Transformers: More than Meets the Eye Season One #1-22

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Rack 'n Ruin wrote:I agree with Dalek about Magnus possibly being many different characters inhabiting the armour at different times. I wonder if this could be the author (or the editor - it's kind of his MO) trying to explain away character inconsistencies (important or not) from all previous IDW publications. Hope it is done with panache, if so. At least the pen is in Roberts' hand, not Barber's.
Not only has magnus been portrayed by those he captures (as punishment) but Tailgate will take over from Minimus.

I called it here first.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Tyrest is full of holes, and he's got one right in the middle of his forehead (which he puts his hand to when he's seemingly talking to himself). So... whose controlling (or bugging) him then, some sort of corrupted Version 1.0 sentient Aequitas? A small team of deterrence chip burrowing Insecticons?

On another note, I wonder if Rewind found out about everything from Overlord in the time before he died? Overlord stated to Chromedome that he was going to start his massacre with Rewind, if possible. Sealed in the slow cell together, I'm sure Overlord would have found it infinitely more fun breaking Rewind's brain with the evil that Chromedome has done, than to simply stamp him into the ground a la Pipes.

Also, Overlord knows how to work it both ways. He's in a slow cell with a Transformer whose head contains a database of... I dunno, the history of Cybertron! Once he's cracked that open I'm sure Overlord will have plenty of dirt on many people, including Megatron's bathing habits (& it must be a given that he's survived getting blown up, Rewind perhaps not).

So if Skids' nemesis is Misfire, and Whirl's was Killmaster, then Chromedome must have a new and deeply intimate nemesis in a refurbished Overlord, which must happen.

And how will it happen? With any luck Bumblebee'll find him again, apologise profusely and make sure Overlord's fixed up and given a lovely cottage with accompanying plot of land that anyone else would have to kill for, perhaps a yearly wage and subscription to Good Housekeeping (which is actually bloody good. The things you can clean with some lemon and bicarbonate of soda).

[Edit] Also Tyrest halted the Aequitas trials. According to what's been written so far, he solely designed Aequitas. But the halting has not been explained. Magnus' entire raison detre is around the Tyrest Accord (and other Tyresty things, no doubt) and he feels shackled by it now (ref: Issue 13).
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

It was mentioned back in Wreckers that having to listen to the trials had a deep affect on Prowl, maybe that's what sent Tyrest Snooker loopey?

I do wonder where the whole recurring theme of characters not being what they seem and names being changable is going, is Roberts just taking the idea of them being Transformers to its logical conclusion, or is it building up to something huge?

Interestingly, I think Rodimus and Ratchet the only "Main" (as opposed to minor who occassionally gets a bit more like Trailbreaker) characters who has been straight down the line exactly what they present themselves as so far. And even Rodimus used to have a different name.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

... And Blaster I guess. I'm quite happy if they all undergo serious character alterations as long as its interesting and fun for the reader. This whole remote controlled Magnus idea is quite interesting (it made me think of Jackie Chan's The Tuxedo), more intriguing than it being the white Prime inside.

I heard a throwaway comment about Oceans 12 today; how it was clearly more fun for the actors making it than it was for the audience. I wonder this about MTMTE. Its a ripping yarn, but it must be a pain in the arse for anyone whose not been on board since the beginning. I'd say that must be true of all comics, but MTMTE is I'm guessing a denser read than most other titles out there?

Rodimus had a different name?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Hot Rod :p I can't actually remember why Costa changed it now. Nor do I wish too.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

He may be rubbish with names, does quite a nice coffee though.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Wasnt the reason to do with Swindle telling him that all the other autobots were so impressed with his leadership that they were starting to call him "Rodimus Prime".

Yep, that was the reason. Better yet, even though Swindle was shown to be "swindling" Hot Rod / Rodimus, Big R liked the name he got conned into so much that he kept. Go Costa Go!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Swindle clearly playing to Hot Rod's vanity - he seems quite a cocky and slightly self-absorbed character, something MTMTE has riffed on.

I do like that we're getting to see a bit more of Rodimus character, rather than him always being weighted with the millstone of destiny the character of has had elsewhere.
Death's Head
Protoform

Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #19

Post by Death's Head »

SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Interesting stuff. Appears the prevailing theory of there having been more than one Ultra Magnus is correct. And it seems Tyrest being perforated is a relatively recent event as Magnus questions it. Wonder what the cause will turn out to be.

And it looks like the Legislators are tied in to Tyrest's actions, between what appears to be one on page two and him talking about legislating in real time. Also of note is that the screen Magnus is looking at in The Repository references the 1984/thought warfare thing.

One little thing bugs me though, how the hell did a doctor like Ratchet miss the fact that Ultra Magnus was actually a little guy in a suit of armor?
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

About flippin' time! I'm guessing this one's due for the 31st, as the 3-pagers (by way of itunes) usually come two weeks before the release.

---

Wait, wait, wait. Hold up...

I was...more or less right about Magnus? Really? Holy crap, I'm never right about anything in this book.

Will wonders never cease ;)

I for one am intrigued by this take on Magnus. Wonder if we'll learn what happened to the original? Must've been someone grand if Tyrest was inspired to have others fill the role.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Unicron wrote:One little thing bugs me though, how the hell did a doctor like Ratchet miss the fact that Ultra Magnus was actually a little guy in a suit of armor?
...patient confidentiality..?
Inaction Master

Post by Inaction Master »

Well that's one crazy fan-theory that proves to be correct.

So are we to assume then that all those other Magnus-moments back in #16 were each a different person in that... suit-body-thing (whatever it is)? Are we sure that Ambus has been the Ultra Magnus we've been reading about since his Spotlight debut issue?
nhy3888
Protoform

Post by nhy3888 »

I still don't understand why anyone could say that RID could compete, even remotely, with MTMTE. This is beginning to remind me of Warren Ellis' Nextwave, which was another ragtag collection of characters no one was doing anything interesting with. That didn't take itself too seriously either and was all the better and more imaginative for it ...heartily recommended.

So... was Dominus the original bearer of the Ultra Magnus mantle? Knowing what we do about his past as a campaigner for 'bots rights it would be a good fit for the origins of the Magnus character.

Any feelings of inadequacy Minimus has, in general and towards his spark brother, would make him easier to control by Tyrest. Plus I'm still thinking that the Magnus 'death' scenes were all minimus, who then had his faults (recklessness, laxity etc) beaten out of him by Tyrest. Although I'm happy to accept that the 'bots were different and Tyrest was exerting more control each time.

I'm also guessing Tailgate will be wearing Magnus by story's end, a cheat’s way of saving both characters at the same time as having both die in some form.

EDIT: That said perhaps the suit collates the experiences of it's previous wearers becoming it's own entity. A super learner in a super suit would make a potent combination, perhaps explaining the legislators (and Tyrest's) interest in Skids.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

"He took me to his cabin and he told me his secret. 'I am not Ultra Magnus' he said. 'My name is Ryan; I inherited the suit from the previous Ultra Magnus, just as you will inherit it from me. The bot I inherited it from is not the real Ultra Magnus either. His name was Cummerbund. The real Magnus has been retired 1500 years and living like a king on Nebulon."
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

I'm leaning towards Tailgate being offered to be the next Magnus but turning it down in the interests of Good.

He then gets saved in another way. Cant see him dying.

I agree with nhy888 about how much more interesting MTMTE is over RiD. I cant see how anyone can rate Rid over MTMTE - although some do.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Tailgate did also have to learn every last scrap of the autobot code which would surely stand him in good stead to be a Magnus?

After wading through the last 2-3 years worth of comics in just over 2 months (binge reading at its best) I have to say the worst thing about this comic by far is just how long I have to wait each month to read the next one.

I can honestly say I haven't anticipated new issues of any comic this keenly since I was getting the original marvel transformers ones nearly 30 years ago.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

How about, to completely shake things up, Rodimus takes on the Magnus armour? That'd be interesting if the armour retains character traits from previous wearers. Can't see Rodimus and Magnus sharing head space working out at all...
Wreck and Rule!
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

You know, with the odd turns and different takes on characters, I'm waiting for something really out of left field to happen, like Tarn turning out to be Orion Pax and Roller became Optimus or something.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

...And here's the full 7-page preview. From the same place as the last: http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/ ... iew/28013/

---

"Microscopic attention deflectors", eh? Well, that explains everything.