@Cliffy: Gundam?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Not meaning to spam the thread-count here, just a lot to reply to and I'm doing it in batches while installing EVERYTHING on my machine all over again.
Sades wrote:I want a Haro.
I picked up a full-size green plushie Haro for my youngest (who adores him from Dynasty Warriors 2 and 3). I also have smaller (though in-universe full size) Mr. Pink and Mr. Yellow for my oldest.

I've come close to coding a Haro Tagomachi desktop app, but really can't think of much to do with him.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I wish, but really, we've only got money for the cheaper 1/144 scale kits and I'm not minding them much. The Heavyarms looks awesome and the only thing bothering me about the rest of them is the stickers and only because I suck at putting on the ones for the head.

I've gotten some paint markers and am taking a shot at filling in some of the details and am panel lining too. So far I've done the Sandrock, and it looks like crap but I figure I'll get better. Probably no one gets it perfect their first time.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Hound wrote:I wish, but really, we've only got money for the cheaper 1/144 scale kits and I'm not minding them much. The Heavyarms looks awesome and the only thing bothering me about the rest of them is the stickers and only because I suck at putting on the ones for the head.
The older Wing and G 1/144 series can be really hit or miss, and they really do almost require a Gundam marker. (The Gundam Rose really just requires a lot of outright PAINT due to the arms). You can get good sets on Amazon, and I strongly reccomend the SEED and Zeon marker sets to cover most of your needs.
I've gotten some paint markers and am taking a shot at filling in some of the details and am panel lining too. So far I've done the Sandrock, and it looks like crap but I figure I'll get better. Probably no one gets it perfect their first time.
You CAN use a thin marker to do the panel lines, but I found that using a paint wash works far better. Look up "Badab Black" for minatures paints, and that's a really good way to get this seams and some weathering in without a huge amount of effort.
Hound

Post by Hound »

1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Sades

Post by Sades »

TFVanguard wrote:
You CAN use a thin marker to do the panel lines, but I found that using a paint wash works far better. Look up "Badab Black" for minatures paints, and that's a really good way to get this seams and some weathering in without a huge amount of effort.
I suggested this, but I think he stopped listening to me when we got married. *rolleyes*
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Sades wrote:I suggested this, but I think he stopped listening to me when we got married. *rolleyes*
"It's not that he stopped listening, it's that he doesn't have to work as hard for you anymore." - Old Joke
Sades

Post by Sades »

That makes both of us, then. :lol:

He did an admirable job with those paint pens, tbh. I wasn't sure if they'd work out very well, but he's made them work.

We've been watching Gundam 00 and I'm finding that I really like it. I've been eyeing up a MG Exia... How many MG kits are there for 00? I think Hound's completist tendencies are rubbing off, I'm not really wanting to buy a MG Exia if I can't get the rest. Might go with high grade instead.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Hound

Post by Hound »

I'm almost finished with 00 and it's been freakin' awesome.

I really don't get what anyone has against the second season. Mind I'm not finished, still got 9 eps to watch, but so far this is turning out to be one of my favorite series.

My real problem is getting the wife to watch Mobile Suit Gundam after watching 00 with me. MSG is such a slow burner compared to 00 and the animation is sooooooo much older. Plus she has the attention span of a gnat so I'm not sure how I convince her to stick with it cause the whole story is fantastic.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Hound wrote:My real problem is getting the wife to watch Mobile Suit Gundam after watching 00 with me. MSG is such a slow burner compared to 00 and the animation is sooooooo much older. Plus she has the attention span of a gnat so I'm not sure how I convince her to stick with it cause the whole story is fantastic.
The original Gundam has some pacing issues initially, which do work out once the overall plot gets going. I would try to get her interested in the original Char Aznable and go from there, but he does have a rather extended abscenes once the White Base makes planetfall...
Hound

Post by Hound »

I finished 00. On the whole I thought the series was fantastic. I loved almost every character about the only one's I didn't like were Louise and Andre Smirnoff as I thought they were just kind of stupid throughout the entire series. What I liked most was how relatively unremarkable or downright unlikeable characters like Setsuna and Tieria became two of my favorites by the end of it.

The plot was good. It wasn't mind-blowing or anything but it kept me engaged for the entire 50 episodes which is very very rare for one of these Gundam shows, though I do have to admit it was the characters that kept me watching.

Also "Boobs"... I mean Sumeragi and Lockon are the awesome times infinity plus one. :swirly:

We also watched the 00 movie which was not so good. It was fine I guess, the ending was just a little... well, stupid. Don't really know how else to put it.

Also, I've watched the first 10 episodes of SEED. I've gotten through the retread of the 5 or so episodes of the original anime, which didn't really bother me that they were using the same plots from the first Gundam cartoon. That's fine to me really, plus I knew it was coming.

Kira's attitude is getting on my nerves a little though. I think it's just my having seen the whole "whiny kid pilot that doesn't want to do all the fighting" so many times now that even though I understand that he probably should behave that way, I'm just kind of sick of it. Especially after 00 where all the pilots are trained and supposed to be fighting. I just want his story to get past this part and on to the real meat of this story.

Flay is also stupid...

Finally, I've now got all the 1/144 scale Gundams from the Wing series that I wanted. Painting them was a real challenge and I know I should probably have used a paint wash and brushes for the job but I still had a load of fun painting them even though the feet on all of them look like crap.

I still want to get the 1/144 scale Endless Waltz Gundams but I don't think I'm going to paint them. They're HG anyway, so they won't be as simplified as these Wing kits I did anyway right?

I also used my brithday money to buy a MG Guncannon which should be here in a couple of weeks. Can't wait to put that together!
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Hound wrote:Also, I've watched the first 10 episodes of SEED. I've gotten through the retread of the 5 or so episodes of the original anime, which didn't really bother me that they were using the same plots from the first Gundam cartoon. That's fine to me really, plus I knew it was coming.
SEED has one really big weakness, and that's the constant flashback pieces. Otherwise it's a pretty solid Gundam series.
Kira's attitude is getting on my nerves a little though. I think it's just my having seen the whole "whiny kid pilot that doesn't want to do all the fighting" so many times now that even though I understand that he probably should behave that way, I'm just kind of sick of it.
Kira does a remarkable improvement after the first arc and, unlike a lot of Gundam protagonists, he figures things out. Sadly he becomes too much the Gundam Messiah near the end and he becomes near unsufferable in Destiny... But he does it a little better than some OTHER Gundam leads...
Flay is also stupid...
Keep with that thought...
I still want to get the 1/144 scale Endless Waltz Gundams but I don't think I'm going to paint them. They're HG anyway, so they won't be as simplified as these Wing kits I did anyway right?
The new HG Wing sets are pretty solid and look as good as the rest of the modern line up. However, be sure to avoid the 1/100 HG series from last decade, they're not all that great and definately not worth it if you find them marked up. The new MG Wing suits though... gods.. so very sweet.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

The only good thing about Flay is that the Remaster gave her huge tracts of land.

That's about it.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I finished SEED.

First, what I didn't like:
The crying by like everyone. Lots of over-emoting.
Flay is annoying and I cheered when she got killed. "Ohhh, he saved her... Wait! YESSS!!!!"
The flashbacks. I knew and expected to see a lot of them and even then I was still annoyed by it.

What I did like:
Athrun, Captain Ramius, Mu La Flaga, Andrew Waltfeld and Yzak. They were all great and handled well.
People say that it's bad because it's basically a retelling of the original Gundam but I disagree. I think it does a good job of retelling that story. SEED does it well and manages to incorporate it's own elements to set itself apart.
The Mobile Suits were all beautiful too.

The rest, like the music and such, is all just mediocre but adequate, not really taking away from the overall quality.

After a break I'll try Destiny and hope that everyone is wrong about this series.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Hound wrote:I finished SEED.

First, what I didn't like:
The crying by like everyone. Lots of over-emoting.
Flay is annoying and I cheered when she got killed. "Ohhh, he saved her... Wait! YESSS!!!!"
The flashbacks. I knew and expected to see a lot of them and even then I was still annoyed by it.
Yeah, Flay needed some moments of redemption or a moment of awesome somewhere and never really got one. It took her DEATH to realize what a bitch she had been... and even that felt like a writer's afterthought. It's no wonder why she's one of the most unpopular characters in all of Gundam. (And easily the most unpopular female.)
People say that it's bad because it's basically a retelling of the original Gundam but I disagree. I think it does a good job of retelling that story. SEED does it well and manages to incorporate it's own elements to set itself apart.
It basically is a retelling of MSG, but it does it well and does find its own space from time to time. I do wish that we would have seen more sympathetic characters on the part of the Federation, though... this is a problem that gets grossly exacerbated in Destiny, since the producer of both shows is apparently a huge anti-Gaijin bigot, and it shows in all his work. :S
The Mobile Suits were all beautiful too.
I've never been a fan of the Freedom, but the Strike is one of my favorite suit designs. I've got .. six? .. variants of that suit already. :P
After a break I'll try Destiny and hope that everyone is wrong about this series.
Without spoiling you, I'm going to say ONE thing that'll make watching the show a whole lot easier... Shinn Azuka is not the main character, Athrun is. Basically, Destiny is an inversion of Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam. Keep that in mind. :)
Hound

Post by Hound »

Got MG Guncannon!

Is awesome!

I have pics. Yeah it could probably use some sanding and paint and I didn't apply any stickers but is still awesome. Look...
Attachments
IMG_0881.JPG
IMG_0880.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG
Hound

Post by Hound »

30 episodes into Destiny and I hate everyone. Except Ramius cause she's still cool. Oh and Athrun is still cool too. Actually Kira is quite a bit less annoying in Destiny too.

Everyone else is crap though, especially Shinn and Cagalli.

Story is... so-so.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I finished Destiny last night and watched Stargazer this morning so I'm pretty much done with Gundam for awhile.

I know that there is still AGE and Unicorn to watch but I'm waiting to see if there's going to be a boxset DVD release of them.

I know that it's practically impossible that there will be any DVD release of AGE in North America, but I'm going to give it a few months while I watch other things and I think the chances of a Unicorn collection are at least probable.

So after nearly two years of watching Gundam nearly non stop I've seen it all. Some quick thoughts on them after looking back...

Mobile Suit Gundam - A good overall story but has some pacing problems in the middle.
08th MS Team - Beautiful animation and a great story, one of the best.
0080 War in the Pocket - Good story but not long enough to live up to it's potential.
0083 Stardust Memory - An ok story but some terrible characters.
Zeta Gundam - Love the mecha in this one and Char is probably the best in this one than he is in anything else. Probably my second favorite.
Gundam ZZ - Love Judau, love the ZZ Gundam, the story is pretty good.
Char's Counterattack - Great movie but Quess and Hathaway are the worst characters I've ever seen in anything.
F91 - Terrible. A great big messy jumble of crap. Characters are bland and the story is confusing.
Victory - Love most of the characters in this one, story is good, LOTS of death.
G Gundam - Great Mecha, story is ok, characters are OTT and the voice acting was pretty awful.
Gundam Wing - Characters are almost all terrible, the story is mostly awful but the mecha are awesome and I think it all looks very beautiful.
Endless Waltz - Gorgeous, but the story is 'meh'.
Gundam X - Great everything except that the ending is rushed.
Turn A - Fantastic in just about every respect, just didn't care for the mecha designs. Easily my favorite.
Gundam SEED - The story is ripped from MSG and the characters are almost all annoying and the flashbacks are way too overused. Still thought it was good.
SEED Destiny - Terrible. Even more use of flashbacks and clip shows and the story is ok at best.
Stargazer - Wow, my only complaint is that it's way too short. Should have been a full length movie.
Gundam 00 - Good story, good characters, great mecha, avoid the movie.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Got the HGUC RX-178 w/ Flying Armour today and built it, too.

I'd complete forgotten what a pain applying pinhead-sized decals is. People complain about getting large decals off-alignment, but microscopic decals are the same but you can't even use your fingers to straighten them out.

Don't some of the kits have pre-tampoed decals on them? I should probably try one of those.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Calling F91 terrible isn't really fair given its very troubled production.

"Originally planned as a full-length television series, Gundam F91 hit a production snag due to staff disputes, and the project was stopped after the screenplays for the first thirteen episodes were written. It was then decided that what was made of the show would be condensed into a theatrical feature film. Condensing a story originally intended to be told over the course of fifty half-hour episodes into less than two hours of screen time required much of the original story to be cut." (from Wikipedia)

It's a good idea with good people behind it ruined by executive issues.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Sunstreaker2 wrote:Calling F91 terrible isn't really fair given its very troubled production.
Just because there's an excuse for why it's terrible doesn't mean it's not terrible.