Transformers Spotlight: Metroplex

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
zigzagger

Transformers Spotlight: Metroplex

Post by zigzagger »

Goldbug, along with his fellow Throttlebots, retell their encounter with the "city" sized behemoth - a tale that is, purportedly, so big that it can only be told mostly through double-page spreads. Yay! This is your all purpose Transformers Spotlight: Metroplex Throttlebots reaction and discussion thread.

Come and join the discussion.

The big guy's spotlight is scheduled for July 1st. Check out the preview pages @ comicscontinuum.com.

ImageImageImage
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Ooh I am looking forward to this one. A team like the Throttlebots unfortunately need more than one issue, or should demand more than one. Need a little saga of their own, Maximum Dinobots style.

I really enoyed their stuff in the marvel comic based around the scraplets story, but fear unless there's some really sharp writing that they'll come off as a rather bland team on the run.

Still, there's so much that can be said with so little. A perfect case in point is a line from Cliffjumper's fanfic "Freeway thought of something really funny to do to Wideload, as long as they survive the battle".

Nuggets of excellence. Goldbug should be a nugget of excellence. Got my fingers crossed for some top banter between them and Sixshot.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Are the second and third pages an example of these alleged double-page spreads? Those are just wide frames, a double-page spread surely means just a single giant frame, or surely most comics use double-page spreads?

The Throttlebots rock. They don't deserve something like Max Dinos, though, they deserve something good that doesn't make 80% of the team look like weak-willed clods with no personality of their own.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Cliffjumper wrote:Are the second and third pages an example of these alleged double-page spreads? Those are just wide frames, a double-page spread surely means just a single giant frame, or surely most comics use double-page spreads?
Just going by what Ryall, Tipton, or whoever said it would be, is all. But, no, so far it doesn't appear to be in said format.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

IDW not making it look as if they don't have a clue about comics in their over hyped PR? Shocking. Despite that though I am looking forward to this.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

I'm liking it so far, though they aren't the two-page spreads promised.
And I like the Throttlebots. Goldbug isn't Bumblebee... is he?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Whilst technically not the promised format, it is actually the layout I expected.

Though I do feel quite cheated, as I'd interpreted it as "because of the size of Metroplex, in order to get across the scope of what he's thinking/feeling we need to tell it in landscape".

Whereas what we're actually getting off the basis of the preview pages is a Throttlebot story that they're just telling at 90 degrees.

... this'll be the second Spotlight in four that isn't actually told from the perspective of the robot it's credited to won't it?
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

So, I was right, sadly. We have storytelling via big robot appears mysteriously to smite medium robot and save the day for the small robots.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Loved this!

Where to begin? Really hard to find a flaw in this.

Whereas most spotlights have left me yawning by comic's end, this one had me smiling at the edge of my seat. I really enjoyed this. Dialogue, story, art, the use of more obscure characters. Everything was first class.

Could it be Schmidt is the guy I've been looking for? He showed respect for past material, referencing events from past spotlights, and opened up a very intriguing storyline that has me stoked. His dialogue was never superfluous and he added just the right amount of wit and humor to it.

Respect for the past events is what ties a continuity together. An understanding of what has occurred in the past to a character is what allows us to enjoy the journey that character will take in the future. Schmidt clearly understand this.

I know this a Metroplex spotlight, but I absolutely loved how Schmidt handles Sixshot here. Notice how Sixshot was up fighting after that first megahit from Metroplex's fist, when Searchlight, aghast, asks "You still function?", to which Sixshot answers "Of course. Am I not Sixshot?" That, my friends, is good writing. That is knowing a character. Most current writers would have had Sixshot down and out after such a hit. But he's the creme de la creme of Decepticon warriors. Schmidt understands this, and for the first time since IDW got the license, makes me believe that Sixshot is as bad as he's meant to be.

The art is the best I've seen from Matere. The coloring is fantastic here also.

There's something very Marvelesque here, invoking a feeling similar to the one I had when I first read the Shockwave spotlight.

If Schmidt can do this with a single issue, I'm chomping at the bit to see what he could do with an ongoing.

Give it an "A+". One of the better spotlight yet.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Commander Shockwav wrote:Loved this!
The bad omens continue...
Xed51
Protoform

Post by Xed51 »

Commander Shockwav wrote:Notice how Sixshot was up fighting after that first megahit from Metroplex's fist, when Searchlight, aghast, asks "You still function?", to which Sixshot answers "Of course. Am I not Sixshot?"
I never posted in this forum before, but I've got to ask:
Isn't this the same quote that megatron and omega supreme repeat 2 or 3 times each in All Hail Megatron, just slightly different?
"Megatron, there's an incoming jet!"
"I AM MEGATRON!"
"Megatron, do you need protection?"
"I AM MEGATRON!"
"Omega Supreme, how did you survive?"
"I AM OMEGA SUPREME!"
"I'm gonna beat you!"
"I AM OMEGA SUPREME!"
etc.
I'm really just asking, because I still have to read the issue.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Probably. Plot and depth seem to have been stripped away of late and replaced by bullshit macho posturing. Would be in keeping.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Hah! says you *hip thrusts & swooshes hair*
Xed51
Protoform

Post by Xed51 »

Is there any summary for the issue? I still can't find it in my country.
Rossum
Protoform

Post by Rossum »

Xed51 wrote:I never posted in this forum before, but I've got to ask:
Isn't this the same quote that megatron and omega supreme repeat 2 or 3 times each in All Hail Megatron, just slightly different?
"Megatron, there's an incoming jet!"
"I AM MEGATRON!"
"Megatron, do you need protection?"
"I AM MEGATRON!"
"Omega Supreme, how did you survive?"
"I AM OMEGA SUPREME!"
"I'm gonna beat you!"
"I AM OMEGA SUPREME!"
etc.
I'm really just asking, because I still have to read the issue.
You're in for a treat, there's even an "I AM METROPLEX" thrown in to make sure the reader is properly awed.
Starfield
Protoform

Post by Starfield »

When did this happen? One thing I don't like about spotlights is having to guess. Edit: Nevermind. I found the editor's note on the inside cover. "Just prior to AHM #1."

Sixshot is out of character showing a lot more finesse now instead of wanton planetary destruction. He sneaked onto the Autobot base! I can't imagine the Sixshot from -ation sneaking anywhere. The new Sixshot personality isn't bad, but the spent a lot of time establishing the old one.

I suspect Metroplex is mad as a hatter, single-mindedly on a mission that became obsolete eons ago.

The Throttlebots? There were introduced with their specialty being evading the enemy (there's no one better). But Sixshot found them pretty easily, then after a while, they stopped trying to evade Sixshot and instead took him on head-on.

The best part is Metroplex and his mysterious mission. It is a great take on the character. Especially if his mission turns out to be tragically unimportant anymore.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Overall, an entertaining, albeit short, read. In fact, it can be summed up into the following:

Sixshot: “I am Sixshot. Fear me."
Searchlight: "I'm not afraid of you."
Sixshot: "Well, you sho..."

[Building behind him suddenly changes into a gigantic arm and crashes down onto Sixshot]

Sixshot: Uhhhhhhh…I…I’m okay, I’m okay. After all, I am Sixsh…”

[Metroplex steps on him]

Metroplex: “I. AM. METROPLEX. I. HAVE. TO. LEAVE. NOW.”
Searchlight: “Err, umm…Why?”
Metroplex: “IT’S. A. SECRET.”

[Metroplex transforms and flies off]

Rollbar: “Wonder what that was all about.”
Searchlight: “I know, but I’m not telling.”

[Pans to Sixshot's crushed body]

The end...or is it?!!!!

Sadly, I’m not really sure yet if this works well as a Spotlight for Metroplex. I'll have to give it another read through. Then again, the Throttlebots are the ones who provide characterization for Metroplex, and for the most part it works. It’s certainly not the first time a Spotlight has been told from an outside perspective, so it’s serviceable. Speaking of which, the Throttlebots – who are essentially the stars of the show – are good value and their plight is engaging. The acknowledgement of continuity was also a plus.

Not perfect, but a fun romp on the whole.
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

What happened to Wideload? Did he run off and hide in case Sixshot scratched his paintwork?

After they all run away he seems to vanish unless i've missed him somewhere.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

optimusskids wrote:What happened to Wideload? Did he run off and hide in case Sixshot scratched his paintwork?

After they all run away he seems to vanish unless i've missed him somewhere.
I thought he was the one that Sixshot takes out after landing on top of Freeway.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

I haven't read this one yet, but is there an established rank or anything amongst the Throttlebots, or are they all pretty equal.

My only point of reference is the old Marvel G1 comics where it appeared as if Rollbar was the spokesman, which is fine as long as he's cast well enough to not come off as Kup-lite.