Chat Thread

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Clay wrote:I know my friend listened to the audiobook version of at least one of the Game of Thrones books. He said it ran for about 33 hours or somesuch.

EDIT: Found it! It's actually almost 34 hours...
I think the shortest one so far has been 27 hours. I started listening about 2 years ago when I had a 16 hour car ride by myself. I've been listening when alone in the car ever since. Since we moved, though, I don't spend nearly as much time in the car, so I started listening while running on the treadmill with a "Couch to 5K" program. That's starting to fall through too, though, because I'm reaching a point where I really need some energizing music to get me to the end instead of gory deaths and heartache. :)

Which brings up a new topic: What's some music you like that would be just terrible for "Get Pumped!" workout music? I had my full library on shuffle one day for a long bike ride, and it punished me with a stretch of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Tori Amos, and some ambient Dead Can Dance. That was the day I made the "Workout" playlist.

I did have to giggle when it played Skinny Puppy and Enya back to back, though.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I like most genres, so random just doesn't work for driving, working out, etc. Prefer to listen to stuff I already know and like a full album of for in the car -- not many big straight roads in this country.

Metal/rock/punk are good for exercise. Buckcherry, Sabaton, Less Than Jake, etc. Something with a bit of momentum.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Notabot wrote:Which brings up a new topic: What's some music you like that would be just terrible for "Get Pumped!" workout music?
Hahahaha, so much of it. So much of it is utterly terrible for that. Staind. Older Staind. I don't listen to it anymore, but it'd be pretty horrible for that. Probably just as much of stuff I have/had listened to would be well suited, though. I have an unabashed (... well, maybe not completely unabashed) love of old WWE theme songs, any of those is pretty much awesome for that. Some Disturbed would work as well.

Imagine Dragons would be badly suited, first time listening to this album is right now and dood, so far it's as good for me as the last. This is joy, I've been listening solely to audiobooks (and children's songs) for the past few weeks.

[edit] actually, some of this might be pretty good for that. Ah well.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

In the pub for a relatives birthday meal where we've made the mistake of booking the same night a loud-if harmless-soft rock band is on. One of the four groupies dancing a bit too enthusiastically is dressed like she goes to Hogwarts for no readily apparent reason. Her rock cock hungry friends were just dressed like close to middled aged women keen to meet the band.

And then when I get back to the flat, Splinter from the Turtles goes past me on rollerskates. Has the world gone mad?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

inflatable dalek wrote:One of the four groupies dancing a bit too enthusiastically is dressed like she goes to Hogwarts for no readily apparent reason.
It's nice to have these occasional reminders that the world isn't completely shit.
Sades

Post by Sades »

YES, YEEEEES. I mean, Yes.

Those were subtle. I think there might have been some ladies in those videos?

Oh, yeah! I know people are probably getting tired of baby crap but I gotta say that we took the young'un to the pediatrician yesterday for a checkup, She's three feet tall, 32 pounds and not yet 2. I think she is officially a giant.

(But, y'know, not, like Andre. Just really tall. I'm being stupid. Goddamn you, brain!)
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I've been to a beer festival! where I live! I had nice beers :) beer beer beer nom nom nom

...now I am home and one of the cats has done a big stinky poo.

Sades! Your kid sounds AWESOME! She will rule us all. Because she is a GIANT and we will cower before her might.

For getting pumped up..? Um, I like a big old rag tag of stuffs...really fond of Ministry Of Sounds 'Mash Up Mix' series, if only because to my ears it sounds like proper dj-ing with songs being chopped and cut and pasted and mixed in and out of each other, instead of someone just having figured out how the cross-fade works.
Sades

Post by Sades »

More like she'll be awkwardly tall until high school, like her mum. :o Those were fun times. Opposite.

I entered her current height, my height and Hound's height into a height predictor thinger for funsies earlier today and it "predicted" her height will be 5'9. :lol:

I hate my husband right now, because he got to go to something awesome that we were both supposed to go to but we couldn't find a sitter and now he's telling me about it and it's just making me hate him more. :p Hate. Hatehatehatehate.

I'm going to drown my sorrows in Elder Scrolls fan songs on YouTube now.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Denyer wrote:It's nice to have these occasional reminders that the world isn't completely shit.
To be fair, she might have been an actual school girl just ravaged by the horror of living in Stourport.

Bit of local humour there.

My cousin insisted on my watching the short comedy videos her boyfriend (and who gets a Valentine's Day card where they're 11? I'm 33 and haven't had one yet!) has put on YouTube. My suggested viewing list is now full of small children.

And Sades, Hound and Tom both talk about and praise their children publicly to exactly the right amount as decided by me, the official adjudicator of such things. Compared to some of the bores I know, you all clearly have some sense of perspective.

And Warcry better follow the same pattern.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Sades wrote:I think there might have been some ladies in those videos?
Rule of thumb with dance music - the more like a cringe-inducing male teenager's fantasy, the better the tune.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Sades wrote:Oh, yeah! I know people are probably getting tired of baby crap but I gotta say that we took the young'un to the pediatrician yesterday for a checkup, She's three feet tall, 32 pounds and not yet 2. I think she is officially a giant.
She's outgrown Metroplex already?
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Ok...random stuff around, trying to tie it all together...

@Notabot re workout music---Robert Tepper's "No easy way out" from Rocky? "Never say die", Iron Eagle? TFTM soundtrack? Basically most 80ies cheese music that plays in heroic/workout scenes from films can do.

@Dalek---the book a pub for an occasion on the same day as a local artists does their gig has happened to me as well. Managed to get a kick out of it though and got a happy birthday live song/dedication to me, so it was not all bad. As for Valentine's, those cards are so overrated and so 70-ies/80ies it hurts. The kind of stalker-ish appeal behind it [a secret admirer who "loves" you and knows exactly where you live to sent you a card] creeps me out a tad :lol:

@Skyquake---which beer festival was that? Mustn't have been very far from here. Not really keen on festivals like that around here though---it's astoundingly silly how people get piss-drunk SO fast. It takes me hours with pints of beers and maybe some proper spirits mixed in to get hardcore drunk, yet people are on the floor literally pissing themselves less than an hour after that? :lol::lol::lol:

@The GOT books---I enjoy them. Only read the first two so far [reading at literally a snail's pace with other books between], but liked them way more than the show. Much like the Walking Dead, this feels like an alternate "what if" scenario after a point.

@Videogames---Currently playing Omega Ruby on 3DS. My current PC here is so crap it lags if there's a lot of pics on facebook, so that's out of the question. Can't really say I can commit to gaming any longer. Gone were the times I'd spend 9 hours playing Tekken 3 on PSX because I had no memory card.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Knightdramon wrote:@Skyquake---which beer festival was that? Mustn't have been very far from here. Not really keen on festivals like that around here though---it's astoundingly silly how people get piss-drunk SO fast. It takes me hours with pints of beers and maybe some proper spirits mixed in to get hardcore drunk, yet people are on the floor literally pissing themselves less than an hour after that? :lol::lol::lol:
Saltaire beer festival. Right on my doorstep, about 5 minutes away from my house :)

It's a decent craic the Saltaire one. Interesting how the clientele has changed over the last ten years. When I started going, it was all old men in tweed and barbour jackets with red faces and extravagant facial hair. These days, its much more mixed and diverse, with loads of younger people going. Prices are well cheap compared to pubs though, so I don't doubt that's a big pulling factor. I had some nice beers, which all had names and everyone was well behaved.

Just killing time waiting for my girlfriend to recover (she went out afterwards and is currently yodelling a rainbow down the porcelain telephone) so we can go see In This Moment, whom I am quite excited to be going to see :)
Sades

Post by Sades »

@The GOT books---I enjoy them. Only read the first two so far [reading at literally a snail's pace with other books between], but liked them way more than the show. Much like the Walking Dead, this feels like an alternate "what if" scenario after a point.
Yessss. Definitely enjoying the books a bit more than the show. But I've only watched to the end of the first season so if spoilers drop I might chew someone's head off... though since that is impossible over the internet it's more likely I'll be mildly annoyed. :p

I am enjoying reading/listening to the books and enjoying watching the show at the same time. I need to grab some time for more actual reading, though. Curling up and chilling for an hour or two with nothing planned, nothing that needs doing and no one needing me for something and just reading sounds amazing.

(Not that I don't get time like that... but when I do, I'm usually half-assing it by putting something off to extend it. Like cleaning, cooking or sleep. :lol: Like right now, kid is sleeping and I'm sitting here at the kitchen table listening to music/typing... meanwhile the floor is covered in rainbow coloured foam building blocks and the kitchen sink is full of dishes. They need to make blocks that pick themselves up, srs yo.)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Sades wrote:Yessss. Definitely enjoying the books a bit more than the show. But I've only watched to the end of the first season so if spoilers drop I might chew someone's head off... though since that is impossible over the internet it's more likely I'll be mildly annoyed. :p
Gandalf comes back and it's all a dream Crystal's having.
G1Optimusprime9
Protoform

Post by G1Optimusprime9 »

I just got back from spending the weekend at ferris state University a few hours ago (this thread is doing good)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sades

Post by Sades »

G1Optimusprime9 wrote:(this thread is doing good)
And now, it dies. :o
G1Optimusprime9
Protoform

Post by G1Optimusprime9 »

Sades wrote:And now, it dies. :o
No!
dont kill my thread
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

G1Optimusprime9 wrote:this thread is doing good
No, Superman is doing good. I believe this thread is doing well. :)
I need to grab some time for more actual reading, though.
Earbuds and dishes have gotten me through a good number of chapters.