You are the Proud Owner of a "Deathnote"!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

I would kill Ms. Woodsmith, an english teacher at my school.
After that, I wouldn't really have a use for it.

Maybe I could use it for blackmail, and get rich:up:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Is anyone else bothered by how casually we can discuss the ending of someone's life? I know we're dealing in an imaginary situation, but it's a problem I see all over the place, not just here. When exactly did anyone who's not us become expendable? I fall victim to it too, but it's sad that human life has become so cheap.
Energon Hot Shot

Post by Energon Hot Shot »

*pulls out death note*

...And what's your name?
Steam: Hot Shot
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Eh, I'm just insane and murderous. :P
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

And I just want a paper weight lol :D.
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

what are all you nerds talking about?
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Notabot wrote:Is anyone else bothered by how casually we can discuss the ending of someone's life? I know we're dealing in an imaginary situation, but it's a problem I see all over the place, not just here. When exactly did anyone who's not us become expendable? I fall victim to it too, but it's sad that human life has become so cheap.
Every passing second a human dies, there is no reason to make any fuss about any one in particular.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Sod a Death Note. I feel so rough this morning I'd rather have a sick note and get off work please...

:sick:
Wreck and Rule!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Notabot wrote:When exactly did anyone who's not us become expendable?
Dunno... who was the first cro magnon to get clubbed to death for bodging a hunt?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Notabot wrote:Is anyone else bothered by how casually we can discuss the ending of someone's life? I know we're dealing in an imaginary situation, but it's a problem I see all over the place, not just here. When exactly did anyone who's not us become expendable? I fall victim to it too, but it's sad that human life has become so cheap.
I would severely argue whether Mugabe has forfeitted the basic human right to live.

The morons (no offence to you all, like...) listing teachers, film producers and the like are poseurs who need a swift clout around the ear (preferably with some sort of barbed rusty metal bar), no problems there. but Robert Mugabe is evil, and highly likely to kill many more innocent people as the world seems to be turning a blind eye. It's to my shame that the only person to seriously stand up to him was arrested by the British police when they should have backed him with a firearms team or the SAS.

Life is valuable, and those who treat that of others so cheaply lose their rights to their own.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Mugabe is filth. If I did have a Death Note, I'd use it for people like him. Maybe pedophiles while I'm at it. Micheal Jackson is currently in limbo... allegedly.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Kali wrote:Every passing second a human dies, there is no reason to make any fuss about any one in particular.
So you wouldn't mind if someone were discussing putting your daughter's name on one of these?
Cliffjumper wrote:The morons (no offence to you all, like...) listing teachers, film producers and the like are poseurs who need a swift clout around the ear (preferably with some sort of barbed rusty metal bar) .
Bingo! That's the casual stupidity/callousness that bugs me the most. "My teecher don't lik my speeling, so I want hur ded." It shows a complete disregard for others and tries to say that murder is justified because they've inconvenienced me.
but Robert Mugabe is evil, and highly likely to kill many more innocent people as the world seems to be turning a blind eye. Life is valuable, and those who treat that of others so cheaply lose their rights to their own.
Exactly. And that cheap treatment of life seems to be becoming more and more rampant. People "joke" about it, but it quickly turns to reality. Musicians get killed because "they totally ruined my favorite band." Teachers and classmates get killed because they made someone angry. Even when we're driving down the road, some yahoo cuts us off and we kind of hope to see him wrapped around a telephone pole a few miles down the road. We've really lost a huge amount of empathy for the most part.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Notabot wrote:So you wouldn't mind if someone were discussing putting your daughter's name on one of these?
Considering that a "death note" is a fictional plot device from some anime I've never heard of before, no I can't say it would bother me very much. There is quite a big difference in talking about something and doing it. But to more broadly answer your question in regards to the intent that I am assuming you meant it to be taken at, I obviously value my daughter's life.

However I still stick to my statement that humans die every second of the day, and I see no real reason to make a huge fuss about any one in particular. The importance placed upon a human's life is only valid to the person or persons who placed that importance on them to begin with. To everyone else they are just one more statistic. While I would obviously be upset if something happened to one of my close family members, the relative amount of people outside our close knit family that would care or be affected is very low by all standards of measure.

Therefore I cannot be bothered with caring about those whom I do not know on an intimate basis. We cannot care about everyone. To love everyone would devalue the meaning of love itself. The concept of loving everyone and doing good to all is a nice moral concept, however it is highly impractical and problematic in practice.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Kali wrote: To love everyone would devalue the meaning of love itself.
So we drop the norm to total apathy, and those we "love" are the ones that we don't beat the snot out of for kicks?
I hear what you're saying, have heard it many times before, and I'm not accusing you personally of anything. I just think that people have really lost a sense of community and need to look outside themselves more. (Yes, yes, I'm a fascist without a mustache.) What if we actually did try to care about an anonymous death? No, we can't do it perfectly, but that doesn't mean we don't do it at all.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Notabot wrote:So we drop the norm to total apathy, and those we "love" are the ones that we don't beat the snot out of for kicks?
No. Those we love are the ones that deserve our love. Not everyone deserves to be loved by all people. Its absurd to think that is even possible on any level. To not care about someone does not equate "beating the snot out of them". I'm not a violent person at all, but there are a very small select few in this world I'd say I care about sincerely. And unfortunately I'm am brutally honest, a trait which people seem to despise more than appreciate.

I don't consider my state of being to be apathy either. I am a very happy person, and I can show a generous amount of both love and respect, to those who deserve it. Those that do not deserve it will get very little from me. This does not equal apathy, or hatred either. To hate is just as strong an emotion as love, if not more so. I feel the same way about hate. I cannot possibly hate everyone either, this would devalue the meaning of hate itself. Those select few I genuinely hate have earned that hate, and if they were to come to an untimely demise I would not feel bad at all, I would in fact rejoice their passing.
starlord
Protoform

Post by starlord »

I would give to my worst enemy or Bin Laden.
A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest of decepticons.
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

Sunstreaker2 wrote: Now if only I could get over my fear of Goths and actually go in there.
Ha! Those kids wish they were REAL Goths. All a bunch of emo pansies and Spooky kids in there probably. Probably don't even know who Bela Lugosi was or that he's dead. Mention Bauhaus to them and they'll respond with a 'Did you sneeze?' :nonono: Kids these days.

Anywho, back on topic. I don't think a could ever really use a Death note (which is a superb anime w/ great opening sequences. Heard the manga was better but haven't gotten around to reading it) I don't think myself worthy enough to take a life unless in a survival situation, like a duel-to-the-death and what not.
~
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Ostentatious wrote:Ha! Those kids wish they were REAL Goths.
What, raiding the borders of the Roman Empire, wearing metal helmets and stuff like that? Not sure what it's got to do with a German art school and a Hungarian actor, but there we go.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

Cliffjumper wrote:What, raiding the borders of the Roman Empire, wearing metal helmets and stuff like that? Not sure what it's got to do with a German art school and a Hungarian actor, but there we go.
don't you know that the visigoths were great patrons of the arts? especially ones from the future.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Civ

Post by Civ »

Notabot wrote:When exactly did anyone who's not us become expendable? I fall victim to it too, but it's sad that human life has become so cheap.
It's not that I don't agree with the statement that human life shouldn't be cheap, but I do believe that until relatively recently human life was considered cheap depending upon who you were. Hell, that's still true even today, just look at China.

People working like dogs for pennies and having to live at the factories in deplorable living and work conditions. Slavery is another example that comes to mind about people who were considered "cheap". Sold the poor sods off like cattle.

Now, if I had a Deathnote, I have to admit that I would need a really good reason to use it. If there was someone that was the reason for deaths of thousands to millions of lives, I think it would be time to break out the Deathnote. Adolf Hitler and his higher ranking lackies who enjoyed killing Jewish people come to mind.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up: