Broken link in Eugenesis page on the 'fandom' section.

Problem? Question? Suggestion? Post it here.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Broken link in Eugenesis page on the 'fandom' section.

Post by Auntie Slag »

Just wanted to mention that at the top of that page is a link that says 'Author interview at Transfans.net'. This link appears to be broken. I've copied the link here so you can see where it takes you. :)

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Will fix, honest, but Transfans hasn't been up for most people for a while, and is still experiencing issues.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

I have a Eugenesis download; if the worst comes to the worst, I'll try to forward to you, Auntie Slag,
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Thanks Clogs. I have the downloaded Eugenesis script. Got it a year or two ago from this site when it was made available.:) It's just that, as with most things on an informative site such as this, you really appreciate the presentation and collection of all related things formatted into one easy reference page (makes me feel like the whole Johnny Five "Iiiiinput" thing).

As such its easy to become rabid about Eugenesis because it's written with such love & thoughtfulness around the source material, as well as expounding on those concepts and creating so many more fantastic ones. So I become equally rabid about the various extra stuff that floats around it. The extra scripts for instance (Liars A-D and whatnot). Similarly so with the author interview. To know that there are blokes like James and Nick out there who are full-on Transformers heads and putting stuff out now for our consumption (Last Stand of the Wreckers), is as important as the high profile movies.

Two different groups of people really having a solid bash at er... redefining TF's and making them as incredibly interesting and fun for us now as they were when we were kids.

This bloke poured all his time/effort and own money into making & publishing Eugenesis. That's just brilliant.

And brilliant-er now that he's writing with Roche about the Wreckers. That's a dream job for any of us I'm sure.:smokin:
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

I think I have the lot, additional material and all... I never do things by half ;)

Yup, Liars to a D etc all neatly saved on my pc. The would-be archivist in me, I'm afraid!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

I've only read up until the part where Death's Head meets the Quintessons. Can't find the spare time to read the rest. Yet, anyway... It's a good thing I downloaded this last month...

Rather nice stuff, although how Nightbeat got back from the grave is beyond me. This is post-G2, right?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

It's heck to read on-screen (eye-strain, my dear), but too long to print out. I admit to reading the attendant bits and only a little way into the novel proper.

As for post G2... yeah and squint...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Just to point out for anyone in the audience, the novel's there and has been... what went down was transfans.co.uk -- which is back now, and the link to the author interview updated.

People may also be interested in a contemporary non-fan-audience review:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2003/ ... ic-bowing/

And an old spoiler interview with James:

http://web.archive.org/web/200501211013 ... berts2.htm

Nightbeat self-destructs in G2, but the assumption the bridging material works on (IIRC) is that his brain module survives. Ditto for anyone else not irrevocably killed (eg, Scorponok...)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I thought Scorponok was irrevocably killed on the grounds it was quite dramatic when he died and it'd be a bit embarrassing if he then came back to life and had to look everyone in the optic... I remember someone either here or at Transfans desperately trying to argue that the Last Autobot carried on to Cybertron and revived the likes of Brainstorm, Snapdragon and Hardhead, but didn't revive Scorponok because SHUT UP. If you died stupidly you've generally got a shot at coming back to life because there's a fair chance no-one will want to remember you blowing yourself up three frames before Megatron turns up with the plot device, flying into Unicron's hand, lining up neatly alongside the rest of your assortment to be zapped by a drugged-up idiot, or - the ultimate humiliation - getting shot by that arse Thunderwing.

Must read Eugenesis at some point.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yes, you should.

Once I start running low on stuff I haven't already read, it's definitely doing a turn in the ebook reader along with the Watch series and Neuromancer...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Denyer wrote:Yes, you should.
I just don't have the sort of brain that rings up ebooks as an option. Attention span is too small when it's on a computer. Will probably just max out an ink cartridge at some point :)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Based on the price of cartridges for inkjet printers, an ebook reader would pay for itself relatively quickly even now, though if you wait a bit until colour ones become entrenched in the market the current models will probably start falling in price rapidly.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

The cool thing about Eugenesis is that once you've read it, you can jump back to any chapter at any time afterward and it still feels fresh and invigorating, like Clairol Herbal Essences (although Herbal Essences can go **** itself; I'm Alberto Balsam fo' life).

I think it's got this quality because:

- the writing is very intricate, full of the most vivid imagery, and;
- the knowledge of the characters you bring to the book makes it so interesting as the book itself progresses and their characters develop in ways you may have always wanted it took had the comic continued and become dark as chocolate hob nobs in the dark place under the stairs. Not to mention the gratuitous kill-count... holy ****!

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but when I first read it:
SPOILER! (select to read)
I thought they managed to revive most of the TF's who died, but upon checking it again that's not the case?

For example, Kup definitely did die, as well as Prowl, Grimlock, Emyrissus, Mainframe & Wideload... and of course Nightbeat 2.0 is not Nightbeat in the same way Powermaster Prime is not Prime after the Ethan Zachary storyline. I was at first happy when I thought all these guys survived, but now I prefer the idea of them staying dead, and how that changes the landscape for the survivors
I could imagine that's the kind of impact James intended, yes? Maybe it doesn't matter, and it's how you choose to interpret it.. but even the interpretation things seems somewhat lame. I'm sure I just read it wrong the first time. It would be all too happy otherwise. Nowt wrong with a bit of maximum impact. And why not? These are robots in a war hitting each other very hard and stuff.

Gut wrenching book too. I still have vivid recollections of the Rev-Tone & Quark interrogation scene. Emeryssus on his nine month stake-out and Wheelie trying desperately to recite the failsafe death-code.

... And First Aid has me awake at night screaming until the warders come. Has there ever been such a shocking scene in Transformers anywhere before or since?

There's still another two issues of 'Last stand of the Wreckers' to go yet, so I've got the number Counsellor Troi's number ready just in case. Yeah, for that reason!
Ulcrain
Protoform

Post by Ulcrain »

I can't find a link either, help?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Indeed, it doesn't seem to be in the place on the fandom page it used to occupy...

I don't suppose there's a chance it's been taken down in lieu of a proper reprint rather than it being a broken link?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

There was a file edit dated April 21st, but nobody's said anything to me. Re-upped.

It may be something James is obliged to do (by Hasbro or IDW) having contracted with the IDW ongoing, in which case don't be surprised if the files here disappear again.

If they do, it seems likely that they'd reappear mysteriously somewhere outside of US jurisdiction. And there are hundreds of people who already have them who'd doubtless be happy to forward them on to anyone asking.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

It seems to be working fine now anyway.
Denyer wrote: Once I start running low on stuff I haven't already read, it's definitely doing a turn in the ebook reader along with the Watch series and Neuromancer...

Forgive what's probably a dumb sounding question, the PDF's will work on an Ebook reader? I'm (hopfully) getting a new phone next week that, if I pick the right one, will be able to do all that Jazzy Jeff stuff and if it's compatible I could well wind up giving it a read at last.

Just read through the continuity notes (which I've probably read before but have forgotten most of), I do like the valiant effort to make the Marvel timeline/s work right the way through, it even agrees with me about the placement of Earthforce! Not to sure about shoving Beast Wars in there as well though, I've never been keen on linking the comics to the show because of a couple of mild injokes (and no, the Vok could not be more blatantly not be the Swarm regardless of the "Yeah... sure I guess" answer given by one of the producers when asked "Are the Vok the Swarm?" at a convention).

EDIT: Yay! I've managed to put it on my current phone. It's not the easiest read as it seems to be impossible to get the text at a readable size where the page isn't larger than the screen (meaning scrolling left to right as well as up and down, which is strangely disconcerting), but at least that suggests that with a better phone it'll work as well. Huzzah!
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Calibre will convert to/from a variety of formats;

http://calibre-ebook.com/

PDF isn't handled well by a lot of readers, because it's used for retaining print layouts. Convert to epub, mobi, RTF, HTML, etc. if your device can use those.

(It can even convert owned DRM'd Amazon books if you look for the right plugins.)