Chat Thread

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Sades wrote:edit: "Turn off your pager, Tommy! We can't have your friends beeping you in class!" Hahahahahaha, pager.
"Okay, very funny. You bought a beeper from Dennis. Can you take it off, now?"
"Oh, I can't. I'm expecting a very important phone call from 1994." [/30 Rock]
Sades

Post by Sades »

This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
G1Optimusprime9
Protoform

Post by G1Optimusprime9 »

Thanks Happy Late Easter
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sades

Post by Sades »

Well, Sludge might be a Brontosaurus fo realz again...

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-n ... 92/?no-ist
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Ha! Justice for Sludge!

Easter was nice despite working, I saw my sister in law for the first time since she got back from defending the Falklands, and it was interesting to hear a first hand account of how over the top and basically pointless our defence of those islands (a civilian population of 5000 plus vs an armed forces population of 4000 plus, they're perilously close to each member of the public having their own squadie to protect them). She's very much of the opinion the whole thing is a complete waste of resources and money (though of course, the one place the RAF don't spend any cash is on accommodation, with everyone living in huts built in 1981 to last four weeks) and everyone there should be given the choice of either becoming Argentinian or being given a sheep farm in the UK.

It was interesting to hear her passion about how she (and from what she was saying, pretty much everyone currently serving there) feels we're too overstretched in actual war zones to make such a heavy concentration on such a small area remotely worth it, especially compared to how the media present Our Boys.

In other, more cheerful news, I'm loving how if I mention a particular word like, for example, bunnies, on Twitter, a dedicated bunny twitter account that obviously has the word on search will automatically start following me without actually bothering to look at all the other non-bunny related tweets I do. Sigmund Freud obviously keeps finding the same tweet where I mentioned him as he follows, unfollows, and then follows me again on a regular basis.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Sh!t is getting real...

Started an accredited short course to get a measure of how I'd fare doing a degree. Seeing as my recommended reading material consists of several 500+ page books, I think I'll die slowly. And horrifically.

As it's a neat way for more job opportunities later on, I might as well go for it. Nothing wrong with my current job [extremely satisfied through and through], it would not hurt knowing I can go anything from 5-10k a year further in the future.

And happy belated Easter/actual Easter, depending on your religion :wave:
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Sades

Post by Sades »

You know what I hate? I hate it when people can't seem to do anything else but bitch about other people to you.

It's so tiring to sit/stand there there and be forced by social conventions to have to nod numbly/mumble in an agreeable fashion/make sympathetic faces while someone makes "conversation" out of how [person you vaguely know or work with] has done or said something they think is stupid, how this or that other person is not smart for this, how this is a fact, and that is a fact (even though they're actually opinions) and this other person is still stupid for having an opinion I don't agree with. Or something like that.

Generally, anyone who repeatedly talks about anyone/everyone else in a negative fashion as conversation. So ****ing boring and unpleasant.

/bitching about others :p

(I just needed to get that out, 'cause dude. Negativity is bad, m'kay. And no, it's not Hound! :p)
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Heh. There's a lot of that at my place. I just think, well they've done something wrong and you think they're silly. Isn't it better to let that person know so they don't repeat the mistake? And then I remember I work in the only place in the world where in terms of training and development, getting feedback is seen as a negative and actually hinders progession! Hooray! And so it remains a cauldron of seething cattiness and inter-departmental rivalry!

In other news, I sat through Wolf Of Wall Street. Crikey, its a long 'un.
inflatable dalek

Skyquake87 wrote:And then I remember I work in the only place in the world where in terms of training and development, getting feedback is seen as a negative and actually hinders progession! Hooray! And so it remains a cauldron of seething cattiness and inter-departmental rivalry!
"The only place"? So how long have we been working together then?

In exciting news, my employer today announced the fifth ever biggest annual loss of any British company. Go us!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

...that'll teach you to fiddle the figures by overstating profits based on future revenue! A standard retail wheeze of dubious persuasion - 'cos what happens if you don't sell what you expect? Oh, that's right, you end up in the sh*t.

Not that my place is a paragon of virtue, with its clever tax arrangements.

Our head office is in the Cayman Islands, you know. That huge building a few miles down the road from our site with all the security and where the company directors and whatnot work is just where we keep the paperclips. honest.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Skyquake87 wrote:! And so it remains a cauldron of seething cattiness and inter-departmental rivalry!
I worked in an office only two departments and all my co-workers did was talk shit about the only other people in the building.

In other employment news I've had a job at Home Bargains for about a week now but this morning I got offered a new job in a school so I'll be handing in my box cutter.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Sades

Post by Sades »

Skyquake87 wrote:Isn't it better to let that person know so they don't repeat the mistake?
Exactly. I'm constantly wondering why I'm the one hearing about this crap. I don't mind if it's once in awhile. Occasional whining is fine, everyone does that. But it's like every damn time I work with this one person I hear about what everyone else has been doing wrong, and that's almost all they talk about.

I'm probably not the only person hearing about it, though. Also, I'm pretty sure these same people are spouting off about me, probably to the person they were just spouting off about. :p I just wish it would stahhhhp. It's a decent job otherwise.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

The Tesco situation [6 million pounds?] was randomly brought up in a workshop I attended today.

A bit troubling indeed. And I say that for the people working in the company. Didn't we get a preview of this a few months back though?

Regarding workplace and "gossip"...it can be both disturbing and mildly amusing depending on the situation. I find it amusing that the people gossiping/spreading stuff are actually all smiles and pleasantries with the people they gossip about :lol:

Electro girl, congrats on the new job. Have you been contacted by St John since you have graduated, to ask about your progress in the workforce? Some disturbing stories are going around about how Universities grossly tamper with those results [not saying St John does so, what I read was for a uni that thoroughly remained anonymous!].
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
inflatable dalek

Knightdramon wrote:The Tesco situation [6 million pounds?] was randomly brought up in a workshop I attended today.
Six billion.

Though as it turned out we lied about our accounts last year who knows what the truth is.
Regarding workplace and "gossip"...it can be both disturbing and mildly amusing depending on the situation. I find it amusing that the people gossiping/spreading stuff are actually all smiles and pleasantries with the people they gossip about :lol:
Well yeah, the people who bitch to you bitch about you as well. I'm always amused when people moan about me to people who like me more than them and then not expect them to come tell me whilst pissing themselves laughing at my expense (*Slow hand clap* "You are loved").
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Skyquake87 wrote:Our head office is in the Cayman Islands, you know. That huge building a few miles down the road from our site with all the security and where the company directors and whatnot work is just where we keep the paperclips. honest.
I wonder how that tax dodge went over the first time someone figured out it was possible.

CEO: Gentlemen, I've discovered that we can obtain a significant tax savings if we relocate our headquarters to a tropical island.
Board Members: Excellent! We'll start packing right away. We'll have meetings on the beach!
CEO: No, no. We'll be staying here with the lousy winters with several feet of snow. Only our money will be staying someplace nice.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Sades

Post by Sades »

Bought my kid an outfit for convention season. Crap quality picture, but she was just the cutest ****ing thing this evening. Had to share.

Apologies in advance, people who might be sick of anything involving my kid/kids in general.

inflatable dalek

So is it because of my ongoing computer problems that I can't see anything or is it a really, really terrible picture?
Sades

Post by Sades »

Oh, hmm. well.

I deleted the attachment and had a mini heart attack when I could still see the image... It makes me feel better that you can't see it, because that means it's probably just cached or whatever the **** the term is. Well, hopefully.

[*yoink*]
inflatable dalek

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

I'm sorely tempted to go to an event in London Michael J. Fox is at (I'll admit it's morbid, but there's a sense of "It's probably the only chance I'll ever have to meet him") that lots of Power Rangers are at, including the green one.

If I go I'm going to get pictures with all the Rangers just to make Hound cry jealous tears.

Mind, the photo shot (that's basically all he's doing, no autographs understandably) options with Michael J. Fox are all Back to the Future based and don't include a single Teen Wolf one. Now that's a bit rubbish.
Sades

Post by Sades »

You could always go dressed as Teen Wolf.