Open University, anyone?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Open University, anyone?

Post by Knightdramon »

Has anybody ever tried an Open University, or gotten a degree from one of them?

I'm at a crossroad at the moment, on one hand "regular" universities don't really have entry qualifications on my level [speaking for the UK at the moment, I'd be laughing if we were talking about Greek ones], and since I finished high school around 8 years ago, I can't really go back to do better. I could search quite a bit harder to find some cracks through the seams in the UK higher education system, but will probably end up with a fifth tier university.

On the other hand, for pretty much the same money, Open university needs no qualifications, you (mostly) study at your leisure...only drawback is that it takes longer [4 to 6 years instead of 3] and as my brother in law says, you don't have any of the interaction with staff and students a regular university student has.

Any takes on this? For once I'd love working in any job [like I used to] while at the same time studying for a degree without the need to commute or dedicate entire mornings/afternoon periods.

Has anybody, UK or abroad, studied at one?

--For the record, UK Open Uni is easily accessible to anybody, while for the Greek Open Uni there's very limited "space" and you have to wrestle for a spot with thousands of other applicants. Twice I tried it, both times they had about 7 thousand people in reserve that needed to drop out/cancel before I could get in.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

My ex did various correspondence type courses, and AFAIK still speaks highly of the OU. I don't think all of the courses are that long (IIRC modules can be done concurrently and build into a degree-level qualification) but the option to do things on a schedule that suits the student has to be a plus.

Actually, I think they do some vocational stuff as well as pure academic subjects.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I have actually just recently signed up for my course with the OU. I start in October!
My mum did a Maths degree with them and had nothing but praise ( I'm doing philosophy and psychology).
Also, from what I understand, there's nothing to say you'll definitely take more than three years, just that you can if you want.
I like bears.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Just curious- You can't take a quick refresher course, write the final test again and up your final mark to meet qualifications?
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

If I take a quick refreshment course, I'll have to sit through final entry exams for universities in Greece, not UK, and it's much different now from when I was sitting for them circa 2005. I sat for maths, modern greek and IT networks, if I do it again next May I'll have these [with new material to study] plus 6 or so other subjects that I'll probably have to start from ground zero.

Sadly it's too time and money consuming at the moment, I figure it's much easier to just get a loan and be done with straight on courses at the open university.

Kind of tricky to read between the lines though; can I apply in the UK, get the loan [ie pay off the course], then move back to Greece and study from there? Or do I have to be based in the UK through and through [which seems ridiculous because it's studying from a distance regardless]?
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm Mit has a ton of MOOC available. I just started exploring it recently, but it is very promising. I think of it as what Youtube opened for learning on a university level. The knowledge is there for anyone who wants to look for it.