A non-spoiler Battlestar Galactica thread

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sir Auros

A non-spoiler Battlestar Galactica thread

Post by Sir Auros »

I got Season 1 for my birthday, figured I'd take the plunge and trust the nerd hype on this, and I enjoyed the show. The writing's not as tight as some of the other serialized dramas out there, but it's not the utter garbage that makes up literally 99% of television programming.

However, upon finishing the season tonight, I'm pissed that the second season is split up into 10 episode sets that cost MORE than the first season + miniseries. WTF? How did you guys let Sci-Fi get away with this? Why didn't you storm their headquarters and force them to release season two in a sensible fashion under threat of skin flaying?

My nerd brothers, you guys dropped the ball on this one.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

It's due to the network splitting the season's broadcast in two - ie, the first half came out in time for the second half to be aired. Pricing on it's scandalous though.

The R2 set is the complete series, though obviously will cost you even more. :-/

Looks like they might do the same for season 4.

[EDIT, now I have time]
The whole DVD release sitch is a total mess, to be honest.

You can get the mini series on its own, or included in the R1 release of season 1 - though I believe that's sans the extras from the individual release. The mini and season 1 are only available separately on R2, and are pretty stingy extras wise.

Season 2 you can only get in two halves on R1 (apparently there are no plans to reissue it as a complete set because it "wouldn't be fair" on the people who've already forked out for the two parts), though the 2.5 release does include the extended version of ep 10 (last ep on 2.0).

The R2 release of Season 2 includes all 20 episodes, and only the extended version of ep 10, but only has extras for the first half of the season.

Season 3... is complete for both R1 and R2. R2 has one sole extra, being a recap docu/clipshow of the first two seasons. R1 has mondo extras, including a completely recut and extended version of episode 9 (not sure if the broadcast version's included though) and the webisodes set between seasons 2 and 3.

Not sure what the differences are for Razor, if at all.

But, basically, whether you're on R1 or R2, you're gonna get screwed somewhere along the line.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I don't want to pirate these, but my principles are such that I feel I shouldn't have to pay ~$80 for something that should cost half that.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

actually could someone explain it to me? I got season 1 a few months ago on similar pretenses as auros but I havent taken the plunge in buying season 2 as im confused as to what i need to get.

auros' complaint pretty much told me what I was wondering but let me get this straight season 2 and season 2.5 are both required purchases to haev the entire second season?

also whats this battlestar gallactica: razor? is that collected in the season boxed sets as well?
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Hawkeye wrote:auros' complaint pretty much told me what I was wondering but let me get this straight season 2 and season 2.5 are both required purchases to haev the entire second season?
Yes. Season 2 was split in half during broadcast (Sci Fi Channel move in mysterious ways), so in order to bring people upto date, the first half was made available on DVD prior to the airing of the second half. It's utter bollocks and only applies to the Region 1 release. As said earlier, they've stated an intent not to reissue as the complete season as it's unfair on those who've already forked out for both. I say try and grab at sale prices. Or import - the R2 version (all 20 eps) is about £30 at the mo.
also whats this battlestar gallactica: razor? is that collected in the season boxed sets as well?
Razor was a tv movie which essentially comprises episodes 00a and 00b of production block 4. Or, in English, it's a double length episode that was ordered/filmed as part of season 4 but released separately.

No, it's not included on any season boxed sets so far. It's set approximately between episodes 18 and 19 of season 2, but is best watched after season 3 (it was basically made to give us something in the epic wait between seasons 3 and 4 - an edited version was shown on tv a few days before the full thing was released on DVD).

I doubt it'll be included on any season 4 DVD releases. It's standalone.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Isn't calling the releases 2.0 and 2.5 a little confusing? I know they're going for a computer upgrade vibe, but considering most non season DVD releases of shows tend to be numbered sequentially (Season 2 Volume 1, 2.2, 2.3 and so on) wouldn't this confuse people looking at labels in the shop that there are five sets in total for season 2?

Having only got the first half of season 2 so far I assumed the second half would be labled 2.1.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Halfshell wrote:Season 3... is complete for both R1 and R2. R2 has one sole extra, being a recap docu/clipshow of the first two seasons. R1 has mondo extras, including a completely recut and extended version of episode 9 (not sure if the broadcast version's included though) and the webisodes set between seasons 2 and 3.

Not sure what the differences are for Razor, if at all.

But, basically, whether you're on R1 or R2, you're gonna get screwed somewhere along the line.
What the hell?

I've been patient and purchased Finnish R2 versions of the box sets as I want to support the companies releasing those (small country, not guaranteed they'll continue if people don't buy etc.).

Season 3 should be available about now, but I haven't seen it in the shops yet. Would I be missing something important if I go for the R2 version?
-how significant changes for the above mentioned episode?
-what web episodes?

I don't dare to search the net in fear of spoilers, help?

Edit: Did a quick search on Ebay, would you know what kind of release Australian box set (R4) is?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Osku wrote:What the hell?
You're shocked? I don't even remember making that post... I was trashed last night... yet it's still actually coherent. Yay! Dalek really has no excuse.
I've been patient and purchased Finnish R2 versions of the box sets as I want to support the companies releasing those (small country, not guaranteed they'll continue if people don't buy etc.).

Season 3 should be available about now, but I haven't seen it in the shops yet. Would I be missing something important if I go for the R2 version?
-how significant changes for the above mentioned episode?
-what web episodes?

I don't dare to search the net in fear of spoilers, help?

Edit: Did a quick search on Ebay, would you know what kind of release Australian box set (R4) is?
Rightio then. Let's have a stab at this.

I've not seen the extended version of 3.09 yet, so I can't comment on whether it works better or not. Supposedly there's about 25 minutes of extra footage, changing the entire structure of the episode (not just extended bits and a few new scenes, as per the extended version of 2.10) - Bear McCreary recorded an entirely new score for it.

According the the BSG Wiki, Ronald Moore's said that he things some stuff works better in the extended cut... some stuff doesn't. Something in between would probaby be better. Having read a breakdown of the recut episode, I'm fine with the shorter version... doesn't spell things out so much. A bit more subtle.

The webisodes aren't anything vital. There are 10 in total, running between 2 and 5 minutes. They were on the SciFi Channel website in the weeks leading upto season 3.

Really low budget stuff, with a cast of about four or five. Just basically gives a tiny bit of background to some of the characters going into season 3. Nothing really important, but as with anything it just adds a bit more substance. I think they were left off the R2 release because of clearance issues (R1 came out about six months later)... basically, the network classed them as promotional work, so nobody got paid a penny for them (shocking really... if I were in their position, I'd strike...)

The R4 set is the same as the R2 version, according to Wikipedia. Fairly sure it came out at the same time.

I can see myself buying a super deluxe "complete series" boxset on Blu Ray at some point down the line. Solely because I think it's inevitable, and hopefully because once the series is finished they'll actually be able to sit down and do it properly.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Halfshell wrote:You're shocked? I don't even remember making that post... I was trashed last night... yet it's still actually coherent. Yay! Dalek really has no excuse.
Except the post in question looks suspiciously almost word for word the same as one you did when i asked the same question. Either you cut and pasted or so many people ask you could do it in your sleep.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Halfshell wrote:You're shocked? I don't even remember making that post... I was trashed last night... yet it's still actually coherent. Yay!
It just proves that you're useful only when intoxicated. :o

--

Kidding aside, thanks for the info. I think I'll stick to Finnish version, which sadly costs about 40 euros at the moment.

Seasons 1 & 2 are actually on sale and cost 20 euros in my local market, but with the current € -> $ exchange rate and postage prices it propably won't help Auros.

Edit: Scratch the last paragraph.

I just bid/bought a combined lot of season 2 and 3. I have an extra season 2 box set now, priced 20€ + postage (Europe: 2,30 or 3,80, rest of the world 4,90 or 8,00). Not sure which weight class it goes to.

I'll also have to flatten the box, otherwise it'll about double the postage. I didn't remember these were slim boxes. :)

No pressure getting it, I can easily get it shifted here as well. :)
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Ugh, I caved in and bought Season 2.0 at Walmart, but I can get 2.5 for $28 from Deep Discount later. I probably should have just waited for a comprehensive Bluray release, but...

A - Being on Bluray, it would initially cost half the world's remaining oil supply.

B - The special effects, viewed in HD would probably be more retarded special than awesome special.

C - I want to watch it now, in decent definition, and without asiatic subtitles as seen on tvshack.net

Is the show done at this point? I knew season 4 was the end, but I didn't know if the finale had aired.

Season 2 has much, much tighter writing and pacing than season 1. Very tense stuff.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Sir Auros wrote:Is the show done at this point? I knew season 4 was the end, but I didn't know if the finale had aired.
They've filmed all of season 4. The first half finished a few weeks ago, but for reasons known only to SciFi Channel, the second block of ten episodes isn't airing until "first quarter 2009".

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest for them to split the DVD release, as per season 2, so that "people can get upto speed before the series resumes".

There's talk of another tv-movie (as per Razor) in the interim. Likely to be set at some point in the timeline prior to season 4.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Right, looks like they are, as expected, splitting season 4's DVD release.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Battle ... dot0/10038

30th December. No spoilers in that link. Well, other than the mention that the first half of the season ends in a cliffhanger. Which I don't think counts.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Well, season 3 isn't available to me here, so it's watch it on tvshack.net, buy it at Comic-Con, or order it online after next week. It sucks too since the season 2 cliffhanger was a megaton.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

how come its not available auros?
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Oh, I mean it's not available in any store in my rural location.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Halfshell wrote:There's talk of another tv-movie (as per Razor) in the interim. Likely to be set at some point in the timeline prior to season 4.
Right, this is pretty much confirmed now. It'll be set somepoint during season 1, written by Jane Espenson and directed by Eddie Olmos.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Excusey double post.

Right, supposedly the new prequel movie will be called "The Plan". Considering it'll be Cylon-centric, that's unsurprising.

As far as season 4 on DVD goes, Playback are releasing the first 10 episodes in the UK next month. Under the banner "Season 4", wonderful. It'll be 4 discs, so whether that'll include Razor or not remains to be seen (though their official site doesn't list the episode on the contents).

They're also sticking out a new boxset collecting everything so far, which will be labelled "The Complete Seasons 1-4". Spectacular. That won't confuse anybody. At all.

I'm guessing they'll be sticking the last half of season 4 out as "Season 5." Fortunately it'll be done after that, so we won't reach Family Guy levels of inaccuracy.

Last ten episodes are due to air from January. Final two episodes'll be a two-parter, with the latter a double-part episode. Giving us a nice chunky three-hour finalé. Well, three hours in tv-time, anyway.

Has Auros done season 3 yet then, or what?
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Yeah, just finished it this past weekend, actually.

I guess I'll need to try to catch season 4 in reruns or else wait until the DVD release here. Frakking CNN totally spoiled something from season 4 in an article discussing the word "frak," by naming an actor and the part he plays. Only thing is, he's not playing that part as of the end of season 3.

We're re-watching Heroes now (still on the first season), so we'll be ready for season 2.5.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Sir Auros wrote:I guess I'll need to try to catch season 4 in reruns or else wait until the DVD release here. Frakking CNN totally spoiled something from season 4 in an article discussing the word "frak," by naming an actor and the part he plays. Only thing is, he's not playing that part as of the end of season 3.
I read a similar article on another news site, so I can guess who/what you're referring to. Bites. :(