Generations/Fall of Cybertron Toys

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Having now seen all 5 members of Bruticus, as well as the combined form, there are only a few things I'm not sure i like about it. The Blast Off combined arm looks funky, the shoulders are meh, and Vortex is gold and red rather then grey.

Other then that, it looks like a pretty decent combiner team out of Hasbro. I'm shocked and pleasantly surprised.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Here's a full-body shot of Bruticus, and here are Vortex and Blast-Off.

Bruticus himself looks really awkward in those pics, while Vortex and Blast-Off don't look a thing like the original characters in body design or colour scheme. Vortex is just ghastly, and Blast-Off has so much gold plastic that he'll probably explode before you even open the package. And Onslaught looks laughably bad in alt-mode...surely that has to be mistransformed? Overall I can't say I'm impressed.

At least now we know why they led with Brawl and Swindle...they're far and away the best of the bunch. I can't see myself collecting the whole team but those two look pretty cool.
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Me likey.

One of the things I particularly like about this combiner is that all of the "combiner parts" are fully incorporated into the individual component bots. You can even see Bruticus' left hand tucked away inside of Vortex' right leg.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Interesting...I wonder why after staying so close to the originals in color scheme, they went so out in left field with Vortex.

I'll probably be picking these up, though. The Combaticons were always my favorite combiner team.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Eh, I think the individual molds themselves are okay; they look like the futuristic-but-actually-ancient Combaticons that they're supposed to be. Do agree that some of the paint schemes leave a lot to be desired, though. In particular, the pink and gold that Vortex is sporting is, yeah, pretty tacky and Blast Off looks to be a victim of bad photoshopping. While I don't expect (or want) Generations/WoC/FoC line to be slavishly G1 - even if it clearly takes a lot of cues from it - I was expecting something a little bit closer to this (not that that is any less tacky).

And before someone chimes in; I really can't be bothered with the whole "Aligned" continuity stuff. To me, these are G1 throwbacks and little else. I'm content with that :)
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Not sure how I feel about the finished product, definitely a lot less excited about it than from the sneak pictures.

I love his right arm [Blast off? The one that looks like a volcano erupts on the middle of the vehicle] while the one that is supposed to be the helicopter is SO butt ugly it makes my future grandchildren cry.

Onslaught, Rotor or whatever he's called, and the laughable hips on the combined mode kill it...
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Chances are, he's partially mis-transformed, which is, unfortunately, all too common.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Brimstone wrote:I'll probably be picking these up, though. The Combaticons were always my favorite combiner team.
Oddly, they took the colors from the ENERGON Bruticus Maximus helicopter again and splashed them on Vortex. I've seen this done in odd places, and it's usually just him so miscolored.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I love combiners, and since Bruticus is one of my favourites and also my sig, I simply have to get him. Although his hips do look terrible, his shoulders look weird, they have made changes to Onslaught' s design, Blast Off looks weird and Vortex has terrible colours, I will still get them.
Destruction is my specialty
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Tramp wrote:Chances are, he's partially mis-transformed, which is, unfortunately, all too common.
Isn't it though?
It still looks pretty good either way, so I'll definitely pick one up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Slayer-Fan123 wrote:Isn't it though?
It still looks pretty good either way, so I'll definitely pick one up.
Same here. :up:
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

TFW has pics up from ToyFair.

There's more shots of Bruticus, along with our first looks at Prime, Jazz and Shockwave.

Shockwave is the only one who really impressed me, but he impressed me a lot. His alt-mode is great, maintaining the 'space cannon' idea of the original but updating it to match the 'War for Cybertron' look. And his robot mode is really slick, too. The only thing that leaves me scratching my head is the fact that he's carrying around a tiny version of his G1 incarnation's gun mode as a weapon.

But the biggest news so far wasn't the toys themselves, but word from Hasbro that these guys are the first two waves of a Generations line that's supposed to include forty new figures spread over late 2012 and 2013. There's no way we're getting ten waves of Generations deluxes in a year and a half, is there? So that probably means that the line is going to be expanding into other size classes.

[EDIT]Also they're making a Marvel Legends Death's Head figure, which in my books is an honorary Generations toy in every way that matters./EDIT]
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Shockwave -- Really the only reveal that I'm impressed by. It's a pretty spiffy update and should fit in nicely with people's Classics et al collections. It, well, looks like a Shockwave and that's what folks have wanted for some time now.

Jazz and Prime -- **shrugs**

Bruticus -- Didn't care much for the combined mode to begin with, and this certainly doesn't do much to sway my opinion. But, I'm confused; is that an unfinished prototype or what the finished product is more or less going to look like? I say this because, the individual figures' paint schemes seen from Hasbro's slides/stock photos (same as Game Informer's) don't match up with the one(s) on display (i.e. purple Blast Off, red Vortex).
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Death's Head? Hell yes.

Oh, they're doing some Transformers toys as well?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

ooh Death's Head...hope its the original...and with interchangable weaponary! (i would prefer the black and yellow body over the green body warmer look, or even the brown and red What If..? one)Ever since Four Horsemen's update of Trapjaw in the 2002 MOTU line I've been hopeful of an official DH toy.

Only concerns: Marvel's action figures are generally very ugly as they go overboard with making the things 'super posable', which means none of them can stand straight without looking like they've been in a horrible accident, with body parts shifting and slumping at awkward angles. I don't mind a bit of articulation, but really...who needs all this sh*t?

Oh, Shockwave... I am a bit disappointed by him. He's nearly there...but couldn't they have left him has a ray gun? he turns into nothing like the awful DOTM toy. BOOOOOOO!

Bruticus looks a bit of a disaster. The Jazz toy looks petty nifty, if having a bit of an odd looking head.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Shockwave looks bloody brilliant.

Don't really much care for Cybertronian Optimus Prime toy number fifteen, or for the sub-par looking Jazz.

Death's Head!

Bruticus... that Onslaught looks like a cheap man's Kup. Brawl and Swindle look bloody fantastic, and despite what you all might say, I like Blast Off's design. I just hope the gold plastic whatever doesn't blow him up straight off the package. Vortex has a nice-looking design but that paint scheme made my eyes bleed.

Screw anyone who says WFC/FOC are in the same continuity with the Prime cartoon, these shit are G1. Unless they had, oh, a cutscene in the game where Starscream and Bumblebee and Soundwave and practically everybody else gets zapped and changed into there awesome looking Prime bodies.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Warcry wrote: There's no way we're getting ten waves of Generations deluxes in a year and a half, is there?
It's possible if Hasbro pulls something like Reveal the Shield again, which was basically an extension of Generations. That came to about, what, 30 to 35 figures between Fall 2010 and Spring 2011?

...Mind, that's kinda cheating, as some of those were retools and redecos :o Though, I suspect among those 40 new figures, there's bound to be some Thundercrackers and Skywarps and the like, too.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Mmm, they haven't repainted some of the molds from the first Generations and Gold package (insert subline here) like Scourge or Kup, so out of the forty toys there's bound to be quite a bit of repaints.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Skyquake87 wrote:Oh, Shockwave... I am a bit disappointed by him. He's nearly there...but couldn't they have left him has a ray gun?
Not really. He's part of the video game line, so Hasbro pretty much had to stick to that design. And G1 Shockwave would look really funny alongside the spiky, alien-looking WfC Decepticons.
zigzagger wrote:It's possible if Hasbro pulls something like Reveal the Shield again, which was basically an extension of Generations. That came to about, what, 30 to 35 figures between Fall 2010 and Spring 2011?
Counting Deluxes only, it's closer to half of that. From the first wave until they went on hiatus after Warpath there were eighteen Generations deluxes, and then six more that were released in RtS. So twenty-four all together.

It's only once you count the Legends, Scouts (well, Scout...Windcharger's the only one who got released), Voyagers and the Rodimus/Cyclonus two-pack you're getting a lot closer to forty, which is why I figure they'll have to expand to the other size classes again to make up those numbers.
Blackjack wrote:Mmm, they haven't repainted some of the molds from the first Generations and Gold package (insert subline here) like Scourge or Kup, so out of the forty toys there's bound to be quite a bit of repaints.
Oh, for sure. There's no way they're going to make anywhere close to forty new molds. There are at least half a dozen molds from the last set that haven't been reused yet (Scourge, Kup, Laser Prime, Perceptor, Lugnut, Warpath, Jazz and Windcharger...am I forgetting anyone else?), on top of Rumble and Frenzy who'll probably see a release at some point. And of course most of the new molds will get redecos themselves. At a guess I'd say we'll probably see at least ten to fifteen more new molds over the course of the line.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Warcry wrote:Not really. He's part of the video game line, so Hasbro pretty much had to stick to that design. And G1 Shockwave would look really funny alongside the spiky, alien-looking WfC Decepticons.
Not only that, but they stuck almost perfectly to his design from the first game. Which I think is pretty freaking cool.

In the first game, he was a Seeker that was available as DLC for the on-line portion of the game. (or for free if you pre-ordered him from GameStop)

The stock photos of Bruticus (and in fact all the Combaticons) look flipping fantastic! Live photos...not so much. If those are the real colors...they look atrocious. :(
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"