Where do you store/display them, anyway?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
The Reverend

Where do you store/display them, anyway?

Post by The Reverend »

I'm curious, because it appears my poor old glass-front cabinet is now definitely too small. :)
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

They're currently surrounding me on wall shelves in my computer room, with a few shelves spilling over into my official office. I really need to thin the herd here and box/sell a few.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, normal open-front shelves here... Try to keep stuff away from windows, but consider dust an inevitable evil when funding a display case would badly eat into my actual toy-buying budget.

Also thinning out my collection in general - if it's been in a box for a couple of months and I've had no urge to touch the thing, or in extreme cases forgot that I had it, I don't need it and am just hoarding it. I'd rather have cash and have the figure go to someone who'll enjoy it.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Almost all of mine are at my parents house because I've only taken a few to uni. The one I do have with me are on my shelves and desk. I don't really want to sell any so for the next few years that's were they'll stay until my Dad decides he wants an office.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

I've got a pair of old bookcases in my office, plus a lot of space on my desk (It's an L shaped desk that measures 7' on the long side) for displaying them. One is warped from my gaming book collection so the shelves won't hold books anymore, but they'll hold Transformers just fine. The other is a short one that acts as a printer stand. I use it for Transformers because it's short and I don't have that many small books in my office. The desk is a nice bonus, as I get fidgety hands sometimes when thinking about a problem or watching a movie on Netflix, so having a few figures on hand to fiddle with does me some good.

For storage I've got four plastic drawer bins I got at Wal*Mart, two large 4 drawer and two small three drawer ones. The big ones hold one faction each, the top two drawers are short and make a good place to stick deluxe class and below in, or even small voyagers. The taller bottom drawers make a good place to stick the big guys. The two smaller sets are from the crafts section and I use them to store all the missiles, mini-cons, legends class, and so on.

And if you are really curious I've got a collapsing accordion file system with all the directions organized by character name and faction.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

I don't have too many (well, other way around if my wife speaks). So they are all in my study room in the basement on the wall shelves I made. And for some reason, that room has very few dust comparing to others.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

My wife and I live in a fairly small apartment so we don't really have much room for displaying things like Transformers (or any of the things that she's collected over the years, for that matter). I've got enough room on my desk to fit maybe thirty figures, but the Transformers generally have to fight for space with Lego as well so right now it's closer to a dozen. Generally the newest ones are the ones who get to stay out, but I've got a handful of favourites that don't get put away very often as well.

Most of my toys are stored in boxes. The box with my favourite stuff in it tends to get stuff pulled out of it fairly frequently and swapped out with one of the figures that are out on display. The other boxes...hell, I couldn't even tell you what was in them, to be honest. If I had more space I'd go through them and sort out what I want to keep, what I should sell and what I should give away to my sister's kids, but that'll probably have to wait until we're in a house.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Transformers are all packed away into labelled plastic storage containers like most of the other stuff I own. Like others, I really, really need to go through them all and find ones I'd be okay with getting rid of, simply because I feel like I've got too many at this point in time.

No shelves, it's a small room. The only thing I have out is my MP Grimlock currently.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

(chuckle) Well, I started with a four-shelf bookcase with glass doors, which I'm still using to this day. Keeps the cats' inquisitive paws out of them, you know? However, its gotten to the point that there's just no more room in there.

Since the shelves are removable, I'm seriously thinking about getting in there with some tools and installing a few more shelves anyway. Since almost all of them are in alt-mode, that gives me some vertical space to work with.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

A glass display case. Well, they were supposed to be bookshelves but my parents are kind enough to pay and extend the glass-front bookshelves in my room to accommodate my transformers last birthday. (Mostly because they can't stand little robots invading their room)

So my entire collection (sans a couple who suffer in the basement) now stares at me, jam-packed, in my room.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

The Reverend wrote:Since almost all of them are in alt-mode......
I did that before by displaying in alt mode but then found out I will save much more space if I display them in robot mode.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

I just had one in each mode to stop me having the urge to transform them while drunk:

but sadly they are nearly all gone due to Tfs paying my bills since I lost my job.
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I have a few on some open book shelves, a few pcc in the front room (they are ace to fiddle with) and about four in my bedroom. as we have a small house, the rest are in the attic.
numbat

Post by numbat »

When we last moved house, my wife suggested we get a glass front display case to limit where the Transformers were (as she detests them...). This is attached to the end of our bookcase in the spare room / study.

It used to look something like this:

I don't have too many Transformers, due to repeated enforced culls, but this does not hold all of them by any means (the rest are in a Big Yellow Self Storage small cardboard box).

Alas, my wife reneged on the whole thing and removed all but MP Convoy and MP Megs...

(Paul053 I know where you're coming from! I hope your wife's not as militantly opposed as mine!)

I have since regained some territory by moving things she put in to accommodate HFTD Leader Starscream, ROTF Leader Prime and Battle Ops Bumblebee. It was a battle!

I do have ROTF Legends Devastator on my desk (seeing as how the spare room is my company's office, after all!), and TakaraTomy 2010 Unicron is standing on my filing cabinet, in front of my company book-case. However, this is an unacceptable situation that won't last much longer, I'm told...

Still - it's fun to have the collection on some sort of rotation - you get to rediscover the excitement of figures all over again when you swap them over!

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Rodimus Convoy

Post by Rodimus Convoy »

Mine are in a toybox, save for a few special ones that I've lost somewhere in my room.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Mine are in a glass case, on a bookshelf, on a dresser, and in my closet. Oh and there are a few on top of my PC, and on my desk at work as well.
kurgen
Protoform

Storage

Post by kurgen »

Hey like the display with Unicron at the top, flickin us the finger as is necessary!

Mine are in a weekly cycle - I'm going through, week by week, the Marvel UK comics from exactly 25 years ago that week! I'm on #58 tonight, and those TFs on the cover go to the front of my main shelf, posed if possible, with those others in the story that week lingering behind.

So! This week I'm figuring out how to squeeze two seekers, the bird-con cassettes, plus Shockwave in gun mode into a background whilst keeping Bumblebee quite prominent, also keeping Prime, Jetfire, and a few Auto cars behind that. Gonna be a squeeze, but a nice way to fill a coupla boring Monday night hours...

It's a nice way of rotating it so that you don't just get the "stars" all the time. Others stay in a side cabinet, recently-appeared on one shelf, yet-to-appears on another, and new acquisitions sprawling over piles of old videos. It's a hobby... :lol:

B.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

I did that as a joke after my GF was moaning about me dropping £40 on him so I posed him giving her the finger.
Man I miss my Transformers.
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.