TFTM Widescreen... why not ?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Xilef_Darklight
Protoform

TFTM Widescreen... why not ?

Post by Xilef_Darklight »

It's just SO unfair....
For one thing, my favorite animated movie of all time was digitally remastered from a TAPE for God's sake... (referring here to the fight between the junkions and the autobots on the Rhino DVD where you can see analog tape distortions... the one part of the DVD that was not remastered).
Then there is the fact that SUNBOW has uncovered a Widescreen print of the film too late... And THIRD, There is Maverick that teased us for months of finally getting Widescreen/delaying release/confirming FOUND status of the Widescreen/delaying some more/delaying/delaying.... RELEASING 4:3 version with a WIDESCREEN TRAILER !!! ;:-(
What gives, you guys... ? How could we convince Rhino to release a ULTIMATE 16X9 ANAMORPHIC WIDESCREEN DVD version of TFTM ? (umm... yeah... ANAMORPHIC... so I get it FUllscreen on an EVENTUAL rectangular TV.. for more info, go to the following URL... http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/ ... lcome.html
Jim

Post by Jim »

The film was matted which covered up the top and bottom of the picture. It was animated full frame, and what you see on the DVD/Tape is the original format. Rhino/Maverick could make a widescreen version by covering the top/bottom, but making an anamorphic print will probably be impossible. Rhino or Maverick would have to somehow locate the original negatives (which are probably long gone by now), and then completely redo the telecine transfer using an electronic “anamorphic” process to create a new video master. In addition, you would have to re-sync existing soundtracks again. This would cost a large sum of money. The possible sales are probably too low justify the creation of an anamorphic widescreen DVD.

For more information about the video format of TF:TM, go here: http://www.iocon.com/cj/tf/movie/video.htm

------------------
More Than Meets The Eye;
I'm an anime slut in disguise. Image
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Having finally scoped out this thing for myself, that trailer does looks pretty sweet... shame about the rest of the disc. Not too fussed about the print of the movie (sensible gamma levels, all of the backgrounds were clearly visible — definite thumbs up; genuine video doesn't have much black in it by default.)

The audio/picture gallery even I could have done more professionally... bleurgh. NRG did one good song, and appear to have pasted on a few samples with some free software they didn't know how to use. On the other hand, the Japanese ep is rather cool, and I'm definitely looking forward to watching it all through.

It's a real pity Maverick didn't invest in a decent flatbed scanner / anyone who knew how to use one... shoulda just bought the storyboards from Rhino.

------------------

Check out my collection & trade list and other TF stuff @ denyer.cjb.net!
Later, when I was hanging from the tree... — Bill Hicks
Xilef_Darklight
Protoform

Originally posted by Jim:
The film was matted which covered up the top and bottom of the picture. It was animated full frame, and what you see on the DVD/Tape is the original format.
OH MY GOD !!! YOU ARE RIGHT !!! ;:-) Hey, check this out, you guys !!! here is a comparison of the trailer and the actual scene on the DVD !!!

The actual scene:

The trailer:
Jim

Post by Jim »

The scenes are not exact. Please use exact scenes for comparison.

Now, anyone with the Rhino release, goto 13:01, and pause it. That is the correct scene in the trailer screen grab. If possible, use a DVD-rom drive or HDTV so the overscan doesn't cut off any of the image.

The real comparison displays more footage on all the sides of the image -left, right, top, and bottom. In the open matte, original version of the movie, Starscreams nosecone is fully visible. You get to see alittle more edge on the left of the top laser. The lower right displays slightly more laser as well. The right side has a little more of his wing. The top has a bit more sky.

What does this mean? Oh, right. The trailer (and movie) were matted.

As stated above, for more information, go here:
http://www.iocon.com/cj/tf/movie/video.htm

EDIT: One more link: http://www.iocon.com/cj/tf/movie/screening.htm

It's 2:54 am! Merry Christmas all!

------------------
More Than Meets The Eye;

[This message has been edited by Jim (edited 12-25-2001).]
Xilef_Darklight
Protoform

Originally posted by Jim:
The scenes are not exact. Please use exact scenes for comparison.
Sorry,... I got those from thetransformers.net ... He claims those are the caps from the R2 DVD...
Jim

Post by Jim »

Originally posted by Xilef_Darklight:
Sorry,... I got those from thetransformers.net ... He claims those are the caps from the R2 DVD...
Its cool man.

Time to kickback with some eggnog! WOOOOOO Image err... Ice Tea.. yea. Image

------------------
More Than Meets The Eye;
Redstreak
Protoform

Post by Redstreak »

Originally posted by Stuart Denyer:

The audio/picture gallery even I could have done more professionally... bleurgh. NRG did one good song, and appear to have pasted on a few samples with some free software they didn't know how to use. On the other hand, the Japanese ep is rather cool, and I'm definitely looking forward to watching it all through.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. This is the UK version you speak of, yes? Cuz none of that is in the American DVD.

R.

------------------
Image Image
Thanks to Skycat for the sig pic!
-------------------------
Wise man say; forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.

When my time on Earth is gone, and my activities here are past, I want they bury me upside down, so my critics can kiss my ass.

Redstreak and RCOSD, AWF Tag Team Champions & 2001 Alliance of the year!
-------------------------
Come on down to RCOSD & Redstreak's basement, where torture and pain are our game.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

And I'm gonna chuck in once again that with many, many high-quality films not even out in the UK on DVD, let alone in Widescreen, why the Hell should a 15-year old kids' movie, which most fans hate large parts of also, get any better treatment...

------------------

Please visit my site, The Transformers Database and visit the totally alive, kicking and far-out Message Board!

"Another day out with the boys - just me, Chaos and Mayhem - I love this job!"
"I'm Godzilla, you're Tokyo!"
"You haven't been where I have at all, so who are you to judge?"
"What am I, an idiot magnet?"
"Just remember kid, I'm not teachin' you this so you can go out an' kill people - I'm teaching you this to keep ya alive."
Walk a mile in my shoes, then criticise the way I am.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

..and I'm gonna throw in another vote for the fact that the fact that the UK film industry sucks is no excuse for not continuing to judge comparable products along-side each other, and for buying superior quality merchandise over half-hearted efforts in any given situation.
If we continue to buy trash, no-one's going to bother releasing anything more than trash. Why should we swallow region-coding like the good little punters suits want us to be?

Basically, trying to do something and displaying evidence of your shortcomings isn't a good way to shift stock. When we're talking about things (specifically: cover composition and other bits of image scanning) that an average computer user could have done a superior job of, sloppiness ain't welcome.

Has anyone got a URL for Zobovor's TF:TM comparison pages? It had the movie side-by-side next to the sticker album, which clearly indicated the edge of the shots being snipped.

Personally, I'm not fussed about widescreen at all (4:3 is a much more inviting ratio as far as the human brain is concerned, whereas widescreen is more suited to a cinema environment with a bit of distance. Plus attempts at widescreen monitors continue to suck majorly... Image)

Redstreak, yeah... the DVD followed the VHS re-release by Maverick, which had the Japanese episode but not the images (or the BBC documentary footage or trailer?) BTW, does anyone else cringe at whoever's attempt to mimic Craig Charles at the beginning of that "I Love 1984" thing?

I'm not annoyed at the quality of the release, since all I wanted was a copy of a film I love which isn't readily-decaying magnetic tape and to throw a bit of cash back into a system which by and large has presented me with consumer-fodder I've much appreciate. I'm annoyed that Maverick have made ill-timed compromises all the way through this project. If they can deliver on the rest of their promised schedule, then I wish them well; only it doesn't look particularly good from this vantage point right at the moment.

On balance, I'm just happy that the company takes fan-input and criticism on-board... they have good intentions and that has to count for something; even if it doesn't guarantee sales, it puts them in a better position to secure a market for the successes... Image

------------------

Check out my collection & trade list and other TF stuff @ denyer.cjb.net!
Later, when I was hanging from the tree... — Bill Hicks