Transformers: More than Meets the Eye Season One #1-22

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

zigzagger wrote: If I'm remembering right, that is. Thought Roberts said that at a panel or something.
IIRC it was pitched as a one off Spotlight: Megatron before becoming two issues and part of the ongoing at Hasbro's request as they wanted Optimus Prime to coin the term "Autobot" (though in the final issue he more sort of reclaims it rather than inventing it).

So, in the end only RID actually felt like a proper Dinobot story with the other two comics feeling more "Oh, ffs OK, here's Grimlock as a contractual obligation, now go away". In the event any floating buyers did pick up this or Reg specifically because of the heavy Dinobot promotion chances are they'll be cheesed off enough at the false advertising not to bother coming back.

Bad points about the issue first:

As with last month, the virtual ignoring of the lead characters and ongoing plots in order to incorporate a side show worries me in the long term. Effectively everything that matters in terms of the balls already in the air across both issues could have been covered in about six pages (Rung and Red Alert, Chromedome and Skids, the DJD finding Overlord and maybe the OMINOUS DEATH FORESHADOWING).

With IDW's history with long running plots I'd much rather the book focus on finishing old business before starting new. Especially as it looks as if Krok's Crew (that's what we should call them and I'm going to keep doing it till you all do) are heading off to RID (at least long enough to bring all the Dinobots back together) and won't have much more bearing on the events of MTMTE.

The DJD were fairly useless, against a bunch of useless nobodies they have far, far too much trouble. Overlord will make a toast rack from their bones in about three minutes.

There was also a recurrance of that Furman oddity of "Well, I've like totally won this fight and could kill you right here right now and it would only take seconds but there's this... thing I've got to go do. So I won't. Even though it's taking me about the same amount of time to deliver my Next Time Gadget! speech as it would to actually just kill you". See Trypticon in War Within 2 and Sixshot in Devastation.

The Misfire/Flywheels/Necrobot FUBAR was annoying as well. [According to the Wiki Roberts has said an error in this two parter will be fixed for the trade... Considering for the irony to work it should be the seeker the Necrobot finds will Flywheels be redrawn into that role in issue 7?]

The good:

All of Krok's crew were well written and hugely likeable and basically carried a fairly light plot.

Alex Milne continues to come along in leaps and bounds, he's really on top of his game now and seems a million light years away from the chap who did work so muddled and messy he deserved to be repeatedly tricked by Pat Lee into not getting paid for it.

The Necrobot amused me as I like to think it took 18 months for him to get around to Flywheels because Prowl has been keeping him busy by killing everyone on Cybertron.

EDIT: Oh, and it turns out Skids is the John Simm version of the Master, with all that music going on in his head. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Inflatable Dalek wrote:As with last month, the virtual ignoring of the lead characters and ongoing plots in order to incorporate a side show worries me in the long term.
Yeah, I didn't like how the Overlord plot being put off for, what, two, three issues now? And how Red Alert doesn't just grab Rodimus or Magnus and say 'OH MY GOD WE HAVE OVERLORD IN OUR BASEMENT!'

Still, since in the trade-off we get Misfire and Crankcase, I shan't be complaining much.
Inflatable Dalek wrote:The Necrobot amused me as I like to think it took 18 months for him to get around to Flywheels because Prowl has been keeping him busy by killing everyone on Cybertron.
Nah, Flywheels is just that unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

The Necrobot even bothered to take down Dipstick's name before going on to Flywheels! That's how unimportant Flywheels is. The thought made me chuckle. Poor guy, we barely know ye.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Blackjack wrote:
Nah, Flywheels is just that unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

The Necrobot even bothered to take down Dipstick's name before going on to Flywheels! That's how unimportant Flywheels is. The thought made me chuckle. Poor guy, we barely know ye.
I took that as being a spin on Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged - he's out of synch with time and so is marking off the names according to his own order. Wowbagger's list was alphabetical, who knows what the Necrobots' is.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

inflatable dalek wrote:
As with last month, the virtual ignoring of the lead characters and ongoing plots in order to incorporate a side show worries me in the long term....
As much as I enjoy these diversions, it does seem like we've derailed a little. Shadowplay, at a glance, seems to also be continuing this trend (as awesome as the arc sounds).

Well, at least we know that one of the big threads - if not the biggest - is going to addressed very soon in the annual (which has been pushed back to September 5th, god-****ing-dammit).

But, yeah, the Overlord thing. That, uh...that seems awfully important. Something that poses that great a danger to the entire crew of the Lost Light, one would think someone would get on top of that.

But, no, Red Alert wants to keep it a secret...? That's a bit contrived, if you ask me.
inflatable dalek

I don't mind the Red Alert thing so much- it was clearly spelt out his mental condition has deteriorated badly since he found the Spark Eater so not being willing to share doesn't bother me. I mean, imagine being a paranoid member of a species that can become any piece of electrical equipment you might be using. No wonder he's derailed. It's amazing he didn't shoot that data slug as a spy (especially after the hint Rewind turns into something similar. Ohhhh... with Chromedome now keen to keep dark secrets secret for the good of all perhaps it was his mysterious hands in the last issue, picking up his little partner? *Conspiracy*).

I just wish they'd get a move on with it. Especially after the breakneck pace of the first few issues. It's almost as if IDW said "Do an issue about Decepticons, then do one about Grimlock for our themed months" and buggered up the story arcs. Odd that.

But don't get me wrong, this is a hugely, hugely, enjoyable diversion. But I've been banging on about RID similarly stalling on its plots so this doesn't get a free pass for that.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

inflatable dalek wrote:Ohhhh... with Chromedome now keen to keep dark secrets secret for the good of all perhaps it was his mysterious hands in the last issue, picking up his little partner? *Conspiracy*
Ooh, good call. I didn't consider of that!

Just a theory of course, but looking back at Drift and Rodimus' conversation at the end of issue #6, it's quite possible they enlisted Rewind to keep an eye on him.

Mind, it hasn't been established that Rewind possesses mass displacement capabilities, but I suppose he could've swapped out Red's own datastick with himself. Couple that with his and Chromedome's dark and mysterious past, and we just might have a somewhat plausible motive.

Could totally be wrong, but...yay, speculation!
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Much late to this one, my own feeling is that the last 2 issues have been solid diversions. Assuming that the annuals 2 issue length story runs somewhat parallel to this is a good idea and one that RiD would do well to copy when its annual arrives.

Quite like the DJD overall - I think it's important to have proper villians, even if there is more than a touch of the panto about them. I was a little worried they would be over powerful but in this they seem deadly rather than god-like. There's some nice touches to them too - Vos as a sniper rifle (makes sense that he is agent 113), the "tamed" spark eater that Kaon has, Tarn transforming multiple times in the issue (no wonder he needs a constant stream of cogs). Helex and Tesarus seem more like mindless muscle to be fair but you cant have everyone being a solid character.

The Scavengers are also great fun. Sadly, if they are heading towards cybertron they will probably end up in RiD which would be a shame - nothing against Barber but this lot work because of Roberts dialogue style and humour. I cant see that carrying over to Barbers world. And Prowl will probably end up killing them anyway.

Some negatives? Sure, but not the ones others point out (for me anyway). I liked how Grimlock was done. His normal character has been done to death in both the marvel run, Max Dinobots and now in regeneration one. There is no point not taking a new slant on that character. Is it false advertising? Well, maybe but if you buy a comic 8 issues in purely based on some bullshit "Dinobot" month blurb than I have little sympathy.

I'll also for once defend the "I could kill you, but now have to leave" in this case. Seeing as the DJD are all about the torture of their target once the target is dead (which they thought Fulcrom was) there is little point for them to stay. I can also imagine that for Tarn your place on the list determines how much effort he is willing to put in. Yeah, I'm clutching but it didnt feel as silly here when the DJD did head off.

For me the two niggles arent about the issue itself but more the cracks that they could be showing. First we have the mix-up this issue between Mis-fire and Flywheels being in search of the necrobot. I read one of roberts posts on the IDW forum that this was an honest mistake and will be corrected in the trade which is fine. Its a minor thing. The other mistake is that in issue 7, and again its a minor one, is that Tarn asks Helex to keep scanning for Overlords signature but in issue 8 its made clear that Kaon is in charge of that job.

Again its no biggie but it made me think back to when Furmans run started to fall apart. It was clear that the editor wasnt keeping track of all the balls Furman was throwing into the air and while Simon must take some of the blame I do feel a stronger editor could have helped shaped the "-tion" series into something less of a mess.

My main point is that these are two simple gaffs that an editor should have spotted well before. There's been similar gaffs with the way Autocracy falls into how events where potrayed in Chaos Theory. I can understand some ret-con activity in relation to something old like Megatron:origins but it shouldnt be a problem with recent comics. Are we looking at a similar situation where we've had good starts but with so many plots and characters to juggle things may go a little wayward? I hope not.The current set-up is the best that IDW have managed and even if I;m not fully invested in the story of King Bee and his homicidal Prowl, overall we have a colourful and interesting universe to read about. With Autocracy 2 coming at some point, I just hope Barber makes sure that the events in the past dont contradict too much what is being told in the present.
Red Dave Prime

Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye Annual 2012

Post by Red Dave Prime »

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia ... ?aid=47406

Really looking forward so I resisted looking into the preview. Out on wednesday I hope. Cover is absolutely awful (look how small chromedomes car mode) but apparently links into the Robot in Disguise Annual.

Is that Metroplex on the cover?

Anyway - Yay!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Well, the pages we see here don't seem to rely on any knowledge of RiD... looking good.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Heh...So just a normal day on the Lost Light, then. The book seems aware of itself, but it's all in good fun.

Also -- "Trailcutter"? Booooo!
relak
Protoform

Post by relak »

Could th state of grimlock be a dig at furman?
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

edit: can one of the staff move this (or tell me how?)

So, this is quite big.

Just as a warning, its hard to discuss some points of this issue here without covering spoilers.

For anyone who felt the last two issues treaded water, this "annual", despite being double sized, covers a lot of ground. And its not all covered well, at least on first reading.

First the art - I cant really say I took to it. Its very uneven and the way some of the autobots were drawn gave me flashbacks to Hearts of Darkness - not a good thing. There's a nice touch with the flash back scenes being coloured in a, for want of a better word, marvel old school style. But the main art for most of it isnt up to what we've had before and its amazing how much character Burchams colours brought to MTMTE. Some panels are also a bit tricky to follow towards the end (although that may improve on re-reads)

The plot itself, and what it brings to the series is a mixture of good, very good and hmmm. Que Spoiler box!
SPOILER! (select to read)
First the good stuff - we get a bit more on the intergalactic council. I really like the idea that the rest of the universe is somewhat fed up with Transformers and I think this could be an excellent line to follow as something different. Certainly, it would be something new for the IDW run (I have no idea if its something marvel tried before)

I also liked the take on how the Transformers religion views their creation. Its different enough from Furmans work and it kinda makes sense in the way religous stuff does. Theres a hint of a unicorn-type evil but its not named as such. We do get the equivilant of Devil for the Transformers in Mortilus and overall I liked how this was done. It helps that we also get some of the Autobots out rightly down playing the religous things so its unknown if its the full story or not. It also gives a bit more insight into Cyclonus - if we're talking Religion he really comes across as a warrior priest kind of character to me now. And I always hear Alan Rickman in his words :)

We also get a bit more insight into Metroplex (no, its not him on the cover but it is a fellow megatitan transformer). Its not all outright explained but we do get some solid backstory.

There's also some further set-up on the Skids issue. Again, Nothing explained but lots of hints and clues pop up.

If we're talking "hmmm" though , I have to question the ending. It really feels deus ex machina - and that may indeed have been the point. But it just didnt sit right and felt like a real cheap end. In some ways, Roberts painted himself into a corner a little with the incinerator bubble and this was the way out. Hopefully it reads better a second time but I really thought the ending let things down.
Back outside the spoiler zone and to conclude - its an ok issue. Lots of cool little character points and nods here and there (including a tip of the cap to readers who felt the cliff hanger to issue one was a bit of a cheat) but the ending left me feeling a little underwhelmed. Maybe a bit more of the overall picture should have been revealed. At the end, we have some new plot strands added but instead of solving one of the original strands, its kinda been replaced with another, pretty similar one.
inflatable dalek

SPOILERS

The non-Guido art was really... odd. I don't think the colouring helped though, was it me or was there a considerable amount of miscolouring this issue (especially on Drift who seemed to have pretty consistent blue highlights- was someone confused with Blur?).

But a nice, very dense plot. I loved how all the Ultra Magnus mouth stuff wound up being important plot foreshadowing rather than just a silly action sequence; setting up the shrinkey gun; Metrotitan's affect on the crew and the smile.

Liked the revamped origin story (no 13 here, yay!). Whilst still hinting at Unicron it was nice to get something that wasn't just the same old same old. It might all turn out to be lies of course (or even not to have any bearing on anything) but as a look into Cyclonus' psych it was very nicely done. And whilst there was no real reason for the "Marvel" style colouring on those pages it was a nice styalistic touch (though along with his covers it did make me wish Guido was doing interior art on Regeneration One...).

I hope this is an important turning point for Magnus and Drift as well. I'm not a particular fan of the pre-Roberts (IDW version in Magnus' case) versions of these two and as such didn't mind them being turned into out and out jokes too much, but the gag was starting to wear a bit thin. With these little crises hopefully we'll start to see them turn into slightly less one-gag punching bags.

Swerve, Skids, Rewind (who really does turn into a giant data slug! Though Brainstorm has the gun that means he could well have been what Red Alert put in Rung's hand), Ore (!); Ratchet (who finally got told to **** off by Drift as well, that's been a while coming); Brainstorm and Chromedome all got lovely bits of characterisation. Rodimus less so, but some of the comedy stuff was nice with him.

The Galactic Space Police were pretty much a plot device and I didn't think for a second Magnus would taken them up on the offer, but they were harmless enough in terms of providing a less existential threat. Not to bothered if we never see them again though.

And so the first crusade of the Crusadercons reaches its end. Unsurprisingly they didn't find what they were looking for, but the launching point into the next stage of the quest is pretty interesting (without checking last issues I guess they're heading in the direction of Krok's crew?). Here's hoping it keeps up the good work.

And was that the 1984 robots attacking the Crystal City in the flashback?
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Liked the revamped origin story (no 13 here, yay!). Whilst still hinting at Unicron it was nice to get something that wasn't just the same old same old. It might all turn out to be lies of course (or even not to have any bearing on anything) but as a look into Cyclonus' psych it was very nicely done. And whilst there was no real reason for the "Marvel" style colouring on those pages it was a nice styalistic touch (though along with his covers it did make me wish Guido was doing interior art on Regeneration One...).
Agreed. It gave some form of sense to vector sigma and the matrix but is vague enough that they can classify it as religious mumbo jumbo if needs be.
With these little crises hopefully we'll start to see them turn into slightly less one-gag punching bags.
I suppose this leads to the real test of Roberts writing skills - can he evolve his characters. If Magnus goes back to type than we've achieved nothing, same with Rodimus. Funny, it looks like Rodimus might become more serious while Magnus loosens up. Equally, Swerve has a defining moment here as well and Drift and Cyclonus could become unlikely "believer buddies"
The Galactic Space Police were pretty much a plot device and I didn't think for a second Magnus would taken them up on the offer, but they were harmless enough in terms of providing a less existential threat. Not to bothered if we never see them again though.

I read that a little differently. It may lead to more of an impact on Robots in Disguise but I get the feeling the Galactic Space Police view the uneasy peace as a chance to get rid of the cybertronian threat once and for all.
without checking last issues I guess they're heading in the direction of Krok's crew?). Here's hoping it keeps up the good work.
Not sure on that one. Issue 7/8 happen on Clemmency in the Kol System (spelling may be wrong) and Rodimus mentions the Argon Nebula. I'd imagine its Kroks bunch but it could be something else.
And was that the 1984 robots attacking the Crystal City in the flashback?
Yep. But its unclear who they are taking on. One kind of looks like Ratchet but that wouldnt make sense. Possibly its characters from the Drift Mini, but I dont want to look.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

zigzagger wrote:Heh...So just a normal day on the Lost Light, then. The book seems aware of itself, but it's all in good fun.

Also -- "Trailcutter"? Booooo!
Liked him (everyone) being included on Magnus' list, though...

Loved that. The series now has a bit of its own mythology, including the subtler concept that Primus (infinite?) divided is still Primus. Great use of Cyclonus as really old. I actually have a bit of sympathy for Drift, now.

Art was fine -- a bit fannish in style, but it fit the excesses of the script/concepts with some genuinely nice flourishes included. Some annoying typos that I assume were introduced at the composition stage. I don't understand why IDW don't seem to use software with basic spell-checking facilities.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

It feels weird to say this considering my opinion of the guy before this series, but the artwork definitely isn't up to Milne's high standard. Guido's flashback sequence was really nice, but the main body of the book was really rough and unpolished. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say that art issues were what delayed the book, because some sequences seemed very rushed and unfinished. For a big "event" book like this one it's really a shame that they couldn't have lured back Roche or another established Transformers artists to take on the non-Guido art duties.

The story was great, though. We've gotten the occasional glimpse of the disdain that other species hold for the Transformers, but never with this much focus. There was a lot of character development too. I for one will be happy to move away from the one-note joke character version of Ultra Magnus, and it looks like Rodimus, Drift, Cyclonus, Swerve and Chromedome will be moving off in different directions than the one they've been headed too.

The idea that there could potentially be hundreds of Metrotitans dotting the galaxy is a tough one to wrap my head around, too. This guy was in rough shape, but Metroplex was as good as new so I think we can put his poor condition down to how Dai Atlas and company abused him. It does raise a question, though. If the Metrotitans were the ships of the Knights and Alpha Trion has one of them serving as his personal chariot...is he one of the Knights?
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

inflatable dalek wrote:SPOILERS

Ratchet (who finally got told to **** off by Drift as well, that's been a while coming)
Issue #5 left me wondering if this thread had been resolved or not. It had been left up in the air, though Ratchet and Drift did seem to be on better terms by the end of their ordeal.

I suppose I'm pleased to be wrong :)

Covers and solicits for the upcoming Shadowplay story arc does suggest that we'll get a better idea what Ratchet's beef with Drift is, as well as details pertaining to some past event (or discussion) they were involved in, hinted at in either #4 or #5.
Warcry wrote: If the Metrotitans were the ships of the Knights and Alpha Trion has one of them serving as his personal chariot...is he one of the Knights?
I'm thinking so, even if it's not confirmed outright. It's what I was thinking.

We also see multiple Metrotitans leaving Cybertron. I'm guessing the Knights all chose separate paths and are not traveling together -- Alpha Trion certainly is.
Red Dave Prime wrote:
If we're talking "hmmm" though , I have to question the ending. It really feels deus ex machina - and that may indeed have been the point. But it just didnt sit right and felt like a real cheap end.
Subsequent reading might change this, but, I must admit, I felt the same way. And, really, it isn't the first time things have wrapped up in a similar manner. As much as I enjoyed that arc, issues #4 and #5 also come to mind.

--

Not a whole lot else I can add, but....

Swerve -- A lot more going on here than what we've been led to believe, though I'm pretty sure we all suspected. I detect a little resentment towards Rodimus -- and rightfully placed, I'd say.

The Metrotitans -- Not much I care to add here, but it does go some way to explain where the hell Metroplex came from and possibly why he was built.

Question though; shouldn't Rodimus also know of their existence? He didn't feel like piping up?

Cyclonus -- Sure, a proper spotlight issue would do him justice, but as Denyer already said, a great use of him. Knowing the character and his role in the IDW-verse, I totally buy that he'd know these stories.

Was wondering when Roberts would do something with him.

Now if only Cyclonus would get around to getting his, uh...head protrusion-thingy reattached. Petty as it is, the lopsidedness still bothers me. Can't help it, it just does ;)

And speaking of Cyclonus....

The Creation Story -- Revamped slightly. Though kept deliberately ambiguous, I suspect. But still, as Dalek pointed out, I count five - named and clearly depicted - original Cybertronians...

Hooo boy. Let the good times roll :(

Even if it isn't accurate in the end, the creation story itself was suitably biblical and allegorical. Adds a little extra culture that Costa, if I recall correctly, claimed the Transformers universe was lacking.

It was also great to finally put some faces to all those deities we've been hearing about since Roberts took over.

The Art -- I rarely bring this up, but the penciling here -- hmmm...

My main issue, I think, is that it was...inconsistent. While Guidi's work on the flashblack segment was lovably retro, Salgado and Cabaltierra's seemed to be just going through the motions. Half the time it was passable, to give credit where it's due. Other times, I thought it was...sloppy.

Thought the coloring wasn't much better, either.

I'm usually not a stickler about this sorta thing, but it took me out of the story a few a times.

Milne's alternate cover, however, is quite lovely (even if I can't figure who's face that is on the bottom right corner, below Brainstorm).
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

I love Drift.

Does anyone not love Drift?

I mean, I was fine with him basically being treated as a fun ninja parody in the Costaverse and the MTMTE issues, but here happy hippy clippy Drift has gotten actual characterization...
inflatable dalek

Warcry wrote:It feels weird to say this considering my opinion of the guy before this series, but the artwork definitely isn't up to Milne's high standard. Guido's flashback sequence was really nice, but the main body of the book was really rough and unpolished. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say that art issues were what delayed the book, because some sequences seemed very rushed and unfinished. For a big "event" book like this one it's really a shame that they couldn't have lured back Roche or another established Transformers artists to take on the non-Guido art duties.
Yeah, I'm all in favour of new creative talent being tried out, but I'm not sure such a big beast of an issue was the best place to break someone in gently.
The idea that there could potentially be hundreds of Metrotitans dotting the galaxy is a tough one to wrap my head around, too. This guy was in rough shape, but Metroplex was as good as new so I think we can put his poor condition down to how Dai Atlas and company abused him. It does raise a question, though. If the Metrotitans were the ships of the Knights and Alpha Trion has one of them serving as his personal chariot...is he one of the Knights?
The real question is, if this is just a Metrotitan rather than the Metrotitan what's his name? Insert your own Metrosystem/Metrosexual jokes.

Where is Alpha Trion at the moment in the IDWverse anyway? There's been a few situations in both books Metroplex would hav been useful in.
zigzagger wrote: Subsequent reading might change this, but, I must admit, I felt the same way. And, really, it isn't the first time things have wrapped up in a similar manner. As much as I enjoyed that arc, issues #4 and #5 also come to mind.
I think it worked here because the fact it could be read as a literal deus ex machina was very much the point. I liked how there were two different religious/scientific hopeful/pessimistic readings of exactly what happened as well.

Now, we know Metrotitan is in the RID Annual as well. And this books is already out of synch slightly with MTMTE itself. So what odds this is set before the last two RID issues? You've got a character who can exert mental influence on Transformers from a distance; has just been through a very traumatic experience that could have left him skewered/pissed off enough (despite what Drift thinks) enough to send people off fighting each other as a result and is lonely enough his confused state could wind up bringing people together far to literally in the form of a combiner.

Maybe Ore is the super villain behind all of RID? :0

Was wondering when Roberts would do something with him.
That was a nice thing about the whole Annual, it used the extra space to make sure all the Major (with a big M0 characters got their moments, as did virtually all of the minor (with a small m) ones as well. Even Pipes got to be in it by proxy.
But still, as Dalek pointed out, I count five - named and clearly depicted - original Cybertronians...

Hooo boy. Let the good times roll :(
I can see the counter argument of there really being 13 already in my head.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Huh. Something just occurred to me...

Just a thought, mind you, but I've been wondering how exactly 'Cyclonus is key' to the Lost Light's quest.

It hasn't been made clear how old he is -- though, in truth, the same could be said for a majority of Cybertronians - just that he predates most of the Transformers we've seen over the years.

No, I'm not saying Cyclonus himself would be a Knight, interesting (if somewhat odd) a twist as that might be, just that, maybe - just maybe - he was present during the era when the KoC left Cybertron.

While Cyclonus has proven to be not the most reliable of narrators, he did claim to recognize the Metrotitan -- who Drift believes were the Knight's mode of transport.
Blackjack wrote:I love Drift.

Does anyone not love Drift?

I mean, I was fine with him basically being treated as a fun ninja parody in the Costaverse and the MTMTE issues, but here happy hippy clippy Drift has gotten actual characterization...
To be fair, Roberts is doing an admirable job, considering what he has to work with.

I'm not going to say that I now love the guy, just that Drift is being handled more...realistically, I suppose (could've sworn I brought this up a few issues back). He's a former-Decepticon warlord that's trying too hard to change the crew's impression of him, often to their irritation.

And while, as Dalek pointed out, Ratchet's was long due for a good telling-off, I do think Drift's quest is about seeking absolution.
inflatable dalek wrote: I can see the counter argument of there really being 13 already in my head.
Cyclonus not being the most reliable narrator is all I've seen so far. Can't say I've been paying much attention to the other boards, though.

I dunno. Maybe Primus doesn't like to speak of the other 8. Perhaps they were from a prior marriage.