Third party toy discussion (stuff that's been released)

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Not answering direct questions at the moment. Got a couple of pre-orders outstanding that will hopefully be fulfilled post-CNY before HMRC come down like a ton of bricks if there's anything dodgy going on, but looking for another UK retailer carrying Omnigonix if you spot one.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Denyer wrote:Not answering direct questions at the moment. Got a couple of pre-orders outstanding that will hopefully be fulfilled post-CNY before HMRC come down like a ton of bricks if there's anything dodgy going on, but looking for another UK retailer carrying Omnigonix if you spot one.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Will keep an eye out if any come in. Best bet is Masterforce, and maybe Sid for new-ish 3rd party companies.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
numbat

Post by numbat »

I've managed to track down all of Mastermind Creations Feralcons except Fortis now. So, shamelessly plugging, if anyone comes across a Fortis or is offloading one please let me know so Feral Rex can form in my house!

:)

The real reason I was posting though was a question: is there some way to connect the weird axe/gun thing that forms from Leo Dux's lion tail and chest in robot mode - perhaps to his arm as a gun? I haven't worked it out yet, but I hate random spare parts... That said, I do think Leo Dux (not-Razorclaw) is the weakest of the set anyway... (Not that that's bad - the standard of the Feralcons is extremely high!)

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Here you go:

numbat

Post by numbat »

Thanks Clay! Applied to Leo Dux on my desk, and it pleases me greatly that all of the parts of his alternate mode can now be stored in robot mode.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Yep! I do wish the chest pieces stored a little more snuggly, but the tail pieces definitely have notches that connect to the cannons like that. Although, if you have Leo Dux hold his big axes, you can just put the chest pieces at the ends (in the same way that they form the big sword). But that, too, is a little clunky. But that's a minor complaint. The fact that a combiner-sized sword can disassemble into weapons for the smaller robots (and actually all look like weapons!) makes the compromise worth it for me.
numbat

Post by numbat »

I think any combiner teams necessitate compromise. So far, I'd say the Feralcons have the least compromise though, compared with any others I've seen. And if the main compromise is in the weapons (which is still very minor!), seriously, they've done a bloody amazing job!

Can't wait to track down an affordable Fortis to complete Feral Rex, but I'm loving these guys as individuals just now anyway.

Thanks for convincing me to go for them - it's a big financial commitment, and probably the majority of Transformers spending for me this year, but you do get excellent value for money with these guys. Way better than the equivalent three or four Hasbro Combiner Wars teams you could assemble for the same price. I thought they'd fit with Classics/Generations style figures, but they're at home with Masterpiece.

Also items on eBay.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

If anyone's still after a briefcase for the Hastak Brainstorm...

http://www.shapeways.com/product/6S2QWB ... brainstorm

http://i.imgur.com/TBo0Pi5.jpg
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I wonder how long it'll be before someone does an "Evil" head with the removable faceplate?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Clay

Post by Clay »

Finally uploaded some pictures from the actual camera...

Now, to continue a train of thought I had a month ago, a third option for third party G1 Devastators is easily the most elegantly simple: an articulation kit for G1 Devastator. Mine is the most reasonably priced version, a kit coming from Junkion Blacksmith**. Cost was around $30 and includes an extra head and purple mixing drum for the cartoon look, but I like the toy-style head more.

ImageImageImageImage

Basically, it's an accessory set that gives Devastator an actual waist and upper legs along with some articulated lower arms and a new head. Works great, and Scrapper has great stability. It was trickier to get Mixmaster balanced, but I managed.

ImageImageImageImage

Oddly enough, Devastator is great at dynamic poses but is absolutely terrible at static poses. Even with the original parts, Devastator is a bit heavy toward the back, but the kit exaggerates the effect.

ImageImageImage

It really should have had a couple of pieces to clip into the feet to make them longer in the back. Nothing fancy, just something to keep it balanced. Buy why pose Devastator standing straight when he can be stepping on things?

But the best thing about the kit is that it works with the original Constructicons. The argument that they don't look like themselves falls flat.

ImageImage

So here's the big green shelf at the moment:

**CrazyDevy also make add-on parts, but charge $40 for their versions of each individual item pictured above!??!?!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Works really well.

Must take an updated Wreckers shot soonish, have added Revolver and Turbo Ejector.

Not entirely sold on Cubrar. The Hero Mashers Slug I'd put with a mix and match set of voyager 3P dinos as a joke actually displays better, particularly with original Classics Grimlock in there as well with the rage of Hercules kit gun. They've got a ragtag A-Team vibe to them. Cubrar's just too damn big compared with the rest, even compared with Columpio. Even though I do actually like the semi-Animated look for variety.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Now for some Feral Rex super mode pictures!

ImageImageImage

He's very heavy, but still balances okay. He has more weight to finagle, but the wings as counter balance are still the key.

ImageImage

I also like how, by sheer chance, MMC stumbled into the Combiner Wars theme of having more members than it actually takes to make the combined mode. This frees up Talon.

Ultimately, I still prefer the five original Predacons to compose Feral Rex with FeliSabre just being a separate member. He fits better on the shelf that way, too.

ImageImage
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Denyer wrote:Must take an updated Wreckers shot soonish, have added Revolver and Turbo Ejector.
One rubbish tablet pic coming right up...

numbat

Post by numbat »

I finally got round to putting Mastermind Creations Feral Rex Ultimate Mode together yesterday.

I bought Felisabre/Catilla as a stand-alone, and wasn't too into the idea of him being part of Feral Rex/Predaking - although I did like the concept that he was once a Predacon.

I have to say, though, the combined mode looks really good with Felisabre as an arm - it balances the colours out very nicely! I also like that the battle mask covers the sabretooth tiger head, and so also the Autobot insignia I added, leaving only Decepticon insignias on show.

I am quite amazed at the stability even with this massive combined mode - with care and patience you can still pose him brilliantly. I'm getting the hang of which joints to use as load-bearing now too, which is making a big difference to poseability. I've not had to add the friction pads either - he stands fine.

In fact, Feral Rex survived an an encounter with my one year old son today quite happily!

I can't say how impressed I am with Feral Rex - he could well be the best 'Transformer' ever.

:clap:

Also items on eBay.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Had a chance to fiddle with MMC's Cynicus [Vos] yesterday.

Sister was lucky enough to get him from PSX on release at the low price.

Not many things wrong with him, very small and can be quite fiddly. Extremely articulated, which could be an issue later on as his entire torso and surrounding limb joints are mostly ball joints.

Did not have a chance to attempt gun mode, but looked finicky. He basically turns inside out.

I am sorry my resolve had weakened for MMC :lol:
Will need to start playing catch up and investing on their figures again.
Clay

Post by Clay »

numbat wrote: I can't say how impressed I am with Feral Rex - he could well be the best 'Transformer' ever.

:clap:
I'm an enabler!
Denyer wrote:One rubbish tablet pic coming right up...
Oooh, neat. Who's between G2 Sideswipe and Sandstorm?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Rack'n'Ruin -- FP Riftshot and Recoiler with the L/R arms partly disassembled and joined by a couple of twist ties in the middle. Probably my favourite "this exists" 3P thing.

Must get around to getting some cloth to drape over the sponges. They make good adjustable risers.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Got two figs after a long drought period...

MMC Cynicus: Takes a while to get used to. Just throw the instructions away. Useless. Wonderful robot mode with tabs for everything. Gun mode has tabs too to lock all parts. Instruction booklet of course misses half of them both ways.

Handle for Feral Rex can be integrated in both modes, but for robot mode it will not sit on the backpack unless you unclip at least one part and make it wobblier than needed. Impressed so far, looking forward to Kaon.

MMC Salvia Prominion: Won't lie, got this because because she compliments the upcoming Nova Prime. Out of all the Arcee repaints, this one gives you the most bang for your buck. Has all Arcee weapons plus her hammer. Many painted surfaces all over. Unique masked headsculpt.

Transformation is not as hard as everybody has made you believe, but it has its moments. I found that getting the head through that waist flap at the back to be very easy, but getting the legs and arms properly pegged and aligned was a bitch the first time. Everything, and I mean everything, swivels and rotates and does something, so you are unsure if you are untabbing something you need or doing something else altogether.

Mixed feelings for both so far, but they are solid figures.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I have to ask (and not in an accusing way), but if you had paid $20 for them, would you be more disappointed? I know that when I pay big money for something, I'm a lot more likely to force myself to like it. I think a number of 3rd party toys wouldn't get such good reviews except that people have paid so much for them, they need to like them at least a little.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

I probably would be, yes. Or maybe not. Don't know.

They have good points and bad points [a bit fiddly for their size, and some tabs etc are scary considering how small but robust they are], and at the price I paid I'd rather have them be more meaningful, yes.

3P toys are an oddity. Most of the folk that do previews get them for free and basically give good reviews [I don't care what people say, but I have seen literally CRAP review samples that fall apart on camera get good reviews---see apollyon for instance] to maintain a link to the company, and the people that get them feel that they need to justify the cost as you say.

Living on my own for the past couple of years has made me try harder and harder to justify the prices on some figures. [Example] MP Magnus cost me 88 pounds retail, plus shipping. TT releases a figure like that almost annually. I can justify such a price as a one off because it is a huge, honking figure, etc etc.

If I had gotten Vos from the UK he'd cost 70 pounds. And he reaches to about Magnus' kneecap, and probably weighs less than that. So yes, sooner rather than later there will be a point where I'll just realize I have all the figures that I actually want, and there's better things to spend 80-100 pounds+ on a monthly basis :lol: