What TV shows are you watching thread.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I just started watching The Returned which we taped off the telly via the magical black box flight recorder and its right good so far :)
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Anyone been watching Stephen Universe?
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Steven Universe is pretty great. I like that they've gone a bit into what makes Fusions work. Their success seems to be less about how alike the components are than whether or not they can compromise on their differences.

It's more in depth than G1 gestalts, where Menasor was nuts, Computron took a long time to think, and the rest were varying degrees of dumb. Then again, 2 Gem Fusions seem to work out better than Fusions with more members. Maybe a 5 Gem Fusion would be as much of a wreck as Menasor.

Better Call Saul makes a good compliment to Breaking Bad. Where BB was about how easy it was for Walt to choose the wrong thing, BCS is more about how hard it is for Jimmy to do the right thing.

iZombie seems like it should be spelled I, Zombie. It's combined Tru Calling's morgue assitant supernaturally helping corpses with a bit of Dollhouse's different memories/personality traits every week. Maybe someone figured that they could combine two failed Eliza Dushku shows into one successful show if they left Eliza Dushku out of it.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

iZombie is also based on the short-lived DC/Vertigo Comics series by Chris Robertson and Michael Allred (off of Madman), which ran between 2010 - 2012 and was ... average. I didn't make it past #9 - good call on the Dollhouse/ Tru Calling thing - I hadn't noticed that when reading the comics. Maybe its because of the whole eating brains thing...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

My X-Files rewatch has reached the episode BBC2 made a big fuss out of (to the point of showing it out of order) as part of their mini-relaunch for the series that was their Paranormal Night.

This was a big thing at the time, but sadly someone clearly thought "Oh, there's an episode with British people in it, that'll be a good one to make a thing of" without actually watching the bloody thing first.

So Mark Shepard- who you'll know from being in Every SF/Horror TV Show You've Ever Seen- who has an odd speaking voice at the best of times (being an Englishman who has lived in Callifornia for years seems have given him the accent of a drunk Australian) goes completely and utterly nuts with him "I'm the bloody caretaker now" tones that veer all over the world and never manage to be the same two sentences in a row. It's insane.

Then the actual script about British people on fire seems to be written by someone who knows nothing about either the British or fire. "British Minister of Parliament" being a glaring balls up in the first five minutes.

Throw in Mulder's never before mentioned and never mentioned again arsonphobia (I had to look that up as I'd have gone "Pyrophobia") and the episode is a comedy classic.

The best thing in it is Gillian Anderson, who is both delightful (love her pure undiluted sarcasm for Mulder's Girl of the Week) and does a better British accent than anyone else in the episode with just one line.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Sades

Post by Sades »

Hound accidentally deleted the rest of my Life Story documentaries and the viewer on CBC isn't working. BUT I just discovered them on Youtube. Yay!

Currently "watching" (More like Hound is watching while I glance up from the internet once in awhile :p ) the Kamen Rider/Super Sentai/Space Sheriff etc etc movie. It kind of reminds me of Doctor Who somehow.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Haven't been watching too many TV series lately (Burn Notice was the last thing that I watched from beginning to end, and even then it was mostly on DVD). But one thing that I've really been getting into this year is The Flash. I really didn't expect to like it after the same showrunners turned goofy arch-liberal Green Arrow into Batman with a bow. And I'll be honest -- I only started watching because Blackjack told me that Firestorm was in it (I inexplicably love Firestorm almost as much as I inexplicably love Martian Manhunter and Red Tornado.) And then when I found out that Victor Garber had been cast as one of his alter-egos I absolutely had to see it, since he's just about my favourite character actor ever. I still expected it to be terrible, though.

But it isn't! In fact, the show is bloody fantastic. The character and his supporting cast are so goofy that I couldn't figure out how they'd adapt it for "serious TV", so I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw that they basically didn't. The show is just as silly as the comics, filled with terrible punny names, nonsense superpowers, zany time travel scenarios and talking gorillas. And I love it!

Of course, it definitely helps that the entire cast is doing a good job, especially Tom Cavanagh and Jesse L. Martin. And then on top of that they fill the show with brilliant guest stars like Garber, Clancy Brown, half the cast of Prison Break (I cannot overstate how awesome Wentworth Miller is as Captain Cold) and Mark Hamill.

Oh, I guess we've been watching Gotham too, but I basically forgot it even existed until just now, so obviously I'm not particularly in love with it.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I've heard that Gotham turned out to be ass. I'm so very not into watching TV live. I think the only thing I watched on a television religiously while it was airing was this last season of Doctor Who and that's about the only show I would do that for.

I prefer DVD or Netflix to get my fix of TV shows if I can. Except for Kamen Rider which I have to watch via the "Methods Network".
Sades

Post by Sades »

Hound wrote:I've heard that Gotham turned out to be ass. I'm so very not into watching TV live. I think the only thing I watched on a television religiously while it was airing was this last season of Doctor Who and that's about the only show I would do that for.
What about Wipeout? PEOPLE FALLING AND SHIT. BIG BALLS FOR LIFE.

Well, assuming it ever comes back from hiatus. :(

Documentary time.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I have watched Code Of A Killer on ITV. Because John Simm is in it and that's usually a sign it'll be worth watching and also because it tells the real-life tale of the first person caught through DNA profiling, Colin Pitchfork whom raped and murdered two teenage girls. Quite a timely drama as well, as our government looks to sell off our National Crime Lab - whom do all the forensic science stuff for UK police forces - off to the private sector. Because everything else we've hoofed off to the private sector has worked out just fine and dandy. I wonder sometimes if governments realise that by privatising and privatising and privatising everything, there soon becomes absolutely no point to government. Just as well large corporate entities all have our best interests at heart, or we'd really have problems...
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Hound wrote:I've heard that Gotham turned out to be ass.
I wouldn't say that it's actually bad, but it's certainly nothing I'd miss if it went away, either. It's more in the "something to watch if I'm bored" category.

It has a few really good actors who rise above the material (Penguin and Harvey Bullock are both great), but it's mostly forgettable and at times I think it skews way too close to a generic Law & Order-esque police procedural. Oh, and Jim Gordon is probably the least-interesting Bat-character of them all, which means that the supporting cast is always outshining him.
inflatable dalek

WIth Leo G. Carroll having popped up in the last two Hitchcock films I've watched, I've a real hankering for some The Man From U.N.C.L.E now, but sadly it's only had a proper DVD release in the states in an overly expensive set and I'm not paying for Amazon downloads (generally I only go for stuff free with my Prime membership). Hopefully the film will see a decent UK release...

Yeah, this post should go in the "What TV shows aren't you watching?" thread, but WHATCHA GONNA DO?
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

I like Gotham enough to keep watching it, but not enough that I could really recommend it to others. From the first few episodes, I got the impression that the main story was going to be Jim Gordon's somewhat successful efforts at fighting organized crime and corruption weakening the normal criminals enough that the Rogue's Gallery types could take over, creating the need for Batman.

Maybe that's still the plan, but I can't tell if there's any plan anymore. At first, Jim was investigating possible mob connections to the Wayne murders, so everyone was in the same story. This past Monday, Bruce, Jim, Penguin, and Fish each had completely separate stories. One thing that makes Fish interesting is that, as an original character, there's more uncertainty as to her fate, which creates more tension. The flipside of that is if Fish's story isn't relating to the others, it just seems like a distraction.

Gotham's given me an appreciation for how TF handles continuity between iterations of the franchise, in that they don't. Sure, Optimus is usually a reknowned hero, but this time he's a washout running a bridge repair crew. One version of Sentinel Prime's just a jerk, another's a traitor. It gives the TF writers more flexibility than Gotham's writers may have, where the biggest change they make is to the characters' civilian names to make their supervillian identity more obvious.

If you are interested in Gotham, Episode 5 has an in-universe recap of the main arc up to that point. Episode 7 is one of the best they've done so far. So, if eps 5-7 don't do anything for you, you know this show isn't for you.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

The Netflix Daredevil series is superb, just for the record.
inflatable dalek

Warcry wrote:Oh, and Jim Gordon is probably the least-interesting Bat-character of them all, which means that the supporting cast is always outshining him.
Well, to be fair he was extremely interesting when Gary Oldman was playing him, successfully managing to hold his own against much more flashey characters. It's a shame the show (from what I've seen, didn't get past the first one so he may have improved) has gone for an actor a long way down the quality scale.

After a bit of a break, I've jumped back into the Adam West Batman show. I'm finding it bizarre that for the second Mr. Freeze they've decided to give him a COOL (arf) catchphrase of "Wild", which he says repeatedly. Why not some sort of temperature based pun?

I'd ****ing love to see a show about the young Gordon from this show.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

I've also been toggling between watching Addams Family and Munsters in five episode chunks between Kamen Rider, and who shows up as a guest star in The Munsters? Why, it's none other than Harcourt Fenton Mudd! Or Roger C. Carmel. Who also voiced Cyclonus in Transformers. The game of connections you could play!
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

I watched Orange is the New Black season 1 on Blu-Ray and I can't wait to see season 2. Which means I loved it.

I also watched Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. season 1 on Blu-Ray and while it wasn't as great as OitNB season 1 was it did get good after Bill Paxton came in and it did have some of the surprises that came after the events of Captain America: The Winter Solider. It takes a long time to get out of first gear.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I took a short break from Kamen Rider Kuuga to watch the Super Hero Taisen crossover movies and they were so much fun. I realize they aren't really TV but they more or less go along with KR.

Also I've been kind of watching Power Rangers. By "kind of" I mean I've put them on Netflix at bed time and let it run til it turns itself off while I fall asleep. It's MMPR and I'm almost halfway through season 2 and it's so terrible but it's the closest I'm likely to ever get to watching Super Sentai.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I've just started watching Deadwood on DVD, one of the parts I like the most is the language, not the swearing but the old form of English they use, which is refreshing honestly.
Destruction is my specialty
Sades

Post by Sades »

Heroes is on Netfliiiiiiix, Hound's never seen it and I'm half tempted to wake him up to watch it with meeeee...