So, Blackout's a midget, isn't he?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Cliffjumper

So, Blackout's a midget, isn't he?

Post by Cliffjumper »

Kinda falls between the Deluxe and Voyager categories, doesn't he? Should've been a Supreme, dammit - how the Hell is Optimus meant to climb on his shoulders and tear his head apart? Neat figure, though - nice transformation (whoever owned it before thoughtfully fuxx0red the Automorph so I don't have to worry about it, yay!), really captures the lumbering feel of the character.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Yeah, it's like a trend that started with him-he's the biggest decepticon, the most loyal soldier of Megatron...and a voyager sized figure that is dwarfed by deluxes. Happens with Animated Lugnut and animated Blackout as well.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Apart from Barricade and Megatron, they really buggered up the size classes of the first film Decepticons, didn't they? It's a shame - there are so few Movie Decepticons I like the look of, and most of the ones I do have these scale problems. And after they've done so well with the Autobots... Mind, Long Haul and Mixmaster are looking verrrry tempting, even with scale issues.
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

Totally recommend Long Haul. He does have a bit of an issue with his upper and lower halves pegging securely, but he still looks great and monstrous in bot mode. I don't think you'd be disappointed if you got him.

(Don't have Mixmaster myself, so I doubt my comments would be helpful.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, pretty much decided I'm going to spring for Long Haul as soon as he gets a UK release in late October (ebay prices are still too high for him to be a viable import). I pretty much decided on getting him when I first saw RotF - he really stands out among the Decepticon designs just for being a very straight-forward looking chap. Mixmaster I just love the look of - even with the big arms he, again, looks less insect-y than some Decepticons (however loved up I am on Movie stuff at the mo, Megatron, the Fallen and Soundwave all aren't doing it for me, and I'm holding out for a Leader Starscream to counter Prime).

I need to even up the numbers a bit - even reinforced by Blackout, the Decepticons (Barricade, Sideways and... Fracture [keptherCybertronianmodelikeMegatronsoshutup!]) are getting their arses kicked. Demolisher and Rampage don't do it for me in toy form either - the really weird stuff looks good on screen, but doesn't translate well to toys.

Still looking out for a Brawl, but I'm going to pass on Grindor - if I ever want a Grindor that badly, I'll get a Premium Blackout and relegate Blackout to Grindor. I'd be tempted by Devastator if he wasn't so ridiculously expensive - I think the UK RRP works out at ~$150 US.

For Autobots, I'm afraid to say I'm likely to cave and get the twins at some point (probably all three toys), and a Legends Wheelie whenever that comes out. Jetfire's just too expensive, and I'm really, really repulsed by the Girlbikes (much like Demolisher, motion fools the eye a little, but the toys are eyesores).
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:Mixmaster I just love the look of
Plus he was in Faith No More.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Is that a plus or a minus? ;p

Got Bonecrusher today, and aside from his smallness he's so the best Movie Decepticon I've got yet, and possibly the best Deluxe full-stop - really nicely done, you really get value for your money there. Which, in a way, is the saddest part - I'm pretty sure you could scale him up to Voyager size without actually adding much in terms of moving parts and detail.

Also got RotF Mudflap... Wow, that's one fiddly, annoying transformation. Not even 100% sure I've got the robot mode right, but it's near enough. Getting him back into car mode is a bastard as well - you push one bit in, another pops out of place. I do like the fist/missile launcher, though.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

First Movie Leader Megatron's awesome, though. The alt mode is a bit of a folded up robot, but the robot itself is kinda awesome. You can more-or-less do the two-handed gun and he's a great big spiky claw-ridden bastard. Awesomezor, cheers Clay!
Clay

Post by Clay »

Did you get my PM about what to do with Jazz, or did the forum switchover eat it?

Also, that was very quick on the part of the carrier service. Good on them.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Clay wrote:Did you get my PM about what to do with Jazz, or did the forum switchover eat it?

Also, that was very quick on the part of the carrier service. Good on them.
.... and I have now checked my email. Carry on. :)
Cliffjumper wrote:Got Bonecrusher today, and aside from his smallness he's so the best Movie Decepticon I've got yet, and possibly the best Deluxe full-stop - really nicely done, you really get value for your money there. Which, in a way, is the saddest part - I'm pretty sure you could scale him up to Voyager size without actually adding much in terms of moving parts and detail.
I dunno... if they made him a voyager, I'm sure they'd have to add springs to the extra long arms or something else, instead of working shock absorbers like Landmine has.

What I find odd is that not only was Bonecrusher omitted from the larger size brackets, his deluxe toy hasn't been reused at all so far with the sequel line, despite even popping up as an easter egg. However, the plane that Optimus jumps out of gets a $20+ toy. Go figure.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Don't get me started on Stratosphere - the slot really should have been Bonecrusher's, or Soundwave's, or even maybe just maybe the Ice Cream van. Bah.

They could even have simply retweaked the original Deluxe slightly for a filler instead of, say, the Landmine recolour.

Ordered Skids and Mixmaster from Play, and pre-ordered Long Haul (I know he's out elsewhere, but Play's decent pre-order price and free shipping make this a cheap option, and also spreads the figures out a bit). Then it's waiting for Leader Starscream (that is happening, right?) and Legends Wheelie. I'd love to say that's me done with the Movie line then, but now that I've tied up them and (touch wood) Brawl, I'm suddenly finding Scalpel/Soundwave/Jetfire/Scorponok/the Ice Cream van rather enamouring. Though I'm still pretty confident that I'll never, ever buy those ****ing bikes.
Grufflock

Post by Grufflock »

Cliffjumper wrote:Though I'm still pretty confident that I'll never, ever buy those ****ing bikes..
Until you see a revised 3-pack set that combines?
WWW.OLDOILHOUSE.CO.UK
Bringing Robots Into Disgrace Since 1984
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It'd have to be very modified... The character models weren't too bad, but the toys look so damn clumsy - Arcee's spine especially.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Had the aforementioned Mixmaster and Skids turn up.

I do like Mixmaster, though a few joints are rather lopose the arms and (especially) the little cylindrical drums on his shoulders. However, he's still fab, it never really clicked how similar his robot layout is to Bonecrusher, and that's a good thing. Transforming him is a little fraught due to the third mode - I very nearly ****ed the cab up permanently jamming it together wrong. Silly me. Not tried the third mode yet, trying to get the hang of the other two first.

Skids was actually kinda awesome - much better figure than Mudflap, the kibble's just that bit better laid out, the robot mode a bit sleeker and balanced. Just a shame he's two nasty shades of green, really. Gold tooth, though...
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I'm severely tempted by Skids. It would have been a given if he had a different head. Maybe when I haven't picked up one in a while and really want a tf. Mudflap holds no interest for me.

Scalpel is cool. Robot mode stands really well which I didn't expect with those twiggy legs of his. I did have to fold them up to display him on my shelf, but that was because he wouldn't fit otherwise.
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

Skids was my first RotF purchase.

They really are milking the Blackout mould arn't they?
I mean Blackout, Premium Blackout, Evac, Whirl, Grindor, and... I think I'm forgetting one, right?

The one thing that really annoys me though is the damn minicon ports on Blackouts shoulders. Come on you asses! Get your continualities straight!
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Catalyst Dragon wrote:The one thing that really annoys me though is the damn minicon ports on Blackouts shoulders. Come on you asses! Get your continualities straight!
Yeah, **** Hasbro for having additional features on a toy that increase play value because they relate to the wrong franchise!
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Catalyst Dragon wrote:I mean Blackout, Premium Blackout, Evac, Whirl, Grindor, and... I think I'm forgetting one, right?
Just the Lawson's Exclusive Movie-Accurate Blackout... that was eventually rendered unnecessary due to the premium line.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32