2014 Japan-exclusive toys: Masterpiece, Generations, etc

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

The clearer pics definitely help. I'm liking the looks of it a lot more. Just waiting on color pics now, and maybe from some more angles.
I'm kind of wishing the eyes were bigger, more like the cartoon, but I can live with it. May also be that the 'brow' is obscuring them some.
And is it me, or does that close-up on the head on the bottom left look like the back of the head, like it's reversible?

I'm totally fine with it not being a white Prime in a suit. To me that's not Magnus.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Unicron wrote:The clearer pics definitely help. I'm liking the looks of it a lot more. Just waiting on color pics now, and maybe from some more angles.
I'm kind of wishing the eyes were bigger, more like the cartoon, but I can live with it. May also be that the 'brow' is obscuring them some.
I noticed that too, and wasn't sure if it was just the prototype's flat grey playing tricks on me or what. But the bottom-left pic shows his eyes more clearly, and the eyes look pretty small there...nothing like the big, square 80s-motorcycle-cop-sunglasses eyes that Cartoon Magnus usually has. Though...
Unicron wrote:And is it me, or does that close-up on the head on the bottom left look like the back of the head, like it's reversible?
It looks to me like part of the front of the face has been removed in that pic, which suggests to me he's got different expressions like Starscream or maybe an alternate face like Bumblebee. Maybe a cartoon-accurate face that can swap out for a toy one?
Unicron wrote:I'm totally fine with it not being a white Prime in a suit. To me that's not Magnus.
That's okay, you're entitled to your wrong opinion. :glance:

Just kidding, obviously. This is probably the right way to go if you want to make the best Ultra Magnus possible. I'm just sad because the rumours had suggested we'd be getting a good Ultra Magnus and a version of MP-10 in one package.
Clay

Post by Clay »

The clearer picture still shows the MP10 in cab mode in front of the trailer, though. I'm confused as to how this thing works.

EDIT: I think I understand it now. The cab seems to be MP10 with alternate parts (legs) to connect to the trailer. So it's a remold of the cab ... maybe.
praetorian
Protoform

Post by praetorian »

From the top of the cab, it looks like there's a hinge that's not on MP-10, almost like the whole top flips up and over. Also, the smoke stacks look like they're of the same mold as the top of the cab, rather than being chromed like the front grille and bumper and tanks.

I think his face does come off. On that second face with the open mouth, it looks like there are two insert holes, a big one right above his brow, and the other smaller on the top of his head. Also, the angled part on the back of his head matches on both faces.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Truck windows don't seem to open. If you look at the bigger, clearer scan, the cab has much fewer seam lines than MP10 did.

It looks very close, but it's not the same mould. The article states the share something like wheels and grill.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Warcry wrote:That's okay, you're entitled to your wrong opinion. :glance:

Just kidding, obviously. This is probably the right way to go if you want to make the best Ultra Magnus possible. I'm just sad because the rumours had suggested we'd be getting a good Ultra Magnus and a version of MP-10 in one package.
I can understand wanting another crack at the MP-10 mold, I missed it first time around and wouldn't mind having it (and not that weird Year of the whatever version), but I think this is the right way to go. I doubt an armored up white Prime would have looked as good in either mode.
I think it's also the fact that for once Magnus gets to actually be his own mold rather than a Prime repaint with extras.
praetorian wrote:I think his face does come off. On that second face with the open mouth, it looks like there are two insert holes, a big one right above his brow, and the other smaller on the top of his head. Also, the angled part on the back of his head matches on both faces.
I think you're right. On closer examination, it does look like the face in the bottom left pic is after the removal of a chunk of head. That makes a lot more sense than my original 'spare face stapled onto the back of his head' conclusion.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

No little green moustached guy?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

MP Magnus up for preorder at omegalock. 125 pounds? Does it look too good to be true for you guys as well?

That's like, 5 pounds more expensive than TRU Horse Prime, and it's imported from Asia.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

inflatable dalek wrote:No little green moustached guy?
Give it a little bit, the 3rd party will come through no doubt
praetorian
Protoform

Post by praetorian »

More Ultra Magnus pics (clearer) and price:

http://tfsource.com/masterpiece/mp-22-ultramagnus/

Clear now that his legs are part of the trailer and the cab is a remold.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Knightdramon wrote:MP Magnus up for preorder at omegalock. 125 pounds? Does it look too good to be true for you guys as well?
The guy has feedback from people I recognise as customers of other TF stores -- I've gone with him for the red FT Soar, and am waiting on a PE Warden and FT Scoria. In both cases it's delays with the production company AFAICT. Plus stock will be probably be coming on the big and cost-effective boat consignments that companies such as China Post use -- things I've ordered off eBay from that area usually come within a short time of each other after about a month, if they're already in-hand.

Having links with the countries this stuff is coming from really helps; I've seen a few comments on other forums where people have business contacts or friends who are getting items quite a bit below the prices of any UK importer. Not particularly worried.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Osku wrote:Eh, Sideswipe seems like a good one to see if the line is to my taste. Couldn't resist the G2 symbol. :o

Bought one. Fingers crossed.
Been happy with G2 Sideswipe, surprisingly fun to fiddle with while reading etc.

Prowl next. This is a good price, right?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transformers-Ma ... 302465572?

Any info of possible Goldbug retool of Bumblebee? Very tempted by this unofficial toy. :(
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transformers-Ar ... 441555546?
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Yup, that Prowl price is right around regular retail I paid [maybe even cheaper].

Not entirely sure of it, but I *think* MP Prowl has been KO'd, so you might want to research that.

Clueless about that Goldbug toy you linked. Looks like a retool of the artfeather 3rd party release?

About MP Bumblebee to Goldbug, hasn't been mentioned at all. Probably unlikely.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Osku wrote:Been happy with G2 Sideswipe, surprisingly fun to fiddle with while reading etc.
MP G2 Sideswipe is pretty sweet, isn't he? He's smaller and less complex than the previous MPs, which makes him fall in the "really fun toy" pile rather than the "giant awesome display piece" one.
Osku wrote:Prowl next. This is a good price, right?
It's a great price for the real thing, but coming from China I'd wager it's a bootleg. :( Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as the bootleg MP cars are very high quality. Sadly I think the only way to get a 100% for-sure legit MP Prowl at this point is to buy directly from an importer and pay double what the eBay auctions charge, since most of the telltale differences between KO and original are really hard to spot unless you compare the two up close.

But if you're down with the bootlegs I'd bet you could find them for a few bucks cheaper from other sellers.
Osku wrote:Any info of possible Goldbug retool of Bumblebee? Very tempted by this unofficial toy. :(
No word yet. Bumblebee himself won't be out until the end of the year though, so a Goldbug (who you'd think would be a no-brainer redeco, but who knows?) won't be happening until 2015 at the earliest.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Warcry wrote:MP G2 Sideswipe is pretty sweet, isn't he? He's smaller and less complex than the previous MPs, which makes him fall in the "really fun toy" pile rather than the "giant awesome display piece" one.
Absolutely. I've transformed it already more times than my old MP OP, which I've had for years. :o

Well, Prowl did seem too good to be true.
Knightdramon wrote:Clueless about that Goldbug toy you linked. Looks like a retool of the artfeather 3rd party release?
It'd seem so, not that familiar with the different 3rd party groups. I'll go with that unofficial Goldbug I quess. My (hopefully soon to arrive) Soundmixer/Blaster could use a friend.

I do have FOC Blaster but it was big disappointment. Animal mode discs were IMHO terrible, robot ones boring and the launcher on Blaster's back irritating and barely functional. :(
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Osku wrote:Any info of possible Goldbug retool of Bumblebee? Very tempted by this unofficial toy. :(
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transformers-Ar ... 441555546?
Being a fan of the Classics design I got one because I like it more than the cartoon-styled Masterpiece Bumblebee... although I can see the official Masterpiece design working better for Cliffjumper when TT do him.

I've generally been impressed with current 3rd party stuff. The very first ones that hit the scene years ago were dodgy in terms of quality (Impossible Toys stuff, for instance) but things have moved on.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Osku wrote:My (hopefully soon to arrive) Soundmixer/Blaster could use a friend.

I do have FOC Blaster but it was big disappointment. Animal mode discs were IMHO terrible, robot ones boring and the launcher on Blaster's back irritating and barely functional. :(
Steeljaw and the orange bird aren't great, but having both the FoC Blaster and Soundmixer in hand I do kind of prefer the FoC headsculpt. However, Soundmixer scales very nicely with the original Classics Jetfire, who he's next to.
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

MP-10 Mode 'EVA'

Evangelion Optimus Prime? Certainly don't mind if I do.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Man, the color scheme on that thing is ugly. That's nearly G2 Stunticon bad
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Exclusive tokyo toy show bluestreak is...bluestreak in all gray car mode. Meh.