Payload: far too accurate

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Cliffjumper

Payload: far too accurate

Post by Cliffjumper »

So, my obsession with Movie figures, and with the '07 game that I genuinely love despite being highly aware that it's a bit poor led me to buy Pyaload. Pretty good figure on the whole, nice design, good transformation, even if the grabber gimmick sacrifices too much balance.

The biggest problem, though, is his habit of falling apart much like his in-game counterpart after a good thumping. Has anyone truied gluing the head & shoulders/truck grill/robot chest bit in place? Does anyone know if doing so is likely to stop the transformation? I can't see a lot presuming I use a little common sense, but I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything solid about it before I have a go...
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

After managing to get his head assembly onto all four pegs it's supposed to be attached to, I haven't had many problems of him falling apart. I don't mind the grill guard coming off in case his feet knock it off during transformation. If you use glue in the slot in the back of the belly piece, the grabber claw should still work if you care about the gimmick. That to me seems to be the only thing that gluing could possibly screw up.
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Yup, he does fall apart very easily, doesn't he? The head/shoulder assembly, the chest piece, the grill...

I superglued the head in place (with a thin layer, mind -- otherwise I'm afraid that it'll interfere with transformation) and left the others alone, mostly because I can't be bothered to glue them.
Clay

Post by Clay »

A tiny amount of glue will fix him right up, yeah.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Clay wrote:A tiny amount of glue will fix him right up, yeah.
Jawsome!

Now, Dropkick, that's a really good figure... Great transformation, decent look in both modes (I like how they somehow made a giant Decepticon symbol so subtle), and while the big claw is a bit much, I like that it's optional (i.e. that they've sculpted the inside of the pickup bed despite the fact there's a cover). Nice figure, very nice - possibly the best of the Activision ones IMO.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Yeah, just be careful about the parts the move, like the front grill of the truck on the pogo stick. Nothing that isn't straightforward, though.

Dropkick is nice, yes. I got one after reading numbat's review and was quite pleased. As he points out, it's basically a car insecticon done movie style, and works out really well.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Dropkick plus Wreckage are really the best decepticon deluxes of the first movie. Decent proportions [looking at you, Dreadwind\g...and Payload with that shovel in the back], articulated and aren't a nightmare to transform back and forth.
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

I've had his head fall off once but it hasen't been that bothersome actually, unlike the damn grill that falls off if my cat farts near it...

Overall though I like the figure, nice coloration and a pretty solid alt mode.
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I must say the three TF1 game designs I have are all actually quite impressive toys, especially once you start thinking of Payload and Swindle as drone types. Dropkick is genuinely impressive, though - probably on a par with Bumblebee as the best Deluxe from the first line, and only behind Jolt and maybe Skids from ROTF. I could actually see Dropkick as a cheap Universe Trailbreaker... It all makes it more of a shame that they didn't follow the computer game model for Longarm, that the Scrapper drone seems to actually be made of hardened snot and that they didn't do one of the game Mixmaster.

I'm probably not going to get Dreadwing unless a very cheap example comes up... Mainly because the scale of a Deluxe-size jet fighter is likely to annoy me.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Cliffjumper wrote: I'm probably not going to get Dreadwing unless a very cheap example comes up... Mainly because the scale of a Deluxe-size jet fighter is likely to annoy me.
Really? Because for me he looks like CRAP. Passed one up at 3 USD, don't know what more I can say:lol: