Third party toy discussion (stuff that's been released)

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Read that interview last night...kind of confusing.

Makes it sound like the guy we saw at AA [not Cid, the other guy] only did the preliminary design [where he's almost everywhere credited as the guy that did the whole figure]. And it definitely reads as if Griffith is not really happy with Predaking at all.

Generally do not get a good vibe off him, maybe that's just the medium of the interview.

Really looking forward to their Nova Prime [auto purchase, but come on guys, it's been over a year since the first CADs].

On a similar notice, people with the Mech Ideas Ironfist and Crankase...do not move the legs. They break off. Consistently break off at the thigh swivel.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Knightdramon wrote:Read that interview last night...kind of confusing.

Makes it sound like the guy we saw at AA [not Cid, the other guy] only did the preliminary design [where he's almost everywhere credited as the guy that did the whole figure]. And it definitely reads as if Griffith is not really happy with Predaking at all.
And now he said it's too chunky while almost everybody screamed it's too chunky during their design process?

Anyway, finally opened my Tigris and it was a totally fun figure stand alone. Shifting the shoulder is a pain though. Way too tight. But now, I finally get a chance to combine that Predaking. It will be today! :clap:
Clay

Post by Clay »

I didn't get any impression that he was wholly unhappy with it, but just that he liked the Ox studio design more (slimmer, taller, etc.). Personally, I prefer the bulkier version that was actually made. Unique Toys made their Warlord a fair bit slimmer, and I passed on that one partly because of it.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Combined the whole thing. Even just standing there without posing, I stared at him for a long while and he already made my jaw drop. Totally worth it. :headbang:
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Played around with my Black MMC Sixshot a bit...

Do we know what use there is for the wheel swivels on his arms in -any- mode? I checked all official pictures online and on the box, and you don't have to use the swivels to get the wheels out of the way in any mode, nor do they actually inhibit movement at all.

Green chrome off the weapon handles has started peeling off big time on mine. Understandable, since they basically wedge in on his hands and any socket he uses for storage/plug in at any mode, but damn if they couldn't be handled better [ie maybe never chromed at all on the handle].

Those of you going for the Hexatron Continuum release, mind you, the guns on that one are chromed as well!
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Knightdramon wrote:Do we know what use there is for the wheel swivels on his arms in -any- mode? I checked all official pictures online and on the box, and you don't have to use the swivels to get the wheels out of the way in any mode, nor do they actually inhibit movement at all.
The only time I used that wheel swivels is in the winged wolf mode so the wheels kind of stay hidden behind the legs.

Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Same with me, but still that's not on the box or the crappy instructions. Hmmm.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Warcry wrote:
Nah, I want a Sixshot toy, not some random 99% black sixchanger dude. It'd be a choice between the original and the new, G1-ified release, I think. :)

I find the original's Drift-swords random and baffling, and don't like how the scabbards look. On the other hand, the original guns look way nicer than the chromed ones on the reissue. I'll probably end up getting the new one just because of the price, if I go for it.
Finally figured it out! The swords and slicey-disc-things are more for the Shadow Maru version should MMC ever get to that.
Paul053 wrote:Combined the whole thing. Even just standing there without posing, I stared at him for a long while and he already made my jaw drop. Totally worth it. :headbang:
Yeah, he's pretty overwhelming. I just put mine back together yesterday after having the group in a robot ensemble for a while. Still super impressed with the whole project. :)
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Clay wrote:Finally figured it out! The swords and slicey-disc-things are more for the Shadow Maru version should MMC ever get to that.
That news was long ago, wasn't it? There is another one which is Greatshot. I wonder MMC either forgot about them or gave up on them since this mold had two repaints already.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... ru-173232/

Yeah, he's pretty overwhelming. I just put mine back together yesterday after having the group in a robot ensemble for a while. Still super impressed with the whole project. :)
And I separated them last night to beast mode. :) Now I actually feel their individual beast mode is the weakest one. Leo Dux and Tigris are awesome, though.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

In my opinion, the mould only works as Sixshot. [My] The black one looks less gaudy than the others.

Bought MMC's black stealth azalea from BBTS. UK'ers, it came to 86 GBP shipped.

Almost twice as much as the regular version costs from a UK vendor, but given the exclusive nature, I just went with it.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Could really go for a Nautica colours repaint of Azalea, with a few mould tweaks.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I have to say, with my third party collection ever growing, it's nice that the only ones that have really underwhelmed me were the Auto Assembly exclusive plumber set which was just nasty toys.

With Quakewave, it's genuinely hard to see how Takara could make a better masterpiece Shockwave.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Knightdramon wrote:In my opinion, the mould only works as Sixshot. [My] The black one looks less gaudy than the others.
It looks just fine as Greatshot, IMO, but I'm honestly not sure there's much market for that. Even by third-party standards he seems ridiculously obscure at a $150 price tag, and I don't know how much interest there would be from the fandom at large. The cult following that the Japanese shows had a decade ago seems to have pretty much died off these days. Aside from a handful of big names like Star Saber or Overlord or Dai Atlas (who've all transitioned into Western media) I'm not sure many people care about the Japanese characters anymore.

The fact that they chose to rerelease Sixshot with slight tweaks before exploring other characters suggests that MMC don't see much money in Greatshot, anyway.
inflatable dalek wrote:With Quakewave, it's genuinely hard to see how Takara could make a better masterpiece Shockwave.
For starters, they could make sure that their toy looks something like Shockwave from the waist down. I honestly don't know how Quakewave's designers could have spent so much effort getting the upper body just right, up to and including transparent purple hands like the original toy, but slapped on such a generic set of blocky, bulgy legs. You were so close, guys!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The legs work for me. Obviously I've only ever paid attention to the purple one eyed monster bit of Shockwave.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Warcry wrote:The fact that they chose to rerelease Sixshot with slight tweaks before exploring other characters suggests that MMC don't see much money in Greatshot, anyway.
Accepting what they say at face value, the driver was the KO.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Denyer wrote:Accepting what they say at face value, the driver was the KO.
Wait. People are actually making knock offs of third party stuff? Something about that strikes me as funny
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yeah, quite a few oversized KOs by this point, plus regular sized ones of popular things like the FP 'Insecticons' and Magnus/Rodimus armour.

As with rare official stuff, I don't think there's much justification for complaint if the originators are relying on artificial scarcity and not keeping things in circulation.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Put some of the posts about future stuff over into the news thread. My fault for getting off-topic...

http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?t=51817
Denyer

Post by Denyer »