Latest Music Purchases.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Best Buy had some $2 albums, so I picked up an Alice Cooper Greatest Hits and an Aerosmith greatest hits. I had forgotten how great a lot of those Alice Cooper songs are! And I had forgotten how adequate many Aerosmith songs are.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Skyquake87 wrote:F,L&A is a good record, but personally I like that the Sisters really push their sound on Floodland.
Feels a bit like an album designed by committee, though -- not as spontaneous as its predecessor. I like Steinman with Meat Loaf and quirky things such as Tanz der Vampire, and This Corrosion's fun enough, but there's not enough punchier material like Lucretia across the disc as a whole. Although having said that, First and Last isn't as strong in the second half as the first until picking up at the end.
Notabot wrote: I had forgotten how adequate many Aerosmith songs are
Yeah, I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing kind of ruined them for me a bit... but still have fond memories of Get A Grip and Nine Lives, and should probably revisit those.

Can't go wrong with a bit of Alice Cooper.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

heh. Alice Cooper. Do y'know, I really like The Last Temptation of Alice Cooper. Its not his best record, but I like it for the concept and the whole Marvel Comics team up.

Went to see him live ...about 9 years ago, I think. He did the full stage show, dancers, blood, snakes, the lot. It was brilliant. Went on for bloody hours as well, so you definitely get your monies worth out of Alice. I really appreciated that he did that. I got so fed up going to rock and metal gigs by US bands growing up and forever hearing about how they have an awesome stage show, only to find out they couldn't be arsed a lot of the time bringing all that stuff with them. Its fair enough, it'd probably cost and arm and leg and when you're touring smaller venues, its totally impractical, but still...

Anyway! What else have I bought recently...?

Ministry 'Filth Pig' (1995)

Honestly, after 'Psalm 69', this isn't quite as strong and its an album more noted for the circumstances in which it was made - AL Jourgenson was divorcing his wife and the FBI raided his ranch off the back of an NME interview - but its still a good listen (and better than 1998's 'Dark Side Of The Spoon') with the superb 'The Fall' at the heart of it.

Machine Head 'Burn My Eyes' (1994)

Still ace debut album that's largely credited with kick starting the modern era of metal (its not really - its just that Machine Head have been on the go long enough that all the contemporaries have largely faded away).

They Might Be Giants 'Flood' (1990)

Thanks to lead single 'Birdhouse In Your Soul', this is the album that propelled the two Johns Flansburgh and Linnell into the limelight. Their, quirky folky alt-rock means the big pop sound of 'BIYS' sticks out like a bit of a sore thumb on this album. Its a favourite of mine for a couple of the songs featuring in an MTV spoof episode of Tiny Toon Adventures.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

A soundtrack album ' Doctor Who - Series 5' (2011)

Anotehr double -dip of Murray Gold's stirling work for Doctor Who, this one actually works the doule disc expanded format a lot better than 2010's 'Specials' soundtrack did. I'm putting that down to the galvanising effect of a new Doctor though. This is a great double disc and its again, the episodes that you don't really pay attention to having the better music. The stuff for 'The Beast Below' and 'Vampires Of Venice' is just brilliant. Sadly, the signature Eleventh Doctor tune 'I am The Doctor' just sort of ...doesn't go anywhere and sort of limps to a finish. It has the problems I noticed with some of Gold's 'Master' suite stuff - it builds to a logical crescendo, but then feels the need to carry on with a quieter bit at the end which then sort of half-heartedly tries to build before it just stops - its like listenign to someone getting really distracted by something interesting going on outside. Shame, as I like that piece of music when it shows up for 11 on the telly.

Sultans Of Ping FC 'Casual Sex In The Cineplex' (1993)

Brilliant album of ramshackle indie-punk from Cork's gobbiest exports. Perhaps a little unfairly tarnished with the 'novelty' brush thanks to early '90s indie disco favourite 'Where's Me Jumper?' (sensibly enclosed as the last song on this album), this record shows that amongst the silliness were some proper good tunes - 'Veronica', 'Give Him An Inch And A Yard Of Grass' and 'U Talk 2 Much' all showing the sort of sharp eye for detail as Contemporaries Carter USM. Just without a drum machine. And funnier.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

The Very Best of the Rolling Stones (1964-1971) - Picked up cheap at Target because I abruptly realized how much I actually like the Stones. Can't say I'd ever have described myself as a fan, but looking at the track list, I realized how many really good songs they released during this period, and how much I wanted a copy of this CD for the car.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Thought I'd just finished ripping discs acquired in 2014, and then found a bunch apparently from 2013 I'd only gotten as far as getting rid of the cases for.

Taking a break from random Amazon Marketplace purchases. Might start doing quick reviews whilst going through what I've just ripped...

edit:

Currently listening to Emma Marrone -- Sarò libera (Sanremo Ed.)

Emma was Italy's entry in Eurovision 2014 with La Mia Città (I'd guess this has been in at least one car advert by now) with a live performance that unfortunately didn't quite live up to the recorded version I'm about to link to and I don't recall getting a lot of support; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si9K0ChHzDI

Throaty, often belting vocals but there's still a mix of styles in evidence on her 2012 album. Would be equally at home as a soundtrack for working, chilling, cruise ship lounges, respectable burlesque acts, etc.

Sample tracks:
Non E' L'Inferno -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMzNxA81qmE
Cercavo Amore -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmJBCfPDjlE

edit2:

Heartless Bastards -- All This Time

The titular track has wonderful building sections, from a slight susurration to ominous rumble that breaks into vocals you could cut glass with and is too good to listen to just once in a session. The opener leads with piano. Despite that, or perhaps because of, it's still essentially gnarly Midwestern rock with a club/garage feel. I think I found out about them via The Word magazine (which used to be a good travelling read), then Fat Possum's website, then going through a downloads folder of odds and ends years later with a fairly methodical intent to either get albums or delete stuff.

Sample tracks:
Into The Open -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um1auB6nbmI
All This Time -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw43OsPk854
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Just found what I said last year about not buying more stuff to add to the pile in 2014. Well, whoops. Think I averaged a CD or two a week for a couple of years, plus things received from various people. This may take a while to catch up on, but there's some random interesting unknowns collecting in the ripped folder.

Titus Andronicus -- The Airing of Grievances

Picked up on the back of a track played recently on Elementary. Enthusiasticly slurring shouty rock/punk with harmonicas and other wind instruments thrown in. Ignore the more pretentious song titles and lyrics and treat as a party album and enjoyable listen, even if there are a few tracks with slower and longer lead-in or lead-out later in the running time. Probably best saved for when everyone's buzzed or stoned. They sure do love their walls of sound.

Sample tracks:
Arms Against Atrophy -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7AfEpvKOFY
Titus Andronicus -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KniCoepfBWE

Rockbitch -- Motor Driven Bimbo

Over to Wikipedia: Rockbitch was an expat, British, mostly female, progressive metal/goth band, best known for performing nude and incorporating sexual acts and Pagan rituals into their performances.

And the album's a lot better than you might think from that description. It's very 90s rock night throughout, lots of purposeful chunky guitars, beats and synth. Wanders and gets a bit repetitive and indulgent by the mid-point, particularly Innocence, but picks back up with Essex Girl and closer Diva is a genteel change of style and palate cleanser.

Sample tracks:
SNAFU -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J47gOlIWmfM
The Church -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC-DZzZgfUA
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Rockbitch! They sound awesome :) Always wondered what they sounded like, too much was given over to the stage show in the music press to get a handle on what they actually sounded like. Their newer stuff I've been watching on You Tube seems pretty great too ... their official website seems to suggest they're no longer a going concern though. I'll have to keep an eye out for Motor Driven Bimbo :)

Meanwhile...

In This Moment 'Black Widow' (2014)

A slightly frustrating album as it starts off so strongly with a few thundering great wallops in the shape of 'Sex Metal Barbie' , 'Big Bad Wolf' and 'Black Widow', but then it veers off into terrible rock balladry ('Sexual Hallucination') and the sort of struggle against the odds banality you get from an X-Factor single ('The Fighter'). The worst are the self indulgent 'Into The Darkness' which features a full minute of crying and 'Out Of Hell', which tells the tale of a joint teen suicide. Or something. ITM are definitely at their best when going for the jugular, as proven on ...

In This Moment 'Blood' (2012)

Blimey. This is a proper ace record. ITM probably wont win any prizes for originality, but I'll take some assured and confident metal over some arty 'challenging' fare any day. There's a glorious pop sheen present throughout the album which more serious metal fans may sneer at, but everything from title track 'Blood' through 'Adrenalize' to closing track '11:11' is killer. Little wonder Atlantic Records snapped them up after this effort.

Taylor Swift - '1989' (2014)

Rightly lauded as one of the best albums of 2014, through just being incredible fun. Its a bold, brassy pop record and I find the singles work better here, as part of the whole, rather than out on their own. Its a savvy move from the former alt-country star Swift, at a time when the charts are getting ever more clogged with folky troubadours of one gender or another, this is a welcome splash of colour in what has become a very drab mainstream music scene full of music to make adverts to.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The documentaries (well, the ones they had creative control over) seem more genuine than sensationalist. Incidentally, Amazon might give the impression that MDB is rare, but there's a couple of copies on eBay at the moment for less than three quid.

Have just found something claiming to be the unreleased second album, Psychic Attack:
http://mir.cr/FTGCHAHB / http://www.multiupfile.com/f/d5149848

Not had any joy finding MT-TV CDs or albums. Hopefully they'll do Bandcamp at some point, it's ideal for keeping cultural history in circulation.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I think that's one of the reasons they kind of fell by the wayside, they were '4 REAL' as Richey Manic would have it, but all people have done is go "ooh naked ladies" and that's bypassed everything else (probably not a huge surprise - its not like GWAR are particularly memorable for their music, either). Always a problem for those whom walk the talk.

Snapped up a copy of Motor Driven Bimbo (so thank you for the pointer) and may give their official site (complete with downloads) a proper going over in a bit. Not sure if that sounds rude.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Second album's a real grower. Much more eclectic. Definite purchase if it makes it to release a decade plus on. Overtones of Wildhearts riffs, dance+metal/indie, etc. as well as quieter bits.

Any recommendations for a GWAR starter album? IIRC the first copy of Metal Hammer I got had, as well as an article on the then-imminent release of Endless Nameless, the Wildies' most wall-of-noise release, an in-brief release of something GWAR had been doing at the time that concluded "unmitigated arse, and the first person to write in can have my copy for nowt". Should dig that out.

edit:

Marit Bergman -- 3:00AM Serenades

Had this for a few years but as it's a second favourite album (Baby Dry Your Eye being fantastic, and neither is to say I Think It's A Rainbow is a slouch) I haven't listened to it in ages. Can't understand why she doesn't seem to be better known.

There's a theme here in what I consider easy listening and other people don't necessarily... a lot of it's either rowdy noise (which this isn't... er, mostly) or strong female vocals (which this has). If you only listen to one track, go for the twee buzz of Let's Just Fall In Love from Baby Dry Your Eye, but there's a great streak here of energetic pop/punk beginning with You Did Not Love Me At All (sadly can't find on teh tubes) that kicks back in with Nightlife through to the end. And lovely quieter stuff too.

Sample tracks:
To Brazil -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0dCtlWNG0M
This Is The Year -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FIXOQuhi_U
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

So after years of being fairly indifferent to him, I've decided to give Elvis a bit of a go, starting with the compilation of all his UK number ones (well, up to A Little Less Conversation anyway, he may have had more since).

His voice really is brilliant, and when he's on form he really sells the song even though, for example, I doubt he ever spent much time in the gheeeeeetto.

The classic songs everyone knows are all good fun, with Jailhouse Rock especially being fantastic (I'm not sure how it works in the context of the film, but it seems to be all about the joys of gay sex in prison. "You're the prettiest jailbird I ever did see". And I thought the King was a right wing nut. No wonder he wants more spunk in A Little Less Conversation), and of the less often played today stuff for some reason I really like Marie's the Name) His Latest Flame as well.

I'd also had no idea he'd sang the Cornetto song. In fact, there's two songs on here that sound quite like the Cornetto song. Which shows up one of the weaknesses of only listening to his hits, there's more than a few songs on here that feel as if someone (the Colonel?) said "Yea hah, people liked that song, let's do it again! Now let's have a barbecue and lynch a black man!". Most obviously Stuck on You just sounds like All Shook Up with different words.

Even when not sung by Gareth Gates, Suspicious Minds is a TUNE. Though, whilst I like the way the single version fades out as if it's ending before suddenly coming back up again as if he's going "No, wait, I'm still pissed about this!", I think I prefer the Fat Elvis live version used for the music video. Mainly for the mad ad libbed bit where it's hard to tell if he's dealing with a heckler or is vamping whilst he tries to remember the words ("Stick it up your nose").

Though I'm amazed that Always On My Mind, regarded by all right thinking people as his best song, wasn't a UK number one. What's wrong with this world? Did people really like the one where he tries to sing in German more?

IN THE GHETTO.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Denyer wrote:Any recommendations for a GWAR starter album?
Er, no. They're all pretty terrible death metal style shout-a-thons. Probably not a good analogy for me to have used. Divorced of the costumes and foam and larks of their live shows, their not really worth listening to. It's just humorless 'space alien' metal that's trying too hard, IMO. Green Jelly did this kind of cartoon metal much better.

Also: Endless Nameless is my favourite Wildhearts album. Love it. Shame they've disowned it, as I think its the best thing they've ever done.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

They've played odds and sods from it live over the years, I just wouldn't hold my breath for an anniversary tour for it like Earth Vs.

I love it, and looking back on writing about it ten years ago not much has changed. Great album, great set of b-sides and hanger on tracks. It's my go-to calming down album.

Last undergrad year of uni a flatmate bought a **** off huge set of speakers, and the floors were made of concrete. The drop in Anthem was like being punched in the gut.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Heh. Brilliant. I'm glad they play some bits of it. When I saw the Wildhearts (c.2003), none of the stuff from this album made it into the set. I know it was a difficult period for the band (as well as Danny's problems, they also had a difficult and unhappy relationship with Mushroom Records), so I can understand that its a chapter they perhaps tend to gloss over.

Well, lately I've been listening to a lot of Big Beat and that hip-hop/ funk inspired breakbeat stuff that was all the rage in the mid-to-late 1990s and that's lead me too finally get around to the following:

DJ Shadow 'Endtroducing' (1994)

One of those 'seminal' albums that everyone does nodding head/ stroky beard nods of approval for, which invariably leaves me a little disappointed as albums that are put on a pedestal rarely live up to the plaudits for me. This album is like that. I dunno, I was just hoping for something a little more fast and furious, and less... pfft, somewhere between the progressive noodlings of Underworld and Lemon Jelly and the hip hop stylings of the Chemical Brothers (whom were doing this kind of thing at the same time under the guise of the Dust Brothers, before the Americans of the same name politely asked that they change their name) and Monkey Mafia. Probably awesome if you're stoned. Don't get me wrong, its a great listen, but not stop the bus amazing.

UNKLE 'Psyence Fiction' (1998)

An album thats undergone a reappraisal in the last 10 years to be now recognised as a work of genius, which probably says more about the sorry state of dance music today than anything else. This team up between James Lavelle (of Mo' Wax) and DJ Shadow has an awful lot of drumming. It's honestly not hard to see why it was panned at the time. Envisioned as a multi-media 'assualt on the senses', it turned out to be less than thrilling, with tuneless mooing from Ian Brown and Richard Ashcroft over some shuffling beats. A lot of the songs are just there, with only the handy signpost of some well placed samples to tell you when one song has ended. Also does that annoying thing of needlessly padding out its running time by featuring a vocal free version of Brown's track, but just gives it a different name. Yeah, you can't kid a kidder.

Freestylers 'We Rock Hard' (1998)

Risable album title aside, this is a solid (if slightly too long) debut. Its busy, energetic and makes you want to dance! I love the big chunky breaks, loops and scratching. Heavily indebted to old-school Electro and early hip-hop, this is nevertheless a great little record that wears its influences proudly on its sleeve. And avoids using samples from Eric B & Rakim, which has got to be a first. Freestylers also chucked out a few cracking mix albums too...featuring some familiar looking giant robots...

Hardknox 'Hardknox' (1999)

What Lindy Layton of Beats International did next. Fantastic noisy cathartic album, which brings some of the aggression and fury of metal and the sharpness of rave sounds to the somewhat cosy sound of Big Beat. Perhaps the most progressive act in the pantheon of Big Beat artists, and the most creative and invigorating. A fantastic record that deserves wider appreciation. My copy is also signed! I was quite chuffed to notice that. They also did a brilliant remix of Faith No More's 'Ashes To Ashes', which is worth checking out.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

And in other news...

Rockbitch 'MotorDrivenBimbo' (1999)

Picked up from what Mr Denyer posted, this is another great album from the late '90s UK metal scene (so many great bands that just fell by the wayside from this era, Pulkas, Vitro, Rico, Bullyrag, Tampasm, Dust Junkys, Manbreak...I salute you all). As mentioned upthread, the music and everything else about this band has been sadly overshaodwed by what they got up to onstage, proving that sometimes, you just can't have your cake and eat it. This is nevertheless a cracking little record that predates the sort of halfway house between industrial and metal inhabited by some of today's hot young bands.

Katy B 'On A Mission' 2011

Not sure what Katy's mission is. Bring listlessness to dance music? Dunno. A strangely sedate and understated sounding record. It bobs along nicely enough without going for the jugular. The songs seem to be about the spaces between the sounds, which sounds daft, but I can't think of any other reason why this album sounds as ...sort of intriguing as it does. Lyrics are total pish, all the usual lost love/ i need you cobblers that crown every chart banger the world over.

Little Mix 'DNA' (2012)

Debut from latest group off the production line of Simon Cowell's soulless music factory and possibly his attempt to do Girls Aloud and The Sugababes all in the same band without realizing that already exists (The Saturdays). Its shiny, bright and fun and everything a good pop record should be. Just not particularly memorable. Its one of those albums thats by that band whose song you remember liking and it was pretty popular at the time, but you're f**ked if you can remember whom sang the damn thing. The girls deserve better.

Jamie T 'Carry On The Grudge' (2014)

I've got a lot of time for Jamie T, as he's one of the few male solo troubadours that isn't an insufferable dullard churning out over earnest songs destined to be used on adverts for agreeable small cars or Homebase bank holiday sales. I think this one is a grower, as they say. There's less of the ramshackle charm of his earlier stuff and no obvious stand out singles, just a neat collection of solid songs that sound like someone recovering from being utterly wrecked in a squalid bedsit with just 50p in small change and half a packet of fags to their name, whilst some milk goes off in the fridge. In Croydon. Love the (unintentional) UKIP baiting cover with a lady breast feeding in the gloom.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

and to prove I'm not a total misery guts...

Smash Hits '80s Annual (2014)

Listening to this reminds me of being at a school disco, y'know before School Disco happened and became a thing. A few years ago, I bought a big book called 'The Best Of Smash Hits : The '80s' and thought it was such a shame they didn't include a CD of some of the artists covered in the articles reprinted in the book. Good job I am a paitent man, because nearly ten years later, here we are. Although a faultless and unashamed collection of mainstream 1980s pop music, it does feature some annoying ticks of todays compilations by having a third 'themed' disc. Here its songs from the movies of the time - which at least means we get Starship's awesome 'Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now' and shut up because oh yes it is(from in no way creepy wish fulfillment film 'Mannequin', which has got be the oddest song choice - too much cocaine in the office that day that they decided a big rock song was what was to be the signature song on the soundtrack for this queasy love story) - and also having to download the booklet as an annoying PDF file. How is that supposed to work, exactly? I've got a physical thing, but if I want to amuse myself looking at the sleeve notes, I've got to switch my laptop on. Like all old people, technology just leaves me baffled sometimes. Especially where other old people in charge of large corporations have totally misunderstood said technology. Its probably just some thoughtless cost cutting exercise...which makes it all the more miserable.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Skyquake87 wrote: Freestylers 'We Rock Hard' (1998)
I thought I was the only person who had this album or knew of its existence! I found it in a pawn shop for a dollar, and knew the song Ruffneck from the Zoolander soundtrack (I think). I figured for a buck, it would be worth it, and I was not disappointed. A little generic at times, but good fun and rockin' good beats. Great album to do the dishes by. (Yeah, I'm hardcore.)
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Britney Spears: The Ultimate Collection.

She's probably never quite topped the sheer pop genius of Baby One More Time (insane to think it was offered to 5ive first. Though that might explain the very British reference to the offside rule) but has had lots of great fun energetic pop hits.

Not hugely keen on the post Toxic stuff or some of the ballads, but still enough entertainment for my ears overall.

Though listening to a lot in row makes you realise she really likes to say her own name at least once in most songs. Helpful if you hear it on the radio and the DJ can't be bothered I suppose. More worryingly, on a couple of them she gives her full name as "Britney Bitch". Must be from one of her marriages, no wonder it didn't last and she really should have thought through the implications of taking it on as he performing name.

I still love you though Bitch.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

GooglePlay had Beck's "Morning Phase" for 99 cents. Great album, but just not a Beck album. Very slow and mellow, missing that frantic craziness that I like about Beck. It does sound a lot alike on the first listen, but starts to stand out a little more the more you hear it. Kanye's a moron.