Takara Predaking Reissue

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
praetorian
Protoform

Takara Predaking Reissue

Post by praetorian »

Revealed at International Tokyo Toy Show:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... ng-170187/

Looks like the yellow parts have been repainted in gold. Predaking's also featured on the placecard next to the toy with the other reported Takara releases and re-releases for 2010.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Shiny!
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

praetorian wrote:Looks like the yellow parts have been repainted in gold.
Not to me. Headstrong still looks yellow. There's plenty of gold about but those seem to just be the labels that he's always had.

Although, that said, Razorclaw's lionface looks glossier. Hrm.
Spoilsport
Protoform

Post by Spoilsport »

I read on another site that the Japanese retail price is $180...so hopefully the online stores like BBTS and TFsource will be selling him for less than $200. As much as I want this I refuse to pay $500 for it on eBay. Does anybody know if this is going to be a mass release or just an "exclusive"?
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

Here it is up for Pre-order at BBTS for $179.99.
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... ode=retail
Sades

Post by Sades »

It stated in the link above that it was going to retail for around $179 US.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Not too fussed about Predaking, but Hydro-dive Bumblee looks fantastic. Buzz Lightyear to the rescue!
Spoilsport
Protoform

Post by Spoilsport »

Just pre-ordered it from BBTS. I guess no new encore re-issues this year since Takara is focusing on their Transformers 2010 lineup. Still hoping for an encore Blaster since this years SDCC exclusive is coming out next month.
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

Just ordered mine as well, I only had Headstrong as a kid and Predaking has always been one of my favorite cartoon/comic combiners so I must have!

And this still beats the average price for a G1 Predaking that I've seen.
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Good news for those desperate for a Predaking figure. I bought the 2004 reissue, but have since sold it on. Why? Am I mad? No, its just that i was disappointed with it. The individual Predacons are huge clumsy block-formers devoid of any real charm, and Headstrong's metal back means he can't stand up in robot mode with toppling over. The only way to get him to stand is to have weapons in both hands and have his arms outstretched! The blunted look of the beast forms doesn't help them from an aesthetic point of view, and they rely heavily on the careful application of a lot of annoying decals to make them look something like.

The combined form of Predaking is impressive, if only for his size (he towers over all the other merge groups), but his misproportioned torso and Divebomb's wings not staying put make him something of a qualified success.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Mmm, I was never that mad on the guy... only Rampage is particularly impressive of the team members (while Headstrong and Tantrum are both outright shit, even for combiner limbs, and the whole thing just feels a bit oversized, and quite cheap and nasty.
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

What gets me though is how it looks like the legs arn't connected in these pictures... it looks like Tantrum and Headstrong are sitting infront of the rest of them. I guess it's just the angle of the photo.
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I'm big on Predaking, if only because it's the only combiner I remember playing with as a kid. Well... to be fair, I remember playing with bits of him. Tantrum was my favourite.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:Mmm, I was never that mad on the guy... only Rampage is particularly impressive of the team members (while Headstrong and Tantrum are both outright shit, even for combiner limbs, and the whole thing just feels a bit oversized, and quite cheap and nasty.
"So, my loyal employees, we have finally established a way to make a five-robot combiner team with all the members the same size. Congratulations. But I feel it's not enough... it looks somehow disproportionate... anybody have any ideas?"

"We could make it bigger."

"Interesting. But wouldn't that mean re-engineering so that it isn't just big lumps of plastic? Won't that feel cheap?"

"Nah, if we make it BIG then people will just lap it up as a phallic substitute. And the cheapness of the plastic caused by the larger size will just make it more fragile and, as such, more valuable and desirable. And kids won't care because it'll be BIG."

"Fair enough. It doesn't half look familiar though."

"It looks nothing like anything by Bandai. I don't know what you're talking about."

"Eh. Whatever. Make it big. Primary colours... lots of red and yellow. Oh, and black. Kids love black. I'm off to lunch now. If you need new moulds for the bigger toys, just hammer out the ones we used for the Dinobots."
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Catalyst Dragon wrote:What gets me though is how it looks like the legs arn't connected in these pictures... it looks like Tantrum and Headstrong are sitting infront of the rest of them. I guess it's just the angle of the photo.
Nope. They really look like that in real life. the legs sit forward on the connector points, so his torso looks like its set back from his legs. the arms are also very heavy with all the die cast, so he can't hold his arms up and the connector joints in the shoulders wear loose quickly due as they can't support the weight. i was really disappointed with them, as i love the animation models and their appearance in 'Prey', but the toys just don't do them justice unfortunately.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I've always been amazed that they knobbed the design from Bandai (was it Daltanias in the end?), but kept their own shitty combining mechanisms - that's why I love Popy/Bandai combining robots, there's some really neat mechanisms just for connecting limbs, whereas (with the noble exceptions of Devastator and Raiden), if you've combined one G1 combiner, you've basically combined them all.

I've never been able to work out fandom's hard-on for the Predacons, really. "Prey" is awesome (as is "Grudge Match"), but aside from that they did bugger-all - did Predaking ever win a fight outside of fanfics? Maybe in Headmasters in those early episodes where there always seemed to be a combined robot hitting another one in the background?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:I've never been able to work out fandom's hard-on for the Predacons, really.
He's BIG!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

So's Fort Max! It doesn't excuse him being a big brick with all the finesse of Duplo!

Shit, sorry, forgot where I was.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I think I'd be happy if I could just get a Tantrum, really.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I like Predaking, he's just so... big. And hard... and orange.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!