Transformers: More than Meets the Eye season two discussion

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Mainframe is just in shot too, he's at the very bottom left of the panel where Nautica says "Captain on bridge".

Its interesting how little was said about Ratchet's thoughts on Megatron's internals. All this dead space and micromachination that Shockwave's been up to with him should have fascinated the arse of Ratchet, Perceptor too probably, and Brainstorm... but they all just let him go about his business on The Lost Light?

Do all the 'shot-to-hell' internals signal the beginning of Megatron's link to tapping the power of a black hole as per his tech-spec and only referenced in issues 21 and 104 of Marvel UK? (Oo-er, nerd alert!).

I guess Rung counts as one of Megatron's significant encounters not because of Rung, but because of the events it kicked off. Although Rung being so neat about things, how did he manage to spill a drink on someone in the first place?

I must say though I do absolutely LOVE the cover of the next issue; Megatron and Tailgate striking the same pose. I wonder if Tailgate just has a natural ability to make weird friends, not to mention looking like the cutest Transformer ever whilst doing it.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Auntie Slag wrote:Mainframe is just in shot too, he's at the very bottom left of the panel where Nautica says "Captain on bridge".
P.H.E.W.!
ts interesting how little was said about Ratchet's thoughts on Megatron's internals. All this dead space and micromachination that Shockwave's been up to with him should have fascinated the arse of Ratchet, Perceptor too probably, and Brainstorm... but they all just let him go about his business on The Lost Light?

Do all the 'shot-to-hell' internals signal the beginning of Megatron's link to tapping the power of a black hole as per his tech-spec and only referenced in issues 21 and 104 of Marvel UK? (Oo-er, nerd alert!).
Aha, but didn't Shockwave come right out and say he had black hole powers in Roche's Spotlight? Seems like a painless enough retcon though.

I imagine something else happens in between his trial and his captaincy to set off all his internal portals. Maybe just rot? Shockwave would not have intended him to live this long.
I must say though I do absolutely LOVE the cover of the next issue; Megatron and Tailgate striking the same pose. I wonder if Tailgate just has a natural ability to make weird friends, not to mention looking like the cutest Transformer ever whilst doing it.
Really looking forward to having Tailgate back. I missed the little lady!
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

I find it curious that most people never remember Rung or his name and yet here it is he that forgets the first encounter where as Megatron remember it with clarity.

I think IDW have got all three series off to strong starts. Not everything clicks with me but Windblade is intriguing, RID is a massive improvement (even if the ending was a bit gick) and MTMTE looks to be back on form too. Good times.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Rung must have said that for a reason, to tease some extra information out perhaps.

Even reading over little bits of it this morning again, a totally classic issue.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Ohhhh, in terms of who Whirl was talking too...

Who is it that gave up everything so Rodimus could stay captain of the Lost Light and would likely be more than a bit miffed that he's been replaced already?

Who is an ex-Decepticon who had a hard time finding acceptance amongst the Autobots and would likely be more than a bit miffed that Megatron has not only managed to get an Autobrand but has been put in charge of his own former friends within six months when it took him millions of years to work up to being trusted as second in command?

Who is going to be a bit miffed and less happy chappy (assuming that at least some of that wasn't an act anyway) generally than the last time we saw them after being exiled?

Who spent most of season 1 on working on a sneaky plot with Rodimus?

I tell you, it's Drift. He's nearby and waiting for the right moment.

One thing I did really like about the issue I don't think has been mentioned yet: The fact Megatron knew Whirl was trying to play him and refusing to go along with it. It makes you wonder how much of what he said was true and how much was a psychological "**** you", and how they'd have fared if he'd been prepared to really fight back properly.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Terome wrote:
Prowl's long list of accusations is quite upsetting, really. We are not being asked to root for Megatron in any way,

shape or form. He truly is a monster. GUILTY!
I was worried how this was going to be addressed when images of Megatron brandishing an Autobot insignia first started popping up on the web....

Annnnd I still think it requires a HUGE suspension of disbelief. Even now I'm struggling to go along with the whole concept, as potentially fun as it is. I can image Roberts had a difficult time trying not to downplay Meg's list of crimes (the guy's "Space Hitler" as some have already dubbed him), but I think he's doing a respectable job and hasn't skimped over this too much.
Warcry wrote:
The brief introductions to the new Autobots were cool too, though Swerve was even more of an unlikable dick in those scenes than usual.
Also going along with Dramon, I just didn't see the point of Swerve's so-called 'prank' (aside from maybe paralleling to Red Alert screening folks in issue #1). Just came across as kind of mean-spirited and, again, pointless.

Sadly, Swerve continues to lose points with me.
inflatable dalek wrote: Also... that coffin sure looks like one of the ones they fired off into space after the Overlord affair. Has it been picked up and used as a protective shield by someone- either with luscious lips or a camera for an eye- that might have been floating about nearby?
Naturally, I fully expect to be proven wrong, but maybe Thunderclash is inside the coffin. It's kind of set up here.
Death's Head
Protoform

Post by Death's Head »

Who is it that gave up everything so Rodimus could stay captain of the Lost Light and would likely be more than a bit miffed that he's been replaced already?

Who is an ex-Decepticon who had a hard time finding acceptance amongst the Autobots and would likely be more than a bit miffed that Megatron has not only managed to get an Autobrand but has been put in charge of his own former friends within six months when it took him millions of years to work up to being trusted as second in command?

Who is going to be a bit miffed and less happy chappy (assuming that at least some of that wasn't an act anyway) generally than the last time we saw them after being exiled?

Who spent most of season 1 on working on a sneaky plot with Rodimus?

I tell you, it's Drift. He's nearby and waiting for the right moment.
Who's in the coffin...?
SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Terome

Post by Terome »

Drift is a good guess. My money was on Starscream but that's boring. Also, Dalek is the only human being who has read the Drift miniseries so he knows more about him than anyone.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Terome wrote:... human being.
Mate...
Terome

Post by Terome »

He's been making a convincing case lately, what with it being quite a while since he's read the Drift miniseries.
inflatable dalek

There was a Drift mini-series?
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Death's Head wrote:Who's in the coffin...?
Assuming it isn't something wacky like Overlord scrunched himself down to fit inside the thing, I'm actually thinking it might be Ironfist (assuming his coffin got spaced). Think about it, he's got the Aequitas trial data in his head. If that info can be extracted (by say a mnemosurgeon), it would be a terrible thing for the Autobots if it were made public in a non-controlled manner.

Either that or zombie Pipes. (Got a little sick, got a little shot, got a little stomped, got a little... BRAINS!)

Speaking of zombies, and on a serious note, are Kup, Nightbeat, Cyclonus, and Brainstorm actually properly alive again or are they on some form of death support now that the Dead Universe is gone?
inflatable dalek

Thinking about the Drift series... It did have that insanely OTT Mary Sue moment where Megatron brings Drift into the Decepticon fold and gives a speech to the other Decpeticons about how Drift is the most Decepticoney Decepticon of all time and even makes himself feel inadequate in comparison and everyone should strive to be like Drift from now on.

It's going to be hilarious when those two meet up again.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Just another note:

Not really quibbling, but more of an observation; I skimmed through Chaos Theory earlier and noticed that nearly the same committee (just switch Ratchet* with Xaaron and remove Bumblebee) deliberated over how to handle Megatron's trial the first time around. With the exception of Optimus, they all agreed that handling the trial internally would be a bad idea and that involving a third/neutral party would prevent the outcome from being rigged. Always made sense to me.

Okay, sure, the situation has changed since Chaos Theory (Rodimus and crew managed to piss off the Galactic Council and discovered that Tyrest is a loon), but now they've decided to do the opposite. And Optimus simply appoints himself as judge, which still, even after the events in Chaos Theory, seems really inappropriate. Especially considering how chummy he and Megatron have been recently.

I don't know... the whole affair is fascinating, don't get me wrong, but it still makes me kind of uncomfortable. How is this trial not going to be rigged?

Is everyone going along with Prime this time because they just want to get this done and over with?

* Also, since he's sitting in on this meeting, is Ratchet a member of High Command now? Does this mean he's finally handed the reins over to First Aid?
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

zigzagger wrote:Just another note:

Not really quibbling, but more of an observation; I skimmed through Chaos Theory earlier and noticed that nearly the same committee (just switch Ratchet* with Xaaron and remove Bumblebee) deliberated over how to handle Megatron's trial the first time around. With the exception of Optimus, they all agreed that handling the trial internally would be a bad idea and that involving a third/neutral party would prevent the outcome from being rigged. Always made sense to me.

Okay, sure, the situation has changed since Chaos Theory (Rodimus and crew managed to piss off the Galactic Council and discovered that Tyrest is a loon), but now they've decided to do the opposite. And Optimus simply appoints himself as judge, which still, even after the events in Chaos Theory, seems really inappropriate. Especially considering how chummy he and Megatron have been recently.

I don't know... the whole affair is fascinating, don't get me wrong, but it still makes me kind of uncomfortable. How is this trial not going to be rigged?

Is everyone going along with Prime this time because they just want to get this done and over with?

* Also, since he's sitting in on this meeting, is Ratchet a member of High Command now? Does this mean he's finally handed the reins over to First Aid?
I think whats changed is that the trial is as much for the cybertronians (nails). Previously, the trial would have been one faction in judgement on a member of the other, which could be seen as unfair thereby needing a third party. In this case, its the civilians judging a war criminal. So they dont necessarily need an impartial judge in this case.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

I guess part of my hang up comes down to that we pretty much know the outcome. We just don't know how the verdict is reached yet, how Optimus pardons the unpardonable. I really, really, really want to know.

I want to be convinced, but then that's me applying real-world logic, because from a narrative standpoint... it's a pretty entertaining set-up. Even if it requires the suspension of disbelief, I have to admit the concept of Optimus being the judge at Megatron's trial is pretty fucking awesome.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Kinda hope at some point starscream puts prime on trial. I think that could be very interesting and id like to see prime bounce off another decepticon. Maybe at some point all of prowls machinations are revealed and he claims he did it all under primes direction.

Of course we still. Have prowl and the constructicons possible clash with spike. I think that could be a plot worth pursuing.
Terome

Post by Terome »

zigzagger wrote:Just another note:

Yes, it is pretty cool that is the second, quite exasperated, attempt to organise a trial for Megatron. Your reasonings are sound and I'm also curious to know if Ratchet has been bumped up to High Command. One for the Twitter, maybe?

Prime seems a lot less interested in doing it right and more keen on it looking like it is done right at a glance. Though he's taken the title back he's clearly still rattled by the return of the NAILs and the loss of the Matrix. Add to that the fact that the guy he left in charge was a violent little jerk who started exploding heads and almost let Megatron piss over the campfire the minute his back was turned. I imagine the trip to Earth will seem to come as a welcome relief to the headache he's come back to.

Poor Prime. When Megatron referred to 'another one of your mid-life crises' he really nailed the guy, didn't he? He's gone all Steve Zissou. And like Steve, he's really got nobody else to blame but himself.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Primes going on an overnight drunk?
Terome

Post by Terome »

And in 10 days he's going to set out to find the shark that ate his friend and destroy it.