[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Alligatorcon
Protoform

Post by Alligatorcon »

I bought "The curse of Monkey Island". It's rather neat :up:

Might buy the Ghostbuster game, if I can find it.
Ba weep granna weep ninny bang, it's a universal greeting-Illidan Stormrage
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

I haven't bought a game in, I dunno, 5 months. I'm still hypnotized by Katamari Damacy.:lol: But yah, I'm definitely buying ROTF 2 for pc. No way I'm buying a Xbox 360 until I stop hearing about most of my 360 buds getting the ring of death.
"Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Movies I've seen recently:
Red
Johnny Got His Gun
A Clockwork Orange
Fight Club
Toy Story 3
Zombieland
Tenacious D The Pick of destiny
Watchmen
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

secretcode wrote:Hey EG, you hear about the Pokemon Gold and Silver remakes?
Of course and it's a safe bet that I'll buy at least one.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Soul Silver mother****er.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Tiki Torch
Protoform

Post by Tiki Torch »

secretcode wrote:Soul Silver mother****er.
Cannot wait.

In the meantime though, I did buy Prototype. Great gameplay, but don't buy it if you want to play in a beautiful city like the one GTA4 has to offer. The other thing is the game likes to steal from marvel. You got wolverine claws equiped with well, the closest thing you can get to spidey powers without actually having spidey powers, and if you want, you can buy hulk fists.

But it incorporates it really well into very fun gameplay and a rather good story for the game it is.

Restoring a 64 collection, just got Mario Kart 64, Majora's Mask, Beast Wars, and a ton others.

Metal Gear Solid 1's back up now that I've finally gotten my ps1 memeory card.

As for future purchases, Modern Warfare 2 and Uncharted 2, but that's probably gonna be it.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

I just bought No More Heroes for the Wii. Partly because I heard it's good, and mostly because it was going for 900 yen. Bargain.

I may download Splatterhouse 2 onto my Virtual Console later as it costs 600 points, which is conveniently exactly how many I have left.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

The last games I actually picked up were Guitar Hero: Metallica and SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1 for the Wii (both of which I actually got through trade-in deals, no cash out of my pocket). Other than that, money's been tight, so I haven't bought anything lately, just revisiting games I already own for a second play-through. I recently started playing Super Mario Galaxy again, and finally got 120 stars with Mario. Now I'm playing through with Luigi!
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Just got Guitar Hero: Smash Hits. It has everything. Almost.
Slayer, Iron Maiden, Anthrax, Dragon Force, Lamb of God, Queens of the Stoneage, Joan Jett, Living Color, Rush, and others made it. Unfortunately, Incubus, those metalcore guys, Priestess, and AFI made it as well. There's also no Suicidal Tendencies or Foghat, which is disappointing. Oh well...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Dawn of War 2, I love it. Has interesting gameplay, tactics to use, etc. The big downer is I have to update my video card, and as a consequence my power supply, since I haven't updated my video card in three years of rebuilding the computer I use. The story could be a bit better truthfully, but overall it is enjoyable since it is not like its predecessors in the Dawn of War campaigns.
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

I play video games so infrequently, and I don't have any of the gaming consoles either, so I just use my PC. The last thing I played was Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith. I bought it at Target on sale IIRC. Decent game; helped pass the time. In hindsight, the game that has stood out most for me was Aliens Vs. Predator, with Marvel Ultimate Alliance a close runner up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Slayer-Fan123 wrote:Unfortunately, Incubus, those metalcore guys, Priestess, and AFI made it as well.
Damn them for trying to have an eclectic and broad range of styles/genres on their game!
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

I hate Guitar Hero, they never choose songs that are truthfully better compared to other songs of the bands mentioned. Case in point, Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast is not as good as say, Infinite Dreams or Afraid to Shoot Strangers. I am just too nitpicky on what I would choose compared to what seems "popular" for kids now because they rediscovered music....
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Yeah, well being that I listen to some of the most "unpopular" music there is, I'm not too fussed. At my age I am just glad they give the older bands any time of day at all, and truthfully some of the songs on Guitar Hero were very underground and obscure in their time, and I find it a huge shock some bands make it on this game. Case in point with Samhain and Merciful Fate for instance.

I used to bitch and moan about what was popular too when I was in Junior High School, and part of the way through High School. At some point you just realize that some shit will always be popular and some never will be, or if it is it will be so far in the future that you will no longer care about the genre by the time it gets mainstream (which is what seems to have happened to me many times). Good music is good music, whether 1 person or 10 billion likes it, all that matters is what you like. I realized that once I grew up a bit. I'm sure people here would be shocked to hear of some of the "popular" stuff I like, along with tons of bands most of you have never heard of, and never will most likely.

I can live with the broad spectrum of genres on the GH games, and can even have fun playing those that I'd never actually buy CDs of. The game designers have to balance a wide selection of songs, and obviously the more well known or popular songs of any band will be more prone to show up on there. Unless of course you are Anthrax, I'm not sure why the hell "Caught In A Mosh" got chosen over most of their other stuff. :lol:
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

Samhain is in GH Smash Hits? I should check it out. I like Caught In A Mosh, too.

I planned on buying ROTF, but wasn't sure I'd get it when it came out. I don't have the money to spend on it, and I live 15-20 miles from anywhere. (I don't drive.) But, I managed. It's definitely better than the first game. Your guns work, and they work pretty well. The new transformation controls are... not intuitive, I guess, they take some getting used to.:|The graphics are on par with the first one. I'm a ways into the Autobot campaign, and there aren't any human enemies *there are in the decepticon campaign. There's no Sideswipe, Skids, or Mudflap, I don't know if they're unlockable, or just absent. Like Ratchet in '07. Speaking of unlockables, they've put in some complete episodes of G1 for us. I've got 2, and they are S.O.S. Dinobots and War of the Dinobots, and Fire on the Mountain is next. hm. Dinobots. Anyway, I've tried a little multiplayer, A vs. D, and it's pretty fun. More so than what I've played of the campaign mode. Game types are standard: deathmatch, team, capture the flag, you know.
Overall, nothing special, in my opinion. But a solid game. The inclusion of G1 episodes are :up: but G1 (or any other) playable characters would be better, but there's always DLC.
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

Springer007 wrote: Case in point, Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast is not as good as say, Infinite Dreams or Afraid to Shoot Strangers.....
Speaking of which, I just picked up Flight 666 the other night. Not bad hearing more up to date intepretations of the 7th son material or Powerslave stuff. Good, but not as grand as Live After Death or Rock In Rio.

Back to topic: I just realized I never actually answered the question- I think the game I would most like to play at the moment would be the Force Unleashed, but I don't think it was ever released on the PC platform, which is all I have.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

burnitall wrote:Samhain is in GH Smash Hits?
Actually, no. Samhain is on GH:Metallica, the song Mother Of Mercy to be exact. I was speaking in broad generalizations of the series as a whole, not just the newest game.

GH: Smash Hits does however have Danzig on there, so in a way you still get a Samhain fix, kinda sorta. Too bad Glenn doesn't like being associated with the Misfits, I'd love to have one of their songs to play on a GH game. I guess he would rather be known as the guy who had one random hit back in the 90's, than the singer of a legendary horror punk band. :p
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Ackula wrote:Too bad Glenn doesn't like being associated with the Misfits.
I never got that. The Misfits are awesome.
Now, just to clarify, I don't hate bands based on popularity. Otherwise, I wouldn't listen to The Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Primus, or Lamb of God. Well, at least Lamb of God is popular where I live.
Now let me ask a question: Would you have wanted ST in there instead of Avenged Seven Fold?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

Ackula wrote: Too bad Glenn doesn't like being associated with the Misfits, I'd love to have one of their songs to play on a GH game. I guess he would rather be known as the guy who had one random hit back in the 90's, than the singer of a legendary horror punk band. :p
yes, a good Misfits song would be fun to play. I could give a shit about Mother. :down: I may watch that video where Glenn gets punched in the face again.
Slayer-Fan123 wrote: Now let me ask a question: Would you have wanted ST in there instead of Avenged Seven Fold?
Definitely ST.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Slayer-Fan123 wrote:Now let me ask a question: Would you have wanted ST in there instead of Avenged Seven Fold?
If ST=Suicidal Tenancies like I think it does, then I'd rather have Avenged Sevenfold personally. The reason being is that I wouldn't buy an album by either one of them, but at least the Avenged Sevenfold songs are fun to play. I personally was never a fan of Suicidal, and actually think their side project was far superior. I'd rather have a Hank III song on there than either one though. :lol:
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Last week, I got Ghostbusters for the DS. This week, I got Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen: Autobots for the DS. On the down side, you can't change your vehicle mode. On the up side, you can change your weapons and equipment loadout. Doesn't feel quite as fun as the last one, andd while I think they got Robert Foxworth to do Ratchet's voice, I think the same person is doing Ironhide and Bumblebee.

More importantly, I haven't hit anything yet that spoils what I missed(so far) of the movie. Figures it's my luck to have the whole theater's power, not to mention most of the city's power, go out an hour and a half into the movie. On the up side, they did give everybody passes to come back and try to see it again.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642