POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Over the past few weeks I've picked up a few things:

Generations Rhinox: He's bulky. He's green and brown. He turns into a rhino. My only real issues with him are his feet (mostly how they lock into place) and that he's back heavy. Other then that he's a pretty decent representation of Rhinox. I feel I should also mention he's got a case of the "ape hands", although that's not a big downside for me.

Generations Whirl: I like him. A lot. He's a nice blend of new and old. He looks so oddly alien and almost out of place. His absurdly fragile legs are annoying, but I don't even bother with the fragile joint and it looks alright.

AoE Generations Voyager Grimlock: I'm torn about this figure. I found him in the local Walmart a few days ago. His robot mode is pretty damned nice looking but his dinosaur mode is...meh at best. I'm not a huge fan of his lower jaw hanging off his rump or the dino feet on his elbows. I really do dig the armored "knight" like look he's got going.

PE-12 Assault Force X: Perfect Effect's take on Reflector in his original toy colors. It's a small set but I can't stop fiddling with the damned thing. It's by far my favorite buy of the past month.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

A transatlantic trade with that honourable gentleman of this parish Tantrum has resulted in me being the proud owner of Kreon Rodimus, Brawn, Wildrider & Cyclonus. A fine, fine haul. Tantrum is a pleasure to do business with as well. Thank you, kind sir. :)

I have also acquired a Kreon Sandstorm and cobbled together a Kreon Broadside from various spare bits and an Autobot sticker. That's all the Autobot triple changers "done" now, and the Kreon Wreckers are coming along nicely.

I'm now just looking for Kreon Kup and Kreon Wheeljack. If anyone has these and would be happy to do business with me, I'd like to direct you towards my B/S/T thread or my PM inbox... :)
Wreck and Rule!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I picked up AoE Deluxe Scorn a couple days ago. He's pretty neat...basically a Beast Wars toy in movie clothes, if that makes sense (the toy's design is basically a moviefied version of the first tyrannosaur Megatron). Good fun, and a nice happy medium for movie toys I think -- neither over-complex like ROTF toys or under-complex like DOTM. Whether that's a trait common to all AoE toys or just a happy accident I don't know, because none of the other new designs (from the first wave anyway) interested me at all when I saw them in-store.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yeah, if I was going to get one it'd probably be Scorn. Might have another look in TRU.

Not sure whether I mentioned Artfeather Goldbug or CHUG Inferno. Also got loose examples of the Starscream / Vector Prime two pack and they're neat alongside other figures that're to the same scale -- previously I tended to stick to deluxes, so the ones I had originally went.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Just picked up Generations Swerve & Flanker yesterday. I have no connection to the character at all since I don't read the comics, but I've heard good things about the toy and the mold looks neat. Haven't opened him yet, but I look forward to when I can crack open the bubble pack.

Saw Cosmos too, but I wasn't as impressed. Cosmos kinda looks cool, but I didn't feel like dropping the cash on him.
HotShot81
Protoform

Post by HotShot81 »

I am back from lands unknown, but I return with new bots for my collection. All of them I've been looking for locally for months.

I give you Megatron & Chop Shop, Legends
I give you Starscream & Waspinator, Legends
Finally Autobot Scoop, Deluxe size with comic.
numbat

Post by numbat »

I picked up AoE Generations Deluxe High Octane Bumblebee and Deluxe Crosshairs at a Toys R Us I passed yesterday.

I am surprised by both.

I had expected Bumblebee to be a retool of the DOTM mould looking at him (with a different shell and chest transformation), but he's not. He's a brand new mould. Although he follows the same general transformation idea Bumblebees have since Battleblades, there are some fundamental differences (such as his back collapsing to fit his legs in at an angle. All of the pieces are brand new too. He's quite fun, but sadly the new back transformation loses the waist articulation. And the new arms lack hand/wrist articulation. Ball joints have all been replaced with combinations of hinges and ratchets. Ratchets on something so small and at points spindly?! Think Generations Voyager Whirl. Think bad move. I have no idea why he needs tight ratchets in his spindly elbows for example... Bit the joints are all tight at least, unlike my floppy DOTM Bumblebee. Surprisingly, he also has more paint applications than the stock photos, as well as a better head sculpt. Weird. Sadly, he has a missile launcher moulded to his right arm which can't be removed, and looks a bit weird without the giant missile in. I prefer optional weapon accessories, or at least ones which look like they belong. All-in-all though I really like the figure - he's still the basic Bumblebee design we've come to know since he upgraded in the first film, but more different than either ROTF or DOTM by a long shot, and with a new colour scheme.

Crosshairs is all win. Really fun transformation (if a bit fiddly to do in reverse), again with more paint applications than on the stock photos (although lacking the silver knees), and just different. The level of complexity is on a par with the better Prime figures, so not overly complex but well thought out. The cloak works remarkably well, and is very poseable. I had expected this figure to basically be a cheat - fold out the car shell and there's the robot underneath (after all, Hasbro do that with figures where it's totally inappropriate, so why not when it pretty much is?). Not so - there's more going on here. Both modes look awesome, and the guns are a nice bonus (thank the Great Mongoose Mechtech is dead!). Shame he doesn't have waist articulation, and could do with a ball joint for the necj rather than just swivel.

Both figures are smaller than DOTM Deluxes though, which is a little disappointing, especially given the price hike to £14.99.

And Hasbro really needs to learn how to transform its own toys if not before taking stock photos then at least for the instructions! Crosshairs is a shining example of how terrible Hasbro are at both, while Bumblebee doesn't get off scot free either.

Anyway, I seem to be at odds with most people here in looking forward to seeing how the other AoE figures turn out. If they're of the same style as these two, I think I'll really be liking this line very much. Prime (fave Transformers toyline to date) style engineering with Movieverse designs is a winner for me.

Although I am inclined to pick up characters that matter more to me from Japan, given the way better paint applications on most (but not all), and the fact these figures are poorly available in the UK and at high prices already. I'll probably get any good cars here though - doesn't look like the paint apps vary much on those.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Warcry wrote:the toy's design is basically a moviefied version of the first tyrannosaur Megatron
Mmm. Shame about the pricing, if they weren't such a rip-off I'd be inclined to get a few of the characters to leave in dino modes -- although not sold on Grimlock at all.

Scorn's also got a bit of a bearded Chinese dragon thing going on, and the sails are removable for anyone who prefers a more T-rex-like figure. Fun stuff, but probably the only thing from AoE I'll be picking up.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Target had the Ultimate Beast Hunters Prime Mega Huge Optimus on clearance for $18. I couldn't pass him up at that price. I haven't had a chance to open him, but half the family is gone for the weekend, so I might catch up on some of my backlogged stock.

They also had the Construct-bots on clearance for 70% off. The kids like these, and that's a pretty good price. The Target exclusive Abominus set was down to $7. I bought one for a gift at $12, and am debating if it's worth the $5 to try to hunt down the receipt. :)
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Got my first 3rd party item since... that Reflector that turned into an almost realistic camera. For comparison reason Fansproject Rodimus Prime armor add on and FOC Blaster.

Soundmixer from Unique Toys. Pleasantly surprised with plastic quality, a bit smaller than I thought, but displays just fine.

Robot mode is gorgeous and alt mode is... what it can realistically be (read: useless, but it's not designer's fault). One of the toys that will be transformed few times and left in robot mode.

Tape turns into a weapon, which I really liked s an idea. Add on armor pieces (think of Shockwave from BH Prime) and propably the megaphone weapon will be kept in the box.

I''ll need to fiddle with it more. :D
Notabot wrote:They also had the Construct-bots on clearance for 70% off. The kids like these, and that's a pretty good price. The Target exclusive Abominus set was down to $7. I bought one for a gift at $12, and am debating if it's worth the $5 to try to hunt down the receipt. :)
Did they happen to have Sky Lynx (Skystalker recolour)? If yes, I'd be interested in $12 Abominus and Sky Lynx. ;)
Clay

Post by Clay »

Osku wrote: Soundmixer from Unique Toys. Pleasantly surprised with plastic quality, a bit smaller than I thought, but displays just fine.
I have their Galvatron (Mania King), and for a new company they're doing great. I thought the Blaster looked neat too, but I'm strangely happy with the FOC version.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

I got a few Kreons (and a dragon) in a trade with Rack'n'Ruin. I also bought all 12 Wave 5 microchangers and 4 Wave 4 Microchanger combiners this weekend. I found some Construct-Bots (Blitzwing, Soundwave and Starscream) and Kreo Devestator on clearance.

I also picked up the new mini Construct-Bot Lockdown. Apparently, he's scaled to ride Construct-Bot Dinotbots, but I don't have any to check how well tat works. He's pretty good on his own, though. He has ball joints on his shoulders, hips, knees and ankles. The car mode is solid and rolls pretty well for something with snap on wheels.

I got AoE Scorn and Slog. Scorn is better, as Slog's beast mode doesn't have much useful articulation. I still like Slog, though. The way his swords stick out of his sides in beast mode is ridiculous, but somehow works.
numbat wrote:Crosshairs is all win. Really fun transformation (if a bit fiddly to do in reverse), again with more paint applications than on the stock photos (although lacking the silver knees), and just different. The level of complexity is on a par with the better Prime figures, so not overly complex but well thought out. The cloak works remarkably well, and is very poseable. I had expected this figure to basically be a cheat - fold out the car shell and there's the robot underneath (after all, Hasbro do that with figures where it's totally inappropriate, so why not when it pretty much is?). Not so - there's more going on here. Both modes look awesome, and the guns are a nice bonus (thank the Great Mongoose Mechtech is dead!). Shame he doesn't have waist articulation, and could do with a ball joint for the necj rather than just swivel.

Both figures are smaller than DOTM Deluxes though, which is a little disappointing, especially given the price hike to £14.99.

And Hasbro really needs to learn how to transform its own toys if not before taking stock photos then at least for the instructions! Crosshairs is a shining example of how terrible Hasbro are at both, while Bumblebee doesn't get off scot free either.
I'm on the fence about Crosshairs. In box, his head is almost covered by the trunk. Does the trunk actually fold away? And, there's been a few times Hasbro has foreshadowed who the repaint will be in the instructions. Does the head in Crosshairs' instuctions look like Nightbeat? I'd guess him as the repaint due to the coat kibble, and would probably wait for the mold as a character I actually had as a kid.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
numbat

Post by numbat »

Tantrum wrote: I'm on the fence about Crosshairs. In box, his head is almost covered by the trunk. Does the trunk actually fold away? And, there's been a few times Hasbro has foreshadowed who the repaint will be in the instructions. Does the head in Crosshairs' instuctions look like Nightbeat? I'd guess him as the repaint due to the coat kibble, and would probably wait for the mold as a character I actually had as a kid.
Yes, the trunk of the car folds down to form a backpack which does not break the silhouette of the head. The instructions don't include this step, but it is clearly intentionally designed to fold down. The instructions also miss that you can store his two wee pistols on inside his coat, and you can also use the same slots to store them in Corvette mode (again missed by the instructions).

With the coat billowing (there are hinges on a few parts, including the rear which in photos just looks like it hangs down), and the rear of the car properly folded into a backback, Crosshairs has a really cool look. I've taken a photo with my phone (about to head off for some wild camping for work, so my camera is packed just now), which isn't the best, but hopefully shows Crosshairs looks a lot better than Hasbro manages!

I'm afraid the instructions show Crosshairs - they don't give any indications who the mould may be used for as a repaint, if one ever appears.
Attachments
photo.JPG

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Thanks for the info, numbat. On a related note, I just picked up AoE Crosshairs. I haven't opened him yet, as I have that huge stack of Kreo stuff to go through, and I'm still fiddling with the dinobots quite a bit. But, I wanted to get him while the store's 25% off all toys sale was still going on. If you're in southern New England, Benny's has deluxes for $11.25 thorugh tomorrow (Wed).
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
numbat

Post by numbat »

OK, so after realising that Leader Class First Edition Prime and Generations Leader Class Prime are the big offerings for Prime's new AoE look and not just a joke, I ended up deciding to pick up the Generations version. I waited for the Hasbro release only to find it lacks much paint and looks pretty terrible, so ended up ordering the Takara version. Whatever else you could say about AD-01 Optimus Prime, he's certainly been given a lavish and gorgeous paint job! He's extremely shiny with a mix of silver paint and chrome.

The truck mode is certainly nice (and has rubberised plastic tyres), although the rear cupola section is a bit hollow. It's nice that his sword stores under the truck, although there's nowhere sensible for the shield. The mode looks a lot more solid than the ROTF Leader Class Prime did as well.

My reaction to the robot mode remains mixed. It has a huge amount of detail, which is really brought out by the silver paintwork (and he also has flames on his chest, unlike the Hasbro version). In fact he is way more detailed than any other Leader Class figure I have. He's also well articulated (including his thumbs). But he does still have a huge amount of kibble hanging off his back, which could certainly has been designed to fold away. The side skirty flappy bits by his waist are attached to the backpack rather than his waist, which is a bit weird and awkward too. But he does look nice on display, and is certainly a change from the previous movie design.

The transformation is pretty simple, but good fun, meaning I will actually transform this guy for fun, unlike ROTF Leader Prime. So I guess it's a balance thing.

The nice shininess does make me consider tracking down some Buster version of the ROTF mould though... It's amazing how good a nice paintjob makes a figure look, and if AoE Prime looks this cool, ROTF must look awesome! Certainly glad I went for the Takara version, compared with the Hasbro one anyway!

Also items on eBay.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Got Animated Activators Dirge as a gift yesterday.

Takara version, b!tch.

Pretty nifty, first seeker activator I got from animated. Expressive and articulated, though I wonder why on earth does he have flip out wheels for the jet mode if his crotch is always sitting lower!

Very weird collecting year---nearing the half year mark shortly, and I haven't bought a -SINGLE- figure myself.

I've gotten a grand total of 2 figures, both gifts from my brother in law.

I'm either "growing up" or have an illness I don't understand yet :lol:
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Springer's still twenty quid from Kapow at the moment, BTW.
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

I just snagged Swerve with Flanker, and Cosmos with Payload today; very sweet figures. The expression on Swerve's face is priceless. It definitely fits the character. I just wish his head was on a ball joint so that it could turn from side to side. Cosmos is damn near perfect. A great update to one of my first Transformers toys.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Tramp wrote:I just snagged Swerve with Flanker, and Cosmos with Payload today; very sweet figures. The expression on Swerve's face is priceless. It definitely fits the character. I just wish his head was on a ball joint so that it could turn from side to side. Cosmos is damn near perfect. A great update to one of my first Transformers toys.
I also picked up Swerve tonight! Now I can hear those familiar with me wondering "Why did you buy Swerve when you hate the character?" And indeed, even though I thought it looked like a good little toy I was originally planning to pass on it in favour of the inevitable Gears redeco. But then we actually saw Gears, with his shitty unpainted head and not at all remolded chest, and I decided that I'd much, much rather own a toy of that jackass Swerve than that. So here we are.

I agree with you on the head mold, it's perfectly fitting. Cheaping out on head articulation is dirty pool, though. I guess Hasbro figured it was pointless it have a joint in there since it's kinda awkward to get your fingers in there to pose the head anyway, but it's already on a hinged joint so it's not like it would drive the figure's cost up any.

Aside from that I think he's a pretty good little figure. He's not as good as Cosmos but then Cosmos is great so that's no shame. The finish on these little guys is very good -- both Cosmos and Swerve have more paint apps than a lot of Deluxes I've bought lately. It's a great size class for Minibots too, and I'm hopeful that they'll continue on with them for a while (though I'd be just as happy to see the little Targetmasters dropped, as they add very little to the whole package -- they're terrible Transformers and not very convincing as guns).
Clay

Post by Clay »

I bought the Kreo G1 Grimlock set at Toys R Us yesterday. Haven't had time to fool with it yet, but it looks like it'll be fun.