who could hold a rifle was treated much the same by Allied [anachronism alert?] brass - while colonial troops did get shat on, so did everyone else who had a front-line posting (which is one of the reasons things like Gallipoli [the film] are so dangerous, implying that it was only ANZAC forces put in such a preposterous situation). All I'm saying is things of that magnitude should be treated with respect and dignity, not hyperbole and sad smilies.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

i agree with you cliff. just refuting rattraps claim.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Cliffjumper wrote:All I'm saying is things of that magnitude should be treated with respect and dignity, not hyperbole and sad smilies.
I very much agree, now im probably the last person to say that the military in its entirety are jolly magnificent people for even going near a warzone, but the sometimes sad reality is that as time goes by people (myself included) will increasingly use hyperbole and similes when refering to tragic events like the Somme or Gallipolli even as recently as 7,7 attacks (not for that last one mind). I'd joke about the blitz and the next day i'd see my grandmother who was trapped in her bombed house and lost friends and not feel very bad. I guess the point i'm trying to make is that people can be light hearted about an event and not be insensetive but the fact that it isnt is perhaps the insensetivity itself. If that makes sense?
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!